Broken Laptop

JT!

My laptop decided to start smoking on the same day when the TF skin was changed. Quite a while ago. :P"

Anyway, i have taken it into a local computer repair jobbie and it turns out theres been a hole burnt in the main board stopping the power from getting the the laptop. :P The rest of the laptop works fine as i was running it off the battery for a few mins. The guy at the repair shop couldn't get the connection back so i don't know what to do now really. :P I new board for a laptop will probably cost so much that i might aswell buy a new laptop. But i haven't got the money for a new one. :)

So does anyone have any ideas on how i could fix it? Or anything really i'm desperate. By the way it's past it warrenty. :P

Edited by JT!

If it runs fine off the battery im sure you could rig something up in place of the battery supplying juice that way.

I like the way you think. :( But it is nice to unplug my laptop and move it to a different room. If i were to do that i couldn't. But cheers anyway, may use that. :(

Maybe you can buy a 3rd party AC adaptor, thats like a mains plug with a battery shaped adaptor on the end.

So you plug in the battery shaped end and then plug it in the wall.

I don't have a clue if that sorta thing exists for laptops, but i remember having one on my MEGA RETRO sega gamegear :(

What about simply having an external battery charger?

Becuase i leave my laptop on all night downloading stuff and laptop batterys only last for an hour or so anyway.

It depends on the extent of the damage to the board...

I've repaired about 10 laptops with power problems - they've all been caused by people damaging the power socket by snagging the power lead.

The best way to repair it is to solder a new socket to the motherboard on a fly lead. It's not as neat as a new board, but it's a lot cheaper.

How skilled are you with a soldering iron/taking apart laptops?

Jon

How skilled are you with a soldering iron/taking apart laptops?

Big fat 0.

I have't a clue really. But that's the type of quick fix i'm looking for really. What type of person would i look for localy to do that? Computer repair, electronical reapir etc?

How old is it? if its less than a year you most likely have a warranty and it will get fixed for free - its definitely manufacturers fault if it burned itself out.

Yeah been there tried that. :closedeyes: Only a few weeks over when it happend aswell.

Big fat 0.

I have't a clue really. But that's the type of quick fix i'm looking for really. What type of person would i look for localy to do that? Computer repair, electronical reapir etc?

A Computer repair shop/person (would probably have to be an independant place)

The trouble with laptops is it takes around 2 hours to dismantle one to get the access you need to the motherboard to see what sort of problem it's got. It's also a risky process taking one apart as they're very delicate.

There's no harm in asking around, especially as I'm not sure how many places would take on such a repair.

Try contacting the manufacturer directly too - I'd imagine they'd charge around £250 to fit a new motherboard.

Hope that's some sort of help...

Jon

Try contacting the manufacturer directly too - I'd imagine they'd charge around £250 to fit a new motherboard.

I might aswell buy a new one of that price. I'll ask about a few local people i know of.

Cheers. :blink:

I think i'll go with dannys idea. Then i can take it to a local guy i did work ex with.

Edited by JT!