Web Design..

Siders77

Hey people, Well what I want to do is start designing a website. At the moment i've tried FrontPage (which I got on quite well with) But there wasn't that much that I could do to make the site look good. I've tried Dreamweaver MX and didn't get get on well with that 'cause I found it too damn hart to get the hang of.

So, what programs would you guys recommend? I don't really want to use HTML (I think that's what it's called :"> ) I just want something like FrontPage but with more features, if you get me.

Many thanks :turned:

Dreamweaver is frontpage with more features essentially. You want a super easy web editor like frontpage that can do complex things? Its not like that - web design is essentially fairly hard if you want to do it at a high level!

Generally accepted top tools of the trade - Photoshop 7 or CS, Dreamweaver, Notepad. Oh and as many browsers as possible to test the site on to make sure it looks the same on all.

Oh right, well thanks for your help! As you can probably see, I don't know much about web design! :">

With Dreamweaver, is there any way that I can have it just like Frontpage so that I can design the layout not in HTML? Sorry if you don't understand me! :turned: :">

Have fun trying to design a website without using HTML. Using Dreamweaver or Flash won't make your site look good - they'll just extend the possibilities. For good websites the code has to be backed up with good graphics. I design the graphics in PSP or Photoshop and then cut them up and build them into an HTML page.

Erm, I have no idea what you're talking about! Sorry.

As you can see i'm a newbie to all of this web design. Has anyone used those HTML For Dummies books? I may invest in one of those if they're any good. Or does anyone know any links for the web?

Using dreamweaver instead of frontpage wont make you any better at designing websites.. I started off using frontpage, if your new to designing sites (which you are) then Id reccomend using it.

Once your a little better you can work out how to use dreamweaver (I still dont know how to use that really).

Textpad all the way for me nowadays :turned:

And as for learning HTML, id reccomend right clicking on any web page and going to 'view source', and trying to copy a few ideas, thats how I learnt :S

W3Schools Tutorials

If you want to design a good site you HAVE to know HTML. If you want somewhere to show a few pictures to the world then you can do that without knowing it and using a program but it will be simple and a bit rubbish looking.

I don't know about everyone else but I think Dreamweaver just makes things faster. It's like a graphical way of typing code. Especially when using php/asp and database sites, the database thing is amazing in dreamweaver for making complex database operations in seconds. Of coarse you could type it all out manually but it's so much easier in DW. And thats all dreamweaver is about. It's designed around creating code from your knowlage of HTML, not sites from your ideas.

You wouldn't use Dreamweaver to make a site if you didn't know about HTML I don't think. You wouldn't know the limitations of the language or what was possible.

Knowlage is the key :huh:

The only reason i use dreamweaver is because im lazy when it comes to mass HTML sections, like designing a table, or a form. The PHP syntax highlighting is also a god send, along with the code suggestions and hints.

Something no one has mentioned is "Net Objects Fusion". Not quite sure what version its on, but if you wan't to just let your creative juices flow, without having the constraints of knowing little, or no HTML, then this piece of software will do you great. Its a WYSIWIG (i think) on a much, much more beginner friendly scale. You positition an object in the program, and on the site, thats exactly where you will see it.

If you wan't to advance, i would suggest not using NOF, as its very restrictive when it comes to advance stuf.