Gapping

MattB

hi

i have been trying to do gaps but i can't seem to do them i can get up on the back wheel and pedal kick. the problem is that when i go to gap i am no where near the edge of the object i am gapping off because i cannot get to the edge of it.

Can someone please help me

Just practise backhopping doing small little hops forwards. You don't even have to use a pedal stroke to move forwards to the edge of the object, you can just do little hops but pushing the bike forwards with your body as you do it. That'll get you to the edge, and mean you can gap further :(

Just keep practising, really.

try standing differently on the bike too. i know that when i first started trials i had difficulty getting any distance because my weight was too far back. if you shift your weight forward in anticipation of the gap then you will gain more momentum and get further.

practice makes perfect.

it took me till like a week or two ago for me to gewt that right i just look at the edge and do little hops dont just go right at it like someone on this forum :P"

lol just do hops and get comfortable with your back wheel

toby :(

Click me (Left click)!

That's just a little vid I knocked up this morning to show someone about how to preload for gaps. Shitty example, but you can see how you can work to the edge of whatever you're going off of to get to the optimum place.

Sorry for:

Shit quality - just a digital camera.

Shit style/riding - haven't ridden the Pro in aaaaaaages, so it was all a bit weird after my BMX :P

Anyway, hope it's of some help.

http://dl6.rapidshare.de/files/4841796/85181165/Gaps.wmv

/\ That might work too :) Just tried it and it does, just left click :(

Stealing some of TRAs' stuff from mikes' site:

Before you do an attempt at the gap you should from beforehand have visualized it and thought it over many times.

1.Roll in front to the edge, get on the rear wheel, place yourself about 1-2 inch from the edge where you take off from.

2.Psyche you up, then do a little "jump" and then go really low and far back on the bike, your ass should just about hit the rear tire and arms stretched out.

3.Then at the same time as you push yourself really (with all the power you have) hard forward you KICK hard down with your feet (resulting in that you jump).

4.Then you do a slightly hard push in the pedals.

5.Then get very far in front (head in front of the bars!) as you push the rear end as far forward as you possible can (the bike should be as vertical as possible). But on very far gaps its not likely you will be able to do this (because of the height), what you should do then is to rise the bike a bit up so your helmet is just about to rub against your stem.

6.And when you hit with the rear wheel you push your bike really hard down in front of you making enough energy that you can pull yourself forward again without falling back.

TRA tips:

When you do a gap its often common to get the bike in an angle (that will result in getting a bit more air and shortening the gap). I always do this on big gaps and I also place myself in an angle before I take off. Then its easier to get the landing in an angle as well and this will result in bigger gaps.

hi

thanks for the help :ermm: because i am finally getting the hang of this altough in the video onzaboymark seems to do a little like pedal kick to get on his back wheel whereas i just do a little endo. So how do i get on the backwheel.

mnay thanks

basically when youve got the balance right lift on your handle bars then give a hard enough push to get you up then pull the back brake then go on from there its easier on a lighter bike

toby i hope i helped and aswell make sure you lean back quite far aswell then as you come up the bars should be near you

toby :ermm:

Well i know i pre-load because my knee can sometimes change the gear down! i managed to gap 6" from crates to crates. you want to hang your wheel on the corner as you tyre folds over the edge an gives better prejection forwards. Static height? Just pull up instead of out an kick harder?

Well i know i pre-load because my knee can sometimes change the gear down! i managed to gap 6" from crates to crates. you want to hang your wheel on the corner as you tyre folds over the edge an gives better prejection forwards. Static height? Just pull up instead of out an kick harder?

hey where do you live because live in benfleet as well

Matt you dont happen to have a standard saracen mad, go to the king john school and have brown curly hair do you? i belive you picked my back wheel up with me you divvy!

SORRY IM WRONG! looking at your profile fancy goin out now? add me to msn pissin_on_the_fence@hotmail.com if your up for it

Michael Simpson???

Matt bird??? u mean kent hill matt bird??? as in black hair glasses matt bird???

Edited by pissin_on_the_fence

Try putting a pound coin or whatever on the floor and try and hop on it as many times as you can, or aim to hop to marks on the floor so your accuracy improves.

I find that video has a good style though, so try and aim to do that when confident on the back wheel.

Jeza

Edited by Jeza

Try putting a pound coin or whatever on the floor and try and hop on it as many times as you can, or aim to hop to marks on the floor so your accuracy improves.

I find that video has a good style though, so try and aim to do that when confident on the back wheel.

Jeza

I really do like this idea,

yeah >_< :blink: :ermm: :P :o :o :o :o i finally manadge to hop to front of an object on the back wheel it took me about 20 hops but i did it. now i need to pecal kick but as soon as i let go off the brakes my front wheel falls. Can someone please help me