Hydro Or Cable

joker05

a DECENT v brake set up would be my preference, ive said it too many times so i wont run on.....

get a decent lever-xt/xtr or avid sd7/ultimate

get a decent cable-odyssey linear slick or nokon

get a decent set of callipers-deore or sd7/ultimate

get a decent set of pads-heatsink or plazmatic crvs

i run a ultimate lever, linear slick and ultimate callipers with heatsink cables on my curtis stock and it is fantastic, kicks the arse of any magura ive ever owned and used

on my monty mod i run a xtr lever blade in a xt body, linear slick and avid ultimate callipers with plaz crv pads-its quite possibly THE best brake ive ever touched, its stupidly good

i used to run a xt lever, deore callipers, random cable and spanish fly pads and that was a good brake, same sorta power as a magura-maybe not quite on par but was cheap and did the job!

remember when you get a new brake, clean you rim/regrind it-its vital to keep a clean surface as thats where many seem to lose their brake.......and a good brake pad is essential too

maguras are a safe bet-everyone has them cos they are cheap and most frames are designed to take them-whichever way you go you will probably be happy :huh:

:lol:

I would say maguras on the rear, alot more power and less maintainance. also with a solid booster like a echo booster (selectbikes.com) you will really notice the difference

less maintenence? hmmmm i never have to touch my v brake................cables are as smooth as ther day i got them-if you are retarded they need maintenance, if you do it properly they will be fine for ages......... :huh:

and v's rarely require boosters :lol: less weight :lol:

Edit: Use some hydraulic or cable disc brakes in front, I'm gonna buy one of this: Hope Mono trials, or Ball bearing 7 180mm..

And in rear use Maggies.. You gonna love it :lol: :huh:

But DON'T forget to use GOOD brakepads, on the Maggies: Zoo! pads!! :lol:

Edited by cvtrial

Maggies all the way, there in a different league.

definetly go for the hydraulic they kick ass v-brakes are s**t

them last two posts literally sum up what you should do.

a magura is THE trials brake front or rear (front if you dont have the funds for disc) rear is an "Always" essential for me.

Waynio..................

I've never quite understood peoples facinations with maguras - most of my mates have had them at some point and all but one have changed back to a well set up set of v's.

I personally have shimano DX brakes front and rear with Avid SD 2.0 levers, tioga rear brake booster, no grind on the rims (521CD rear, ceramic front) and cables that are like 3 years old and I swear on my life they work better than any maguras i've ever used and feel better, if a little spongy but hey I like em like that and i could set them up to be ultra sharp if I wanted.

It really depends on how you like the feel since i'm not convinced they work any better. Try and ride some bikes with them on and see what you think is my advise

In my way I have the best of both worlds! I have a deore V-front brake, with a sex cable and good pads, its good braking don't go to front wheel much but it very reliable and use it for general stopping to save my magura and its pads, i have a magura on the back which is alot of effort and needs alot of maintenence in my eyes, its been sink bled, re-bled, new pads, new pads, pads not set up square, broken tpa, but now is SEX and was well worth the minor problems faced but makes you take care. Makes you think 2ce sometimes!

depends what v-brake it is. i it is a shimano xtr or an avid ulitmatewill easyily piss all over a magura.

b then on the other hand ifu hae a magura with decent pads and a grind it will easyly beat a v-brake

but then it depednds what you like its up to you.

thanks ian

yeh defently go for the magura for 35 quid u cant go wrong  :P what pads has the magura got on it ?

leon if you think you can get them because i can you are wrong they where a one off sorry buddy just stick to v and save up for a frame and get rid of the full sus :o  you will be sorted (N)

well thaks for all your help guys very greatfull.im not sure what pads they are in the pic they r black and it doesnt actuaully say it juss says Magura HS11 Single Brake .jamie ive found them on a web site and if i tell u where ill hav to kill u he he (Y) once agen guys thanx

Edited by joker05

juss says Magura HS11 Single Brake

everyone on here will be raving about the hs33 - the hs11 is the cheaper version.

The hs33 is lovely and probably works out cheaper than the spanky V setups mentioned (£60 ish for the whole lot inc. lever).

Dont get the idea it won't ever slip though - you'll still need decent pads and it'll still put you on your arse occasionally.

• 2 years later...
In your opinions do u think its worth changin from cable to hydrolic on the back.ive seen a cheap magura for 35 but i dont no if its worth getting it.What do you think???

(N) / (Y)

thanks

i think that a cable on the front is good but on the back i would only run a maggy or a hydro disk