Chris King Hubbbbbbssss

nb88

Buying a standard chris king classic hub with an aluminium drive shell, all standard stuff.....is this ok for trials? ive heard upgrading to heavy duty axles is good but is it needed for trials? and how much does it cost? Are aluminium drive shells ok compared to steel, and do they cost much to replace?

Thanks.

Noz.

Chris King (IMO) are the biggest waste of money there is. You pay a lot of money for a hub, which in its standard state probably isnt good enough for trials, so they make you pay even more money to "upgrade" it to what you need.

Eg, Fun Bolts, King Cog, Steel driveshell (extras probably around the £100 mark to add on).

I have recently got myself a Profile (the one that fits on mods) on my stock and you get, for a much smaller fee, big bolts on the axle, wide based sprocket, a very solid reliable hub, with more hten enough engagements.

I cant see why everyone wants to pay sooooo much for a King, then be ripped off by having to buy other bits to make it withstand trials use, when hubs from other brands already come with the same kind of stuff.

Feel free to argue back (Y)

im sure the alu driveshell and std. axle will work. it does.

i bought my king hub with hd axle and steel driveshell. i think it was worth it, and hope to have a hub that lasts a fair while.

my hub has skipped a fair few times, but that is apparently mostly down to my ignorance, as i am a lazy f**k and can't be arsed with bedding the hub in riding xc/road. i built it up, and rode trials on it straight out of the box.

Providing you use either a king kog, or a decent quality cassette, which is mounted on a carrier, an alu cassette body is fine. Even the bmx and singlespeed hubs have an alu one, without an option for steel!

The standard axles do the job, and if you don't put masses of stress on them, they'll last a while, but when they do snap, send it back to king, and pay some extra money to upgrade it. It's not loads. (Y)

Mike.

Chris King (IMO) are the biggest waste of money there is. You pay a lot of money for a hub, which in its standard state probably isnt good enough for trials, so they make you pay even more money to "upgrade" it to what you need.

Eg, Fun Bolts, King Cog, Steel driveshell (extras probably around the £100 mark  to add on).

I have recently got myself a Profile (the one that fits on mods) on my stock and you get, for a much smaller fee, big bolts on the axle, wide based sprocket, a very solid reliable hub, with more hten enough engagements.

I cant see why everyone wants to pay sooooo much for a King, then be ripped off by having to buy other bits to make it withstand trials use, when hubs from other brands already come with the same kind of stuff.

I couldn't of put i better myself!

There are some real good riders who use hopes etc and they do just fine.

Kings are very nice with lovely engagment but I cant see myself spending that much on a poxy hub! It's not like its gonna make you instantly better or give you super gapping powers :P

Eg, Fun Bolts, King Cog, Steel driveshell (extras probably around the £100 mark to add on).

Feel free to argue back

i stand by that man!!!!! :P :huh: no one can argue with you todge as not many people have used profile hubs. but i totally agree with what you are saying, most people will say why wots wrong with chris kings and with the experiences i had with mine i would NEVER EVER use one again. i was nearly RIP'in.

Waynio.....................

some thing simple and tried and tested i will always stick by, pawls and springs all the way (Y)

I cant say i've ever really seen many people with a 26" profile. I know one guy in plymouth had one but his blew up after not very long, and there a lot more expencive as well!

I think people just rather spend there money on kings! :P

4 is reliable enuff and was for me, i went mental when i had my profile.........the engagement was good and the hub sounded great, both of mine are still going strong today with other people, all they have done is put fresh pawls and springs in them.

they are really really good, keep your eyes peeled on the new hope hub after many months of saying "they should use the leaf spring design like profile" hope have actually used the same ratchet system. :P :huh: woowooo.

Waynio..................

they are really really good, keep your eyes peeled on the new hope hub after many months of saying "they should use the leaf spring design like profile" hope have actually used the same ratchet system.  :P  :huh:  woowooo.

I take it this is not the new trials one thats meant to have come out

I take it this is not the new trials one thats meant to have come out

Yes, But its still a prototype though, Has been due out since xmas roughly. I'm not bothered though, its going to be mint when it does come out :huh: Also what happened to the Middleburn hub? I remember that had problems but should be due out hopefully, hope it hasn't been scraped :P

Yes, But its still a prototype though, Has been due out since xmas roughly. I'm not bothered though, its going to be mint when it does come out :huh:  Also what happened to the Middleburn hub? I remember that had problems but should be due out hopefully, hope it hasn't been scraped  :P

I thought they had brought some out, or is this a new one?

the trials hub is not avaialble for another few months they are still testing the final one as far as i am aware.

Waynio....................

48 ep. :P :huh: id rather run mono hubs with 24 ep you can put 2 springs in each carrier so that the power of the double springs pushes the pawl into the ratchet ring.