Deore Hubs And Mavic 721

MikeWarner

I want to build up some wheels on a budget - also want to keep weight down too. Would standard Deore hubs with Mavic 721CD rims (36 spoke) be a strong wheel? I can get these built up for £150 delivered. I'll be using Maxxis High Roller 2.35" tyres with them.

If not - what would you guys suggest for around the same price?

Many thanks.

That sounds rather a lot for that wheelset!

I'd recommend looking out for a 2nd hand Hope rear hub - even if its a bit dodgy, you can send it back to Hope and they'll sort it for free/a small fee.

The rims are a good choice for strength, however you could save a few quid on the CD coating - its not really necessary. Something wider might be nice for 'pure' trials, but for streetier riding (on your Hans Rey) they'll be fine with a relatively small tyre (like the Maxxis) and a decent tyre pressure.

£150 is extremely expensive if you did want to go with that setup by the way. Best bet would be to go for some mint condition second hand wheels. I have a mate who barely used his Hope Mono hubs on d521cd front, d512ceramic rear setup. I reckon he'd sell them for £150 pair. At least get yourself a nice rear wheel secondhand. Front wheels dont really matter for trials, so you might as well save as much money there as possible!

Forgot to add - that includes black spokes which add £16 to the cost - cost also includes postage.

I'll see if I can stretch the budget to a hope on the rear then. I've never broken a hub in 8 years of riding - but then I use hope hubs on my XC bike (unfortunately only 28/32 hole so I can't "borrow them").

Edited by MikeWarner

Forgot to add - that includes black spokes which add £16 to the cost - cost also includes postage.

Its still rather expensive, to be honest.

32h doesn't really make much difference nowadays. Gone are the days of weak rims and poor quality spokes - I've run 32h right from the start (6 years) and never had a problem :) A good build with decent spokes will serve you well, no matter what spoke count you choose.

You can pick up a good condition Hope rear wheel for around £70.

Lol. I think you should definately look out for some second hand bargains, there are often hope rear wheels selling in the "For sale" section, I sold my practically brand-new red hope XC on 36 (black :lol:) spoked onza ronnie rim for £70 not that long ago (it cost me towards £150 new :)), there are a lot that go for around that price! Its definately worth getting a hope over a shimano- I broke my XTR rear hub after a while, which I wasnt too pleased about.

For the front wheel, it doesnt really matter- get something cheap and fairly light, perhaps a Mavic D521 (a.k.a. Ex721) rim, or a F519, IMO perfect front rim, and any cheap light hub. Also only bother with 32 spoke, i found 36 spoke was no stronger, it just added weight and took the nice springy feel out of the wheels.

Hope that helps,

Scott