Problems

pinky

Ive just built my pc and got it to work but the screen keeps like doing a countdown and then the pc restarts itself its really annoying I can get to the windows taskbar and everything but only for 5 minutes, the only thing I can think of is that I took out the little fan on the gfx card because it wouldnt spin and it might of caused the gfx card itself to overheat ^_^

any suggestions?

pinky

EDIT Makes some sense now

:-

Edited by pinky@shitbmx

I havent connected to the internet the monitor goes ping ping and then goes off and then the pc restarts about 20 seconds after that, where can I get a decent aftermarket cooler for a 9700 pro built by gigabyte ^_^

cheers

pinky

Well you could have a virus if youve put anything on there that hasnt come say, directly from the manufacturer or games producer. Copying files to it from a CDR you burned on another machine could get you a virus too you know.

But it sounds to me just like cooling - rather than the graphics card frying itself its automatic temperature safety limiter probably powers down the card so you dont burn out the core. It seems too likely to ignore - you know theres a problem with the cooling, then youve suddenly got the monitor losing signal and random restarts....

But it sounds to me just like cooling - rather than the graphics card frying itself its automatic temperature safety limiter probably powers down the card so you dont burn out the core.  It seems too likely to ignore - you know theres a problem with the cooling, then youve suddenly got the monitor losing signal and random restarts....

Hopefully

Artic cooler coming tommorow hopefully and il let you know what happens :lol:

pinky

Yeah, you blatently need a fan on a 9700. My 9800 has a fan, and even so on a hot day, the heatsink gets burning hot. Literally, you could burn yourself on it :lol: So fix that. I would have thought you would see some core artefacts (little dots everywhere on the screen) before the PC just turned off, but I don't know what soft of stuff the 9700 does. But fix that.