Puzzle Time

mink

The triangles are different if you look at the patterns on the graph paper. :)

Look at the column 14th from the left, then look down at the diagonal lines of both triangles in that column and compare. They fill a different area of the square.

The squares are squashed and stretched to make the triangles look the same.

And the diagonal side of the triangles are bent in on the top one, and bent out on the bottom one.

Edited by JT!

The triangles are different if you look at the patterns on the graph paper.  :)

Look at the column 14th from the left, then look down at the diagonal lines of both triangles in that column and compare.

Also the squares are squashed and stretched to make the triangles look the same.

you mean the graph paper is not the same, the triangles are just altered due to the spacing of the lines....

I'm just splitting hairs here

you mean the graph paper is not the same, the triangles are just altered due to the spacing of the lines....

I'm just splitting hairs here

Yeah 6 of one and half a donzen of the other. :)

• 2 years later...
Below are two shapes made up of four different blocks but rearraged slightly, they should have the same overall area but one appears to take up less space (there's an empty square).

gallery_358_420_2411.jpg

Can anyone explain?

he is right

its so strange

i drew it out on squared paper and it works there is a square missing

I drew them out on paper and got areas for both and as expected they aren't the same. So I have come to the conclusion the drawings you have given us are wrong, probably as a result of the messed up sized grid it was drawn on.

Trying to trick us the sneaky bugger :D

Edited by ZeroMatt

If you look at the longest side on each triangle they aren't straight, the top one is further 'inwards' that the bottom, thats where the extra space is, over the longest edge of the triangle.

They aint perfect triangles and each triangle overall is a different size but the shapes within them take up the same area.

No puzzle to it really

Frooty

he is right

its so strange

i drew it out on squared paper and it works there is a square missing

Why the f**k, of all threads you could of possibly bumped from 3 years ago did you bump one about a f**king triangle on a piece of paper?