What Is Your Opinion Of A Working Brake?

JT!

Just been reading through the pad review thread and i have noticed that people's opinions don't match. Not exactly a big suprise as when it comes down to opinions TF tends to become a bit of a warzone. But what i'm getting at is: Is your opinion of a working brake the same as everybody elses.

Some people, acording to the pad review thread are saying they run zoo pads on a grind, and they are doing ok. And some people say they have run zoo's on a grind and they have lasted 3 days. :( It's the same with the green rimjams, i read one post where someone has ran rimjam greens on a smooth rim, with a tiny bit of tar, and found it ok. Where as when i did this i had the crappiest brake i had had since i had my kool stops on.

I don't really go on big group rides, so i have never gone on anyone elses bike and had ago with other people brake setup, this is why i'm asking really.

I have a mate who rides with kool stops on a smooth rim with tar. And i don't know how he dares do anything remotly big. And i'm sure people are thinking the same about me, not having a grind.

So, When you get on someone elses bike, does their brakes feel better worse or the same, or just different. Maby having more bite, and less hold, or visa-versa.

It's thoughts like this that completely put me off buying pads that have been recomended, as i believe that some peoples opinion of a working brake is pretty crap brake. :)

Edited by JT!

True , it's entirely subjective , and largely related to what you're used to . One crucial distinction , however is between effectiveness and "feel. "

My current rear set up ( an XT lever operating a V-Brake ) feels spongy and unresponsive at the lever , but offers plenty of controllable stopping power . Feels crappy - works great . A review is only one individual's opinion , and there are further factors like set up and intercompatability of rim / pads etc .

I know full well that the pros all run Magura HS33s , but I'm not gonna change what "feels" best for me , just 'cause it's popular. If I trust the brake setup , I'll stick with it .

I used to run kool stops on a smooth rim with tar, and they worked fine. Apply a fair bit of tar and probably any pads have awesome bite and lock, at least thats what I find.

But to me a working brake is something which has tonnes of lock but can be modulated (a pretty hard brake to get)

ZOO! pads ://: Smooth Rim ://: Tiny amount of Tar.

Awesome lock and bearly slips on anything! Best brake ever!

Scotty

No, it isn't.

You used tar, which in my books, makes it the worst brake on the planet.

As Adam's signature used to say "You could use chipolata with tar, and it would work".

A good brake is one which doesn't require tar. No matter how much you argue, if you have to resort to tar, then your brake is shit. End of.

No, it isn't.

You used tar, which in my books, makes it the worst brake on the planet.

As Adam's signature used to say "You could use chipolata with tar, and it would work".

A good brake is one which doesn't require tar. No matter how much you argue, if you have to resort to tar, then your brake is shit. End of.

same could be said for usin a grind!

'if you use tar its not a good working brake'

the simple fact is, no matter what you have to use to make a brake work, if it works then it works the end, tar or no tar, grind or no grind.

If the brake locks up then it works well.

but i like :

water bled

medium grind

brown koxx bloxx

with a bit of tar. :) works wonders. it locks up awesome and has got unbelieveable (sp) bite.

I spose, but then:

1. Certain brake blocks are specifically designed to be used with a grind, i don't see a 'tar specific' pad out :)

2. Shit blocks on a grind will still be shit. Shit blocks with tar will work the same as 'mega' blocks, as 'you could use a chipolata with tar and it would work' 'cos of the way it's the tar doing the sticking, not the pad.

Anyways:

My idea of a working set up would be one that didn't slip, whatever conditions it was faced with :(

a brake with bite but lots mor hold. it has to be able to hold when the wheel movement is forwards and backwards with ease.

Also it needs to work good in wet/damp/humid conditions.

Im currently using a ronnie with a grind(and with bits broken off it!) with some red koxx bloxx.

At first i thought they were ok, not as good as my zoo pads with a grind or no where near as good as my zoo pads with tar.

but then all of a sudden they kicked in! best brake ive ever had that works in all weather, with no tar, and under immense amounts of pressure.

But theyll only last about 2 months.

depends what you want it for.

working for me means a bit of bite yet good modulation (you can guess why). i use red pads on a smooth rim and i have done forever - whatever you may say about x, y and z pads/rims this setup does work most of the time.

BUT the thing about my brake is, you can have it both ways. if i had a harsh grind and super sticky pad...i couldn't manual or do anything remotely smoothly.

but IF i need that extra bite for say a big rail gap or something, splodge on a tiny bit of tar for the extra hold and the job's a goodie. give it a little while and it's worn off, thus allowing you to ride more streety again.

so mine works, for me, in both cases and disciplines.

maybe working for everyone else apart from me is "super f**king grabby" - but you won't see them manualling or owt so they're stuck with it one way.

working for me means a bit of bite yet good modulation (you can guess why). i use red pads on a smooth rim and i have done forever - whatever you may say about x, y and z pads/rims this setup does work most of the time.

BUT the thing about my brake is, you can have it both ways. if i had a harsh grind and super sticky pad...i couldn't manual or do anything remotely smoothly.

but IF i need that extra bite for say a big rail gap or something, splodge on a tiny bit of tar for the extra hold and the job's a goodie. give it a little while and it's worn off, thus allowing you to ride more streety again.

maybe working for everyone else apart from me is "super f**king grabby" - but you won't see them manualling or owt so they're stuck with it one way.

shouldnt maunel using your brake anyway if your good at manualling.

But i see your point.

If you think about it the weight of the person will make a huge difference. Iam constanly setting me breaks up as soon as they don't work as good as i want them to as iam pritty tall and built. I myself run a grind and tar with heatsink pads and seems to be alright at the moment

yeah weight of the person is also an important factor, I am 10 stone and my setup works great for me and the way I ride.

but i know that my mate kev is nearer 15 stone and he rides in a 'more natural' style than me and i know he doesn't get on with my brake very well.

mike

actually mate, my back brake is one of the best working i have ever felt, and is grabby as fook!! and i can manual like a slag!

btw i run brown bloxx on a grind with a smudge of tar!!!

joE! getting me new pads soon though!! :blink:

Hmm, i see loads of people recommending koxx browns on a grind, but most of these people have tar on their grind :blink: Suggesting that the reason for the ware rate being so slow is because they are hard as tits, giving a poopy brake...

Then again, i'd be willing accept a faster ware rate if i was getting a descent brake like i am at the minute with a medium grind and Rimjam Greens, no tar needed.

I run zoo pads on a medium grind with no tar and they lock amazingly with a nice loud squeal. However, the modulation is still there for some manuals etc but i dont think that i will grind my rim again as i miss being able to manual and do other streety moves when i feel like it. Also all my mates brakes feel crap with a grind because they run hard pads where as zoo pads are soft so they lock well but dont last long.

I used to run kool stops on a smooth rim with tar, and they worked fine. Apply a fair bit of tar and probably any pads have awesome bite and lock, at least thats what I find.

But to me a working brake is something which has tonnes of lock but can be modulated (a pretty hard brake to get)

You see this is what i'm getting at, i could not use that setup. I wouldn't be able to ride. I would be able to do things my bike couldn't.

ZOO! pads ://: Smooth Rim ://: Tiny amount of Tar.

Awesome lock and bearly slips on anything! Best brake ever!

Scotty

Thats what i'm running at the moment, but alot of tar. And i'm quite happy with it.

But like Simon was saying, a working brake dosn't use tar, people using tar are probably getting all pissed of at him, thinking i use tar and i have a good brake. But there are people who have really shit setups, maura blacks half of the smooth rim, who think they have a great setup. Simon looks down on our brake setup, and we would look down on theirs.

I think at the end of the day, it's what you get used to. If i got a grind and some proper hard pads, i probably wouldn't go back to using tar. But at the moment i am used to my brake, and never used a grind, so i happy as i am now. I supose you could compare it to beening blind from birth, and then just being happy, and content, as you consider yourself normal, becuase you never have been able to see, so you don't know how good it is.

:blink:

Edited by JT!