Summer Has Arrived

Joe Papasnap Maher

Right where to start...

I didn't like the music, or feel the need for the "summer has arrived" introduction, but that all comes down to personal preference. The problem with where you based the video (the skatepark) is that there's only so much a trials rider like you can do. Put a rider who's more street orientated there and you'll get different results, but for a rider like youself, the moves you could do were limited. In fact all I learn from that video is that you can drop, fronthop, hook and x-up, and I think that's where the problem lies, the location limits your creativity.

This could have been solved by some exciting camera angles, but the tripod just reinforces how quiet and desolate the skatepark is, i.e. you're filming yourself. Some of the effects were ok, but they'd suit a faster video, others I don't think suit a trials video at all. I personally don't use effects much at all apart from a simple fade, or cross-fade. This might be because I got told off for playing with the effects by my film style and technique lecturer, but if you think about it, how many effects do you see on television... not many.

So the video wasn't too bad, the riding was certainly good. However as a viewer I felt there could have been more for me to see, as if the way it had been filmed (location, tripod) meant that I didn't see the full story (your ability.)

Sorry if it seems like a harsh review, but you sent me the link and asked for my opinion. I've tried to explain my thoughts instead of just saying I didn't like it. Also, I'm just one person, everybody else could love it for all I know...

Your post.

Fair comment stephen, i cant really argue.

Location, skatepark, if you lived where i lived, youd understand, you being a london crownie think the whole world is rosey and has walls everywhere, well ill tell you what, it isnt...the skatepark is all i have.

Erm..yer you say stick a diffrent rider in there..and youd get diffrent results...at the end of the day im riding a 1100wb bike....its a abit diffrent to when im over there on my bmx.

Tripod - 0, camer on floor, tilted up with phone - 1

angles...erm like to keep em simple, and not shit?? p.s its abit hard when the camera only films for 30 seconds, and you have to start it. do the the trick....then stop it...bit of a rush..

Empty skatepark, yes, was my day off, and kids are at school, but it doesnt get much busier.

As for editing, i didnt think i did a bad job, meh, and song descion, you cant please everyone ^_^

Cheers for the comment steve, will know next time just to move to a diffrent county :P

What you just said...

I know that I've got things good in London, and it must be irritating having nowhere decent to ride, but all I can do is talk about what I've seen. I'm not having a go at the way you're riding, I'm just saying that a skatepark isn't really the place for a trialsy trials bike.

As for your lack of tripod and decent camera, then well done for doing what you've done. The video could have been better if you had somebody to film you, it gives the film more life. Your angles were fine, but it's impossible to follow the rider through the frame when you're using a camera propped up on a mobile phone!

What else, empty skatepark - that wasn't a criticism, just an observation. I'm just not used to seeing a video with literally nobody in the background. It meant that any atmosphere was created by you and the music only.

As for the editing, the structure was absolutely fine. The riding went with the music, which is all you need to do. What I didn't like was the way you've used a lot of effects, what I personally believe to be too much.

I don't dislike your video, you've certainly done well with what you've got.

I can't really comment on the actual quality of editing, as it seemed fine to me. Although having read Stephens post, I can see all his points. All I can offer advice on are your hooks, hehe :P . Get them lower. Your pedal is above the wall when you hit it. Bring them down and hit it harder...

EDIT!!!11: You ride an 1100 in a skatepark much better than me. ^_^

Edited by Matt

I can't really comment on the actual quality of editing, as it seemed fine to me. Although having read Stephens post, I can see all his points. All I can offer advice on are your hooks, hehe  :- . Get them lower. Your pedal is above the wall when you hit it. Bring them down and hit it harder...

EDIT!!!11: You ride an 1100 in a skatepark much better than me. :P

I was hoping someone mention the hocks...(if that what you can call them)

ill give them another bash tomoz...i still dont really understand them:S

Again, skatepark is pretty limited, but i LOVE riding skateparks... ^_^

Good to hear it matt...next time i go y2sk8(indoor skatepark in peterbourough) ill try make another vid :P

Edited by JoeMaher

Hahaha... Nice one Joe, very fun to watch that was!!! ^_^ :P :thumbsup:

Very different to the rest... and some nice riding, only problem I find is that it was abit over edited but nothing totally over the top... but anyways was a class vid :P

Watson

Glad someone appreiactes it :P

:P

Sorry had to be said, I prefer your video to every Craig Lee Scott video. Sidehopping constantly bores me too.

Me to... that's why my new vid that will be out soon as a variety of moves and lines etc, to stop people getting bored out there tits of sidehops, gaps, sidehops, gaps, taps etc etc ^_^

Watson

Nah I'm sorry joe that song was wank! :P Other than that it was pretty good :P Nice bit of riding skills you got there, but as Mr Morris has said, very select few moves...

Good to see someone blunt an xtp :- and the xups were very nice too! You boon sooooo much though! I mean, I boon a lot, but that? RIDICULOUS :D

James ^_^

Nah I'm sorry joe that song was wank! :P Other than that it was pretty good :P Nice bit of riding skills you got there, but as Mr Morris has said, very select few moves...

Good to see someone blunt an xtp :- and the xups were very nice too! You boon sooooo much though! I mean, I boon a lot, but that? RIDICULOUS :D

James ^_^

boon, asin ride like boon...???? :">

Hop on the backwheel without kicking :P We call em boons down here...Sorry! Yeah I mean I do it alot but only on stuff I really wana get lined up for, such as drops, I'll boon right to the edge, otherwise its no more than 2-3 hops really...

James ^_^