Chris King Hubbbbbbssss

nb88

overall i think that king hubs are worth the money, i use a king classic and i've found it amazing since i bought it, engagement is instant and very solid, bearings are easy to adjust and the hub is also very easy to service yourself

the only "upgrade" that i bought for the hub was the stainless steel freehub body as i run a hg-70 cassette and it was to prevent the cogs from digging in, but it hasn't really been affective in preventing this, after only 4 months of use riding the bike most days, the cassette took me about 20mins to get off and i had to finally chissel my trials gear off with a screwdriver. . . . so thats the only real gripe i have about the hub

for most people i don't really see much point in using a hd axle, it is a bit overpriced and to be honest the standard axle feels very stiff when your on the back wheel and has been very reliable so far

King hubs, set up well are THE best hub for trials. I can't see how anyone can argue with that. And the very best stuff demands a high price tags, that's the same for anything. Whether it's worth two profiles is debatable, but people will pay for the best stuff, you know what trials riders are like!

EDIT: The standard axle is fine, until it breaks (if it does). Mine broke and I don't exactly go massive. So I bought a HD one (well, got one on warrantee - £90 for an axle is stupid).

I havn't read all that stuff, most of it's likely to be arguing...

Anyways, I'm running a standard King ISO (aluminium hubshell, standard axle) with a King Kog and it's fine *touch wood*.

The King Kogs are a large outlay for a cog (around £35 or something full retail? I dunno :P) but my steel one is pretty much as new, and has been used constantly for just under a year.

I won't go into the 'Is it better than X hub?' argument, as thats not what you asked...

pawls and springs all the way  :huh:

Even though, it's actually a really crap design? Trying to force the hub apart with more pressure, whereas a king will just hold itself in more...

Why not just get a hope, when it breaks send it back and it shall be fixed for free

Exactly the same as Chris King, with a MUCH longer warranty, and don't charge postage, even back from america...

id rather run mono hubs with 24 ep

*21ep...

you can put 2 springs in each carrier so that the power of the double springs pushes the pawl into the ratchet ring.

And pretty much rapes your ratchet, nice

King hubs, set up well are THE best hub for trials.

That is a fact everybody. Deal with it.

Mike. :P

Edited by Fatmike

i got a standard ck but then squashed the driveshell when trying to get a cog off, as it had eaten into the old alu driveshell, and so upgraded to steel since i needed a new one anyway, and they are £39 from bromley bike, or send it to tart and its £50 for the steell driveshell plus fitting.

i dont have a heavy duty axel and dont really see the point at the moment.

it will be fine standard, just maybe upgrade the driveshell :P

I used to run a hope, then i bought a king, decided it was a waste of money, it had a steel drive shell, and a standard axle, yes, it has got very good engagement, but really, once you are used to pre-loading your pedals, you really don't need it.

Having the king did nothing to effect my riding, and i'm now back on my hope which actually feels more solid than the king ever did. :P

the trials hub is not avaialble for another few months they are still testing the final one as far as i am aware.

Waynio....................

48 ep.  :P  :)  id rather run mono hubs with 24 ep you can put 2 springs in each carrier so that the power of the double springs pushes the pawl into the ratchet ring.

Eh? Why would you rather have less ep's and a weaker hub? The trial hub is going to have 5 bearings, 48 eps etc. As you said yourself pretty much an alu profile. :)

Raise your hand if you've seen a king slip... yep not exactly rare... If you dont want to get into a hub argument go out and buy an ENO and join the front freewheel crew! Go on, be different!

I personally would prefer a profile, untill the new hope is out, then I'll get me one of them! Simple really, they don't f**k around as much as kings "I have to send them away so I dont die" If i'm spending that much on a hub, I want someone to fly it over, fit it for me, service it for me 3 times a week and do the washing up!

James :)

Eh? Why would you rather have less ep's and a weaker hub? The trial hub is going to have 5 bearings, 48 eps etc. As you said yourself pretty much an alu profile.  :)

the trials hub is NOT going to have 5 bearings! i don't know where you heard that, ive tested 5 of these hubs and they have all had 4, :)

the one i am currently testing is the strongest yet, 48 eps with 4 pawls 2 of which are offset, thus giving you the 48eps, it now carries the leaf spring design like the profile, no skipping in mine as yet, and the other guys testing are all having positive outcomes from this model,

the drive shell i have been using on mine is made of alu, i have not had one problem with this, alothough the pro 2 t trials model i believe is going to have a steel ratchet body........

any questions about this hub just ask :)

regards ash :P

I've said this plenty of times. If you have to ask about a king hub you don't deserve one.

They are the strongest, lightest and most reliable hub out there. I can't see anyone coming up with a better design (other than Chris King) These hubs have been out for years and they are still the best.

A king hub will not suit every rider out there. They are hubs for people who have good mechanical skills and look after their bikes. It's not a fit and forget hub.

People who say that hope hubs feel more solid than king hubs are talking out of their arse.

A king hub will not suit every rider out there. They are hubs for people who have good mechanical skills and look after their bikes. It's not a fit and forget hub.

That's what I thought, but I've not touched my King for at least a year. No skips, it's been fine. I guess I should look at it more often but if it's not broken...

People who say that hope hubs feel more solid than king hubs are talking out of their arse.

You have obviously had different experiences with hubs to me, but I can honestly say that my hope feels more solid than my king did. This doesn't make king's worse than hope's. But my personal preference was to go back to my hope. On my bike, in the way i ride it, the hope xc feels much better than my king did, apart from the engagement, obviously you can't compare 21ep to 72, but once you are used to pre-loading your hub its not noticable. I have never had since going back to my hope it has never skipped, which is something i can't say about the king, although even when that did skip it was 1 point, and you couldn't feel it.

I have ridden both hub's, and i have got a preference which is different to yours, accept it, not all people like the same as you, This does not mean however, that i am talking out my arse. :blink: