I Am The Brake Bodge Master :d

Will Arnold

i have just cut, filed, angle grinded, the caliper of a formula before and a hope pro lever, and wacked it all together, bled it and its absolutely crap because of the stoopid cylinder size ratio, i cant wait to put the formula lever with the enduro 4 caliper with 205mm rotor, its gunna be the mutts yaw!

im not even sure why im posting, maybe someones interested in this kinda thing?

ta

Will

its a beast!

much better than my avid imo...

the lever reach is a bit much thou (Y) nearly at the bar....

i dont really know how to rectify this.....

any ideas?

thanks

Couldnt you try 'Over filling' the system with fluid? i got some hope braided hoses for my magura now and im gona try linkin it upto a mini lever... it looks like it will be quite simple.. that would give me sum emmense braking power, so long as it aint too spungy!

Couldnt you try 'Over filling' the system with fluid?  i got some hope braided hoses for my magura now and im gona try linkin it upto a mini lever... it looks like it will be quite simple.. that would give me sum emmense braking power, so long as it aint too spungy!

im not sure on over filling, im not even sure how i would do that!

as for using a magura brake with a hope lever, the fluid used will probarbly begger one of the two up...

the maguras use mineral oil and the hope brakes use dot 5.1 or 4

it may work if you get the mineral oil seal kit for the lever?

I actually made a calculator for disc breaks using MS Excel. You just put in the piston diameters and lever length and stuff and it would tell you how far the lever would have to be pulled before it contacted and the leverage ratio, but its at my dads house not here (Y) .

As for the hope-magura, I really hope you mean a magura disc, because theres no way that an HS33 caliper will work on a hope mini lever, maybe an old closed pro lever but not a mini.

really closed systems are the best to bodge because everything is adjustable, Id love to see an old closed pro lever with a magura HS33 rigged up to it, in theory it would be amazing but your wheel would have to be trued with a fuggin micrometer.

What you need to do to bodge a good break it find a break that uses large cylinders all round and put the lever off a break that uses small ones on it e.g. Hope XC4 or C2 caliper with a small diameter lever, but I cant think of any closed system ones right now. :D . In fact those and the Giant MPH are the only closed breaks I can think of at all and the MPH is practically a C2.

I actually made a calculator for disc breaks using MS Excel. You just put in the piston diameters and lever length and stuff and it would tell you how far the lever would have to be pulled before it contacted and the leverage ratio, but its at my dads house not here (Y) .

As for the hope-magura, I really hope you mean a magura disc, because theres no way that an HS33 caliper will work on a hope mini lever, maybe an old closed pro lever but not a mini.

really closed systems are the best to bodge because everything is adjustable, Id love to see an old closed pro lever with a magura HS33 rigged up to it, in theory it would be amazing but your wheel would have to be trued with a fuggin micrometer.

What you need to do to bodge a good break it find a break that uses large cylinders all round and put the lever off a break that uses small ones on it e.g. Hope XC4 or C2 caliper with a small diameter lever, but I cant think of any closed system ones right now. :D . In fact those and the Giant MPH are the only closed breaks I can think of at all and the MPH is practically a C2.

yeah i was talking about magura disk brakes, they use mineral oil i do believe :P

thats the idea with the old formula lever (small piston diameter 6-8 mm i think) and the enduro4 caliper (obviously huuge lol).

anyone got anymore ideas about the lever reach thing? its getting on my tits, not literally, i mean i dont know how it could get on my tits? do i have tits?

mah, lever adjustment, any ideas?

As far as lever adjustment goes theres nothing you can realy do about it, its the problem with open system breaks, they always reset to a set position no matter what, which is great with heat build up and padwere but not when you want to adjust the bloody things!

All you could do is to put on an Avid Jucy 7 or Hayes el-camino lever instead of the formular.

If youre feeling cheep you could just adjust the reach right out and then put a zip tie around to stop the lever going out all the way, but even then i think the open system would adjust to youre bodge and skrew it up again. Worth a try though.

Edited by Dont you Just Hate it When...

As far as lever adjustment goes theres nothing you can realy do about it, its the problem with open system breaks, they always reset to a set position no matter what, which is great with heat build up and padwere but not when you want to adjust the bloody things!

All you could do is to put on an Avid Jucy 7 or Hayes el-camino lever instead of the formular.

If youre feeling cheep you could just adjust the reach right out and then put a zip tie around to stop the lever going out all the way, but even then i think the open system would adjust to youre bodge and skrew it up again. Worth a try though.

yeah i just did what u last suggested except with a few laccy bands :D

works a treat, photos:

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....md=si&img=10383

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....md=si&img=10382

bad photos but i said i would upload them (Y)

ta Will

The air might have worked its way up to the lever (if there is any air that is) if there is, take the top cap off the lever and drop abit of oil in, shouldnt be spongy then :D

when bleeding i made sure that there was no air left inside so it cant be that, it only felt spongey before because it was hitting the bar before it properly engaged, lol.

and oil? (Y)

Im now very tempted to try the same thing with the E4 I have lying around at home, because then I could use the lever (with some closed sytem internals) with my rear maggie and have amazing breaks (Y) , but I'd rather get a No'5 caliper half to reduce my rotor to 165mm.