Welded Frames

the_soon_to_be

if you heat treat it and the weld is good, then there is no reason why it would be any weaker than when new....maybe stronger if it has a gusset?

ive heard that alu gets stronger after u weld it with time, it reacts with the air or something :blink:"

ta

My mate has just had his t-pro welded at the headtube professionally and the weld looked very good. After a day of riding it has cracked very bad just behind the weld. If you stand on the bike the crack totally opens up :-" . So now hes getting it welded again with a gusset. This will hopefully solve it.

Hi, I don't mean to put you off but you can't heat treat a new weld on an aluminium frame without damaging the older welds/tubing.

There is no way of telling how long it will last, all frames can only take a certain amount of abuse (lets face it, trials.. street especially does give bikes a bit of a battering).

But saying that the price is so good on that et24 that I was tempted to buy it myself!

ok i am looking at buying a ashton et24 that cracked but has been welded and brassed, i was wondering if it is strong enough, apparently it was proffesionally welded, question is, is it worth me buying?

or will it just go snap

thanks gaz

Sorry but i would not but a second hand frame that had been welded again not aluminum maybe steel but really not a good idea I have a load of broken frames but it just isn't worth fixing them ie Megamo, 3 Brisas Heavytools, Jamis etc

brazing uses molten metal to join two pieces of metal. However, the metal added during the process has a melting point lower than that of the workpiece, so only the added metal is melted, not the workpiece

bracing i think is a temp weld before doing the actual one may be wrong a bit rusty lol

good luck

I'm not into all this heat treating stuff - as 'yain' said you'd be silly to try and heat treat one area only.

I ripped a head tube clean off a frame and then got it welded back on and fitted Fattys and front hopped it to death and it is still solid. My Ashton Justice had a 2in crack round the driveside BB/seat-tube weld - fixed it properly and its still fine a year later.

Thing is, if one part of the frame has gone, then another area may well go afterwards, although it does depend how the frame is built. Martyn told me that the Justice was designed to focus stresses on the BB rather than the headtube, so I think if it was going to crack again it would be around the new weld.

You can't really tell. Although 400 for Mitch's bike doesn't sound too bad. Although you'd have to ask what he did to it to make it snap in the first place - might suggest it's had a hard ride.

(And don't anybody give me any 'stop trying to ruin someone's sale' - I'm just trying to give an honest opinion to help this guy out)

Tricky one , this as it's not an exact science . I've seen some skillfully rewelded frames perish rapidly , where other hasty amateur rewelds will remain intact . There's too many factors involved ie: materials , type and quality of repair , usage of frame etc .

At best , you're redirecting stress to the next weak point of the frame . That said , if offered a sweet rewelded frame at a good price , by a trustworthy individual , go for it .