The Big Question

boon racoon

i get how the fly stops but not the train

The fly is squashed against the front of the train while it is stopped. Therefore seeing as they are attatched they are travelling at the same speed. Stopped.

Under the "conservation of momentum", ignoring air resistance etc, this means that if a fly which had a mass of 1g was going at 1,000,000,000 m/s

Approaching the speed of light like this, time from the perspective of the fly would slow down. This is to avoid the sum of the velocities (speeds) of other objects in the universe and the fly being greater than the speed of light, which is relativity.

At the speed of light, therefore, time would have to stop to avoid the train and any other particle from having an observed (by the fly) relative speed of greater than the speed of light.

The fly stopped the train by stopping time

Edited by Extreme_biker0

The fly is squashed against the front of the train while it is stopped.  Therefore seeing as they are attatched they are travelling at the same speed.  Stopped.

Ahhhh, i get it now cheers

and the slinky one depends on the speed of the esculator

The fly stops to change it's direction, but the train also has to "stop" to make this process occur. It may stop for 0.0000000000000000000000000000001 of a second, but you just can't see it happen.

no the fly stops for that long maybe but not the train, a train does not stop when a fly hits it! the only time when a fly stops moving is when it is squishing on the window, and if the front of the train in slanted then it would just bounce off it and go up!!!

joE!

no the fly stops for that long maybe but not the train, a train does not stop when a fly hits it! the only time when a fly stops moving is when it is squishing on the window, and if the front of the train in slanted then it would just bounce off it and go up!!!

joE!

Ok, think about it like this, millions of flies in a line keep pelting the train, it starts to slow down and eventually comes to a complete stop. It's like if a wrecking ball hits a wall, it stops as it hits the wall but then continues to move through the wall.

All this speed of light stuff is bollocks. All that happens is that the fly causes a slight deflection of whatever surface it hits (E.g. The glass of the widescreen). It then causes a minute vibration as the glass "springs" back to where it was. Vibrations --> noise.

Momentum (kgm/s) = mass (kg) x velocity (m/s) yeh?

So if the train's going really slowly, say 10 m/s (same as a sprinter), and weighs what, 10 (metric) tonnes (= 10,000kg), so it's momentum = 10,000 * 10 = 1,000,000 kgm/s.

And a fly weighs what 1g (=0.001kg)?

Under the "conservation of momentum", ignoring air resistance etc, this means that if a fly which had a mass of 1g was going at 1,000,000,000 m/s (2,236,000,000 miles an hour), then it could stop a train which had a mass of 10 tonnes and was going at 10 m/s (22.36mph)

Man I'm bored. :)

GEEK :P

Pauly

only joooken spike

The fly stops to change it's direction, but the train also has to "stop" to make this process occur. It may stop for 0.0000000000000000000000000000001 of a second, but you just can't see it happen.

The train cannot stop, there may be a few molicules where the fly has hit that could stop for a few nano seconds, but not the whole trials. It's impossible.

Edited by JT!

Work this one out people! Physics teacher was on about this a while ago, dont think we ever worked it out properly., So yeah...what happens?!

Yes, it can, becuase in the suttle, there is oxegen. Why is that so hard to work out?

Can you have fire without gravity though? Maybe the fire depends on heat rising away from the frame, "sucking in" oxygen from around. I dunno, I don't think anyone can say the answer unless they've tried it?

You can enjoy candlelight suppers in microgravity, such as on the International Space Station. As long as there's oxygen, candles will just burn differently.

On Earth, buoyant convection turns a candle flame teardrop-shaped and carries soot to the flame's tip, making it yellow. In microgravity, where convective flows are absent, the flame is spherical, soot-free and clear blue. And candles in space last longer, due to the slower delivery of oxygen through diffusion.

The only drawback is dodging the occasional floating balls of liquid candlewax!

How about that.

A fire on a shuttle or any manned spacecraft is pretty deep shit really. It takes up all the oxygen f**kin quickly and without gravity it can spread much quicker although the lack of burnables might slow it down a bit.

As for the fly shizzle I'm pretty sure that because of the train's huge amount of energy and the fly's tiny amount means that the train will decelerate the *tiniest* amount but will in no way stop.

And earlier I was thinking about why the fly can't just instantly go from 100m/s to 0 and I really can't think of a reason. I know it should have to decelerate then accelerate but when the train has that much more energy surely the fly changes speed so quickly it cannot be measured in time as it is an instant event?

Oh and I think a fly performs a flip just before it reaches the ceiling, at least that's what I think I've seen. But who cares all flys deserve to die, I like my spiders :)

The fly is squashed against the front of the train while it is stopped.  Therefore seeing as they are attatched they are travelling at the same speed.  Stopped.

Approaching the speed of light like this, time from the perspective of the fly would slow down.  This is to avoid the sum of the velocities (speeds) of other objects in the universe and the fly being greater than the speed of light, which is relativity.

At the speed of light, therefore, time would have to stop to avoid the train and any other particle from having an observed (by the fly) relative speed of greater than the speed of light.

The fly stopped the train by stopping time

No, the tiny area of glass the fly hits is what takes the impact, therefore because it isn't 100% rigid, that particular area of glass bends back a little. Then, the shockwaves as it 'springs' back into place and a little too far forward (Because of the way it springs back it doesn't just go back to normal, obviously) mean that it's technically going faster than the train.

So in answer to the question: Yes, a fly can stop a tiny, tiny amount of glass on the very front of the train (assuming it hits the window. Exchange "glass" for "metal" if you mean the other part), but not the actual train itself.

So in answer to the question: Yes, a fly can stop a tiny, tiny amount of glass on the very front of the train (assuming it hits the window. Exchange "glass" for "metal" if you mean the other part), but not the actual train itself.

I would never have guessed! ;) Thank god I don't have to dodge flys in my car now. I knocked down twelve walls and killed 16 pedestrians today alone.

Edit: It would be good though, if you could say arm police helicopters with flys in a big cage and when there is a car chase they release the flys and the rotors blow them down onto the road bringing the car to an imediate halt. This shit could save lives. We need more people like me on the force.

Edited by Extreme_biker0

I would never have guessed!  ;) Thank god I don't have to dodge flys in my car now.  I knocked down twelve walls and killed 16 pedestrians today alone.

Edit:  It would be good though, if you could say arm police helicopters with flys in a big cage and when there is a car chase they release the flys and the rotors blow them down onto the road bringing the car to an imediate halt.  This shit could save lives.  We need more people like me on the force.

Or the police could have guns and shoot the driver.