Do You Have To Use A Tensionar With Single Speed?

Trials Boy

yes its usually a good idea to run a chain tensioner otherwise you will damage your frame / hub / chain from it being too tight or loose , you could try runnign a half link to sort out the chain tension but it still wont be perfect , so the best bet is to just run a tensioner and be safe

Ok thanks mate. :o :o

Do you mean do you have to run some kind of tensioner when you have singlespeed, or whether or not you can use a rear mech or tensioner etc? Anyways, it is best to use some kind of tensioner whether it be a rear mech or proper tensioner. A rear mech works the same though and is cheaper if you have one lying around somewhere. Just use an old bit of brake cable (with the bobbly bit on the end) to hold the rear mech in the gear you want, and voila, you have tension. :o

Do you mean do you have to run some kind of tensioner when you have singlespeed, or whether or not you can use a rear mech or tensioner etc? Anyways, it is best to use some kind of tensioner whether it be a rear mech or proper tensioner. A rear mech works the same though and is cheaper if you have one lying around somewhere. Just use an old bit of brake cable (with the bobbly bit on the end) to hold the rear mech in the gear you want, and voila, you have tension. :o

This is what i mean:

dankobike.jpg

Dan Ko's bike, he doesn't use anything.....??

I used to run my mech as a tensioner but since putting a new (unstretched) chain on, the tension is about right without anything so I've removed it, running the bike like Dan's above.

On a similar note, do mech hangers take any load off of the frame? Do you reckon it's ok if I take the hanger off the frame completely without damaging the frame?

Dave

Yesterday i thought i had the same problem.

I took had to snapped links only on one side though if you get me :o and my chain was to loose so i took them ad links out and then when it was back together me chain snapped. And i also had bent teeth on my ring.

So i took my bike into the local bike shop and got them to put me my neew ring on and a new chain. They said you will probably have to use a tensioner one of theese : Click on the link to see !

But then they rang me up and said i dont need one because the chain was ok.

But i will still problably have to get one whan the chain slacks of

Chris :o

I used to run my mech as a tensioner but since putting a new (unstretched) chain on, the tension is about right without anything so I've removed it, running the bike like Dan's above.

On a similar note, do mech hangers take any load off of the frame? Do you reckon it's ok if I take the hanger off the frame completely without damaging the frame?

Dave

your qr bolts into the mech hanger so if you took it off your qr would only bolt onto half a dropout ? im not sure about the t-rex frame though

your qr bolts into the mech hanger so if you took it off your qr would only bolt onto half a dropout ? im not sure about the t-rex frame though

I've got a CK with funbolts, but yes, with the hanger off the hub will clamp down on half the material as with the hanger. I'm just not sure if the hanger itself takes any load or if it simply provides a mounting point for the mech/tensioner.

Dave

Now ive gone to 20-16 ratio I can run without a tensioner on my zoo boa. The chain was stupidly tight beforehand, just filed 1/2 mm out of the front of both dropouts and its perfect. Its great, cos the drive is instant with no slap or noise, one of the best mods to my bike Ive made :o

But i will still problably have to get one whan the chain slacks of

Chris  :o

Looks like i am going to have to get one tomorrow !

Went rinding for an hour and the brand new chain has slackend of quite abit !

So i am going to have to by them tensioner things now.

Never mind its achually pritty good because i can adjust my chain when ever i want and how ever :o

I've got a CK with funbolts, but yes, with the hanger off the hub will clamp down on half the material as with the hanger. I'm just not sure if the hanger itself takes any load or if it simply provides a mounting point for the mech/tensioner.

No, it's not a load-bearing piece of alu flavour cheese. Take it off if you like. But as Daahnhillaaaa said, you might have to use a spacer or something to allow it to fit properly :o

You could always use a snapped mech hangar if you have oone that fits and keep the fresh one incase you change your mind about a rear mech.

I would run one if poosible because if you land on your chain and its too tight itll snap, if you do the same running a mech it bounnces a bit so wont snap.

not really very safe to just run a chain as when the chain gets streched it will slip, also when u go to bash your chain will be incontact with the wall this will damge your hub/chainring and chain, i would recomend the rholoff tensioner there are a bit expensive at around £40 but worth ever penny, lighter than an xtr mech to :P

Its not really wise to run a vertical dropout bike with no tensioner because there is always the risk of when you kick and the chain tensions it could pull the rear wheel out. your better of just having a rear mech and locking it out. works a treat :huh: (Y)