Vw Polo Gt Coupe

MadManMike

Hi to everyone that helped me decide on the Polo. I'm currently trying to get one, it's £600 H Reg... Quite nice.

Anyway, what I want to know:

How Many Valves? (8 or 16?)

Horsepower? (Is it over 80 brake?)

0-60 Times? (Under 10 secs?)

Would Golf BBS Alloys fit? (They are 15's but I don't know the number of bolts on a Polo, the wheels have 4, would they fit?)

Any help would be great...

As has been mentioned, it's an 8 valve, and puts out around 75bhp, which is good for 60 in about 11 secs. And the wheels should fit, the Polo uses four bolts, which should be the same as the wheels you took off the Golf. I wouldn't stick anything any bigger than 15's on though, else you're going to need to start modding the arches.

Anyways, good choice of car, they're pretty inexpensive to run, reasonable performance if it's your first car, and pretty reliable for the most part. I've had mine for about 3 years now, and it was my brothers for 3 years before that.

gallery_4611_744_41359.jpg

The wheels are 4X100 pcd so if the current ones are then they should fit fine. The max size you should put on are 14's really as these are what come on the g40 as standard. I'm assuming you're thinking about putting R.A's on like these?

gallery_2315_278_19061.jpg

It's an 8 valve digifant multi point injection engine and has about 75 hp on a 1275cc engine, they are pretty nippy but if you are looking for a "quick" car you'd be better going for a g40 mk 3 polo or a mk2 8v golf gti.

I have to be careful as a first car, I looked at the G40 but even at 21 most wouldn't insure me. You are correct a about the BBS wheels, except the ones i'm putting on are limited edition black spoked silver deep dish BBS ones.. They are super sexy.

Thanks for the link by the way, very interesting.

things to check for on them....

1. Water/petrol can collect under the arch trims and underseal and leave you with rust problems. Keep a good eye out for this.

2. Also check the runners above the rear lights as dirt can collect, block the runners and cause rust too. These problems seem to be less severe with metallic cars.

3. Check where the petrol filler neck connects to the tank as they rust through.

4. Check the back of the battery for rust

5. Check round the window rubbers for signs of a respray

6. check in the boot for the boot sticker and to see if the boot floor has any bends/ripples in it (signs of accident damage).

7. Check the front wings for the VW logo and clips each side

8.Check the bonnet for the rubber buffers when it's closed

9. Head gasket blows around 80k.

10. The mounting plate holding the fuel pump, in-line fuel filter etc at the back of the car suffers badly from rust. Be sure to replace this as soon as. By either making your own or ordering a new part.

11. If the Polo hesitates for no apparent reason, when accelarating or just travelling along at a constant speed (like you've tapped the brakes on and off) this could be a sign that it needs a new throttle body potention meter. Around £40-£60.

12. If there is scratched paintwork on the door sills, it's a sign the door has dropped and needs adjusted.

13. If there is a buzzing noise, or the sound like an airplane overhead when driving. This is a sign of a knackered wheel bearing

• 8 months later...

you WILL need longer wheel bolts if you wish to fit 14" BBS RAs as i have. (PM me and ill get you the exact sizes! (Y) )

polo g40s etc came with 13" BBS RAs as standard.

Checking the fuel tank filler neck and where it joins the tank is ESSENTIAL, good work that man who already posted this.

Mines only a lowly 55bhp 1.3 and not the gt.. yet... ;) but to be honest.. its very nippy around town. Its only really on motorways i long for more power.

The cars themselves are pretty strong and take a good beating, both mechanically and from impacts and the like, so far, i give em a glowing report! :D

Fuse.. i am so stupidly jelous of your half coded bumpers... i plan on also doing my grab handle and spoiler shortly!

Since ive got the opportunity.. heres a pic of mine - on the 14" golf wheels. (needs lowering as the arch gap is huge)

IPB Image

and.. with a friends, before i got my bumper splitter and new badge sorted

IPB Image

Best of luck, Josh.

LOL that's what I was thinking...

Swift GTi is the way forward everyone: 100 bhp in a car that weighs just over 3/4 ton... Plus its only £60 more to insure and is cheap to tax being a small 1.3 :)

Until next year when I get my Integra Type-R! Well if all goes to plan anyway :blink:

Until next year when I get my Integra Type-R! Well if all goes to plan anyway :blink:

I wouldn't hold your breath, I've been looking into buying a performance Honda, and even at 23/24, insurance companies are reluctant to let me have a type-r. Probably just going to settle for the GSR Integra.

I'd keep the Swift for a few years, they are good little cars, and very quick considering their running costs (Y)

Yeah i'll be 23 next year - perhaps 25 is a more realistic target then :)

I'm liking the swifts because it's pretty easy to get them up to 140 bhp without heavy modding (4 branch manifold, straight through exhaust, air filter etc...) Cheap as chips really too!

. You are correct a about the BBS wheels, except the ones i'm putting on are limited edition black spoked silver deep dish BBS ones.. They are super sexy.

Thanks for the link by the way, very interesting.

please please post a picture of them :o I want my g40 wheels done in black

BBS g40 wheels are 13" by the way aswell :-

Yeah an Eaton is the way forward if funds permit...

Get a nice de-cat system too and it'll roar like anything :D :D

If you want a performance chip & de-cat downpipe I can put you in touch with someone mate...

Edited by MadManMike