Braking

How many fingers do you use in your brakes?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. How many fingers do you use in your brakes?

• Rear 1, Front 1
    • Rear 2, Front 1
    • Rear 2, Front 2
    • Rear 1, Front 2

I personnally use 2 on the back and only one on the front. people say that i need to only use one on the back and it will make me a much better rider... If I do use 2 my brake slips (even with the roughest grind i can get and heatsink konigs) and I feel scared.

What do you think?

Edited by terror-error

You're so much better off holding each brake lever with just the one finger. That way you're maximising your grip strength on the bars and at the same time braking efficiently. If you're holding the brake with two fingers then the chances of you losing hold of the bars is bigger.

If your brakes don't lock and hold well with one finger then your brake simply isn't good enough.

If your brakes don't lock and hold well with one finger then your brake simply isn't good enough.

I agree, overall.

How long have you been riding? What sort of standard are you at? Whats the full setup of your brake? Mod or stock?

I agree, overall.

How long have you been riding? What sort of standard are you at? Whats the full setup of your brake? Mod or stock?

Iv been riding for 10 month now, its hard to say what standard of riding im at... i can backwheel 36", sidehop 32", gap 7 foot static, gap 8/9 foot rolling, and loads more stuff.

I ride mod (onza T-pro 05)

I have a 05 magura, bled with maggy blood (havnt had time to change to water) with heatsink konigs and the roughest grind every!!!

I was riding today with only one finger, but i just couldnt release the brake and it got really tired after about 1 hour!!!! so i just went back to using 2.

BTW, iv had loads of diffrent brake setups, with my old 04 maggy. (tar, rough grinds, heatsink batch B's)

My brake doesnt slip, i just cannot release it.

Still using the Hog rim it came with?

It sounds like you just need to let your finger get used to it...

You say its not a locking problem, although you said earlier it was? Which is it?

One more thing - at what point do you have your brake coming on? Early? Late?

I would also advise changing to water, it makes the brake feel a lot lighter. Make sure you flush the oil out beforehand though. Try a search for info of how to do that.

It isnt a lock problem any more, it used to be with my really old Batch B's, but it locks, just my finger gets tired.

Yeah im still using the hog rim.

I know how to bleed a brake. my old brake was bled with water and was the best brake I had ever had!! absolutly rapid, then it got nicked :)

I made this post to see how many people are like me (using 2 fingers)

Oh yeah, and just for the record, iv always used 2 fingers, ALLWAYS!, with disks on my jump bike, my bmx, my freeride bike. I just lernt to hold on very well with 2 fingers. (try doing a 9 foot drop and landing wonky on the backwheel but without your hands falling off whislt travveling at about 20MPH) I just hold.... lol

Sorry

i use two fingures rear and one front, im not actually sure why i do it like this though :)" i think it just because when i use one fingure on me rear it slips now and again... with two fingures i know it wont move any where...

I am looking to buy an RB lever for my rear magura as i can use one fingure with these as me mate uses one.

Will ;)