Discs

Nick Garland

What To Do  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What To Do

• Stay With Avid Cable
    • Get Juicy 7
    • Get El-Camino

Hi there. I have an Avid 203mm already, its very nice indeed very pleased with it, but I still prefer the feel of a hydraulic disc. However much you clean the cable put new stuff on etc hydraulic always feels nicer. However I'm still unconvined as to getting a hydraulic for the £130 it would cost over the Aivd Cable.

The reason I have narrowed it down to the Camino and the Juicy 7 is that they are both adjustable, which I find a factor in brakes. I have been tempted by both but after using the Avid Cable Im not to sure what to do.

My Avid atm it 203mm and if damn powerful, the Camino would be the 8" version and a 203mm Juicy 7 if I were to change.

So help me decide. Ive heard good things about all of them. Money isnt an issuse so if anyone mentions "its not worth paying another £60 on top" Im not bothered its not a value for money situation.

Cheers Nick

Judging from you posts in other disc topics, you seem to love the avid mechanical too much to change...

I would personally keep the avid, i honestly dont think that hydraulics feel any better, the only hydraulic i would ever opt for would be the hope mono trial, have you thought about getting that? I would say it would feel nicer than an avid hydraulic?

If you're going to change then get the Juicy 7. If its that close and you don't mind about money then think about the practicalitys, the Juicy 7 is going to be much easier to home bleed if you get any problems, but hayes disks mostly have to be taken to a shop. You could try changing your Avids lever, I find that makes the biggest difference to any mechanical break. Try an XTR.

Ive already got an XTR (Y) I was tempted to buy some braided hosing for the Avid Mech but thought about changing the actual system too.

As for Hopes, great discs deffinately, but, I've always hadproblems with them leaking, all 5 of them. Also they dont have the adjustability of the others I've mentioned.

Edited by Team War Rider

i was reading up about the juicy, apparently they feel amazing, but lack bite, which for me is very important on a front trials brake

however i cant see how you arent happy with your avid, i run a avid 185 with an ultimate lever and nokon cables and its frickin amzing

ok its an expensive setup but everyone who has used it has commented how bloody light and smooth it feels-and the power is immense-i think thats worth a go as hydraulics feel heavy after using this setup

i used to run an xtr on some avid cable on my old 160 avid-and that felt silly nice too

try out a juicy, they do sound good and we may be all surprised, the camino however im unsure about, like mentioned they are a bitch to bleed, but hayes brakes for me have always been very reliable, so you will probably never have to rebleeed it...well not for ages anyway

I'd go for the Juicy if your sure about changing but keep the cable set up too. Never know.. you might just want that little cable back.

NBRtrials or something like that has a Juicy and he was giving it loads of praise a while back. Maybe you should contact him.

NBRtrials or something like that has a Juicy and he was giving it loads of praise a while back. Maybe you should contact him.

203mm rotor, on a mod bike... to be fair, any disc would work well at that size on a 20" wheel.