What Hub Is Best?

huge

(N) getting paid soon and was wondering which rear hub to spend my cash on. i have destroyed my old hope xc which served me well :angry:

i have considered a hope bulb, chris king classic and a possible change to a front freewheel.

i mostly ride street and would rather sacrafice engagements than strength, what would fellow street riders/occasional natural riders recommend?

my personal opinion is a chris king, people moan and bitch about them sliping all the time, this only happens if you dont look after it, i had a chris king for AGES, over a year easily, and i could count the amount of times it slipped on 1 hand! i had a bulb before that and it slipped a lot more, when people say their kings sliped all the time they usually have bikes that are caked in shite and dont get cleaned or looked after..

if not a king then a profile, i know a few people have used these, they seem pretty strong, reliable hubs to me, my first choice however would be a king all the time.

Edited by Jonno

you can get a heavy duty axle, and steel freehub body, id advise both of these if you can afford it, fatmikes the guy to talk to about getting a king, then speak to tart about servicing it for you ect :closedeyes: job done

dont bother gettin a bulb mine recently blew up (snapped axle, missing teeth and wanked springs)

chris king look cool and that but they do slip alot but you could send it to tarty i think and he does something that stops it from slipping

but id go for a xc again mine never slipped and their quite cheap

hope this helps

ric

If money is no issure, then theres no argument imo - get a crhis king: reliable lightweight, colourful (woo!!) and loved by everyone.

Fatmike eats chris kings for breakfast. If anyone can sort you out with one, tis him :closedeyes:

If money is NO issue then you get a chris king! If you want value for money compleatly (sp?) different thing! personally £250 or so and you only need fifty quid to buy my bike off of me! Thats got titanium hope hub drilled onza ronnie, magie's, so if you look at it in oerspective it is a lot...... but very very reliable

if its the mtb version yeah, theres a bmx 1 too...

you welded your sprockets onto your freehub body :angry: why

if you insist on buying a king(i didnt like mine or anyone elses-feel horrid)get the hd axle and the steel freehub body-its worth it :P

i didn't weld it, the cassette dug in something rotten (N)

i should have explained better :closedeyes:

thanks for the help+opinions everybody

Edited by huge

Hope, Chris king or profile is the only way to go i think!

Hopes are very reliable, ive never had a problem with any of my 5 hope hubs! (i have various bikes) and the XC hub, that used to be a trials favorite was never even desinged for trials as its name suggests, it just happend to be best as it was strongest. it has a stronger freehub than the bulb as it has less engagement points.

However, hope have recently develped a new hub the pro II, AND they've developed a trials specific version with 48 engagement points, replaceable free hub section and loads of new features. i dont think it will be long before it is released, and i reckon it would be a very very nice hub to ride.

Profiles also have a very good reputation, origonating from race bmx they are very light, but also very strong as the street bmx scene has proved. they have 4 pawls instead of 3 like the old hopes (the new hope has 4 i believe) and 48 engagements, again very solid and very reliable. i think it is very close between the new hope and the profile, they are so similar on the spec sheet.

The king is the daddy of hubs, but not nessesarily the best for trials as its freehub system, although very well engineered can ocasionly slip under extreme presure like that that trials puts on it, they also need a fair bit of mainenance to keep them performing at there best, requireing special oil ect. If your good at regular maintenance, then no problem, but if you like fit and forget- get a hope or profile, they go on and on and on with so little maintenance its scary!

The price is also a major factor, with the hope and the profile at the £100- £150 mark and the king at £250+.

Hope that rather long detailed ramble helps your decision! :)

Edited by nmt_oli