Power?

rich4130

Soon as you stop pedalling you slow down, lose power and don't get up the rock. With street you can get away with not pedalling constantly because your ona surface that is flat and has good grip = no wheel spin. On natural you will be hard pushed to find something that is truley flat and even if you do your more than likely going to wheel spin if you coast in to something and try to put all the power down at once.

The pedaling constantly is the only way you can do short run ups, especially on a uphill section.

if you watch nearly all the best riders who tap high, they all start the exact pedal stroke distance away from a tap.

2 stroke usually for big stuff, so 2 pedals strokes an as you pedal into the last stroke your hitting the wall.

the main difference is some people do a lil manual into the tap (so small its hard to see) and others like the cousts, do a pedal stroke, in the second stroke they lift the front wheel off the floor with the bad foot forward, kind of doing a wheelie into the tap so they can put the power in with the good foot at the last minute.

i find it wierd lifting with bad foot first, good technique though because your less likely to flip over front wheel.

not sure if any of thats makes sence :blink: hope so lol

i'm still in full time education at 21, and i've never covered sports science or physiology. you're the only one who's offered their opinion in such a condescending and aggressive way. did you drop out of school at a young age and miss out on developing social skills?

Quite the opposite actually. I'm 23 and finishing off my medical degree this year. I also plan on going into the sports medicine field, hopefully eventually spend some time working with a cycling team. Sounds arrogant, but you asked me. :)"

I wasn't having a go at anyone in particular. People are a little too friendly and nice on this forum, I was providing constructive criticism I have plenty more if required. :blink:

I wasn't having a go at anyone in particular. People are a little too friendly and nice on this forum, I was providing constructive criticism I have plenty more if required.

fair enough. i didn't mean to have a go either...it just seemed to be a little unnecessarily on the condescending side of constructive criticism...

not sure i'd say people were too friendly and nice on here though... :blink:"

Edited by BenS

Quite the opposite actually. I'm 23 and finishing off my medical degree this year. I also plan on going into the sports medicine field, hopefully eventually spend some time working with a cycling team. Sounds arrogant, but you asked me.  :)"

I wasn't having a go at anyone in particular. People are a little too friendly and nice on this forum, I was providing constructive criticism I have plenty more if required.  :blink:

Sounds like you were being a bit condescending to me. Don't be another arrogant Doctor. As AndyT said, trials isn't big enough for genetic ability to really come into play. At least not in terms of muscle compostition. Maybe the mental aspect though - I am not amazing at trials and I don't care. If I can't backwheel that wall, it really doesn't bother me. Whereas the top riders wouldn't be where they are if they had the same attitude.

You appear to be living in a different world

Haha :P

As it had already been said, confidence, technique and power are probably the three most important things in trials.

I was talking to a friend about plyometric exercises as he used to play basketball and he showed me a few basic exercises. I am going to give them a shot to see what happens :blink:

Mike

Basically, have the right attitude and confidence and with a lot of practise, learning good techniques, you can build up from low/short things to higher/longer ups and gaps.

If only it were that easy.

The problem is gaining that attitude and confidence, you can't just say "Right I'm gunna have that attitude and build up my confidence"

You either have it or you dont' basically, although it is possible to change it over a long period of time/riding.