Computers And Care.....

rocktrials

do you defrag?????  

43 members have voted

1. 1. do you defrag?????

• yes
    • no
    • i like monkeys (whats defrag?)

I don't think it makes too much difference. Certainly not a noticible one anyway. That's just from experience, although other people might find different things. A reformat is always good, but I've not noticed any real slow-down on my PC. I think if you have enough ram, it's not that much of an issue...

Yeah I defrag quite alot, as its must better to do it frequently and it take 15 mins than do it once a year and take 2 days. but I store everything very neatly and dont put crap on it

its nothing to do with how neatly you store things, its to do with the way windows optimizes free disk space. for instance, your cache paging file changes size constantly and windows writes its data in the nearest possible location, to save time but at the same time, it makes mess - which defrag cleans up.

if you really want windows to load fast.. then find out the size of your windows directory + the documents and setting dir... (shuld be around 2gb for the windows dir (xp pro)) then add say 2GB to your total. then make a hard disk partition to the size of your total, and install windows on it. (obviously removing the old one 1st, altho, to partition, u will need to format anyway)

this makes it load soo much faster as windows scans the disk to which it is installed, as part of a routine check while loading. by partitioning it , windows only scans the the partition its installed in. so if you have a 40gb hdd, and you partition 10gb to windows, then thats 30gb its not gona have to scan when loading.

this also seems to speed up defrag, and you have the choice of fraggin the smaller ,more important sector, or the bigger sector (which will be storage, for ur program files etc)

Also, if you have 2 hdds , then set the windows paging file to be on the disk that windows is not installed on. then it can process its caching on a seperate disk without interrupting i/o operations on the os disk.

Ry

for instance, your cache paging file changes size constantly and windows writes its data in the nearest possible location, to save time but at the same time, it makes mess - which defrag cleans up.

Thats only if you leave it as bog standard - if you set it at a static size on your first boot of windows, it wont fragment up like mad as it only uses the same set size paging area.

Defragmenting is a good idea to do say, once a month, leave it on overnight when you arent going to be using it sometime :)

I just re-format instead of defragging.

Start from fresh, that's what makes your computer run faster.

But then you have to install EVERYTHING all over again! :) :(

I defrag weekly, thats enough for me :)

Edited by Trials Boy