I Have Cracked My Frame

weld it - me and most of my mates have ridden with welded-up frames for a good long time and they don't tend to break again, plus if you know someone who can do it for free, err its free and that's always a bonus.

My mad trials frame has just been re-welded after snapping both seat stays away from the seat-tube - I guess DX brake power is just too damn good!! I intend to rebuild it once I get all the paint off - mmmm polished :huh:

It depends totally on how big the crack is and what frame it is. Say it was a python or something good like that get it welded but if it is a t-bird or something get a new frame :P

Id say get a new frame though because i wouldn't feel safe on a frame that has a crack in it and if it has been done crap then thats not good (Y)

Hope this helps mate

Rickyb (N) :o

I'd say get a new 1 because i would just want to up-grade the frame and what better reason can you need! however if your really tight or you and your frame are un-separable, weld it its supposed to make it stronger anyhow

mike welding is unlikely to make it stronger if anything it will create more of a weak point around it due to it being heated etc

welding an aluminium frame will make weaker than in the first place, thats why alu frames are heat treated after welding.

so go ahead and weld it but it snap soon. if you can get it heat treated great but i would think it was better to put the cost of all of that into a new frame!!

id say get a new one because my friend had a t-pro and got it welded and then cracked again so he got it rewelded and then we were riding yesterday and he was riding along did a bunny hop and it snapped so he aint guna be riding for a while

So get a new frame :)

trust me rewelding any grade apart from 7005 series alu, requires the frame being heat treated.

the heat put into the metal from welding, distorts the grain structure of the metal causing a weak spot thats likely just to break again. heat treating re-alines the grain eliminating any weak spot.

sorry to get tech!! (Y)" :)