Sata Drive Set Up For Optimum Performance

on that? u must be joking

Now then folks, having recently killed my venerable old maxtor 30 gig IDE drive, I have replaced it with a new 36 gig Western Digital SATA drive which I intend to install windows on. I will be using a 160 gig Maxtor SATA drive as a documents drive. Now here comes the question: I have an MSI K8T Neo FIS2R motherboard which has the capacity to run 4 SATA devices, or so I understand, using the VIA VT8237 southbridge which accepts two, and the Promise 20378 chipset. Can you suggest the best way to plug my drives in to get the best performance out of the computer.

Cheers for your help,

Andy

Don't think it'll make very much difference (SATA isn't that much faster anyway...), but I would stick the Raptor on the southbridge, and put the storage drive on the other channel. Although I have no idea if that would actually be any quicker. I very much doubt you'd notice the difference either way to be honest.

Im with tomm i dont think it would make much difference. I take it the 36gb WD drive is one of the 10k raptors? Then if so your already doing the right thing by using that for windows and applications and keeping the bigger drive for documents. I say use the southbridge sata because thats native.

Am I not right in believing the vt8327 is not the best solution, Surely leaving the SATA duties to a dedicated controller rather than the 8237, which had SATA as an after thought.

I have the vt8237 controlling a Raid0 setup of 2 Maxtor 80gb drives. The Performance is DIRE! Worse than my 5400rpm IDE setup! After a little research it would appear that its a 'slight' conflict between the controller and the maxtor drives, doh! Ive been regularly checking for bios updates... but with no luck!

Oh well, enjoy the computers new 'wheezing' noise thanks to the raptor. Umm.. 10k drive :)

Yup it is one of the raptors - thought i'd give it a try.

One last noobie question: The only other drive i'll be connecting is an IDE DVD writer. Will it just confuse the computer putting that on the slot on the southbridge as well do you reckon?

Anyway, cheers for the input both of you :)

Andy

Edit: thanks all three of you - need to spend less time writing posts in future

Edit: It may be loud, but not surely anywhere near as loud as the Gainward GFX card cooler I had in it at the start of the summer; thank you arctic cooling (and Andy Hill for giving it a try first)

Edited by on that? u must be joking

Edit: It may be loud, but not surely anywhere near as loud as the Gainward GFX card cooler I had in it at the start of the summer; thank you arctic cooling (and Andy Hill for giving it a try first)

My graphics cooler is such a noisy knob. I wanted to get an arctic, but it won't fit in my Shuttle :rolleyes:

I'm trying to remember if it was you who pointed me in the direction of Expertool in the first place Tomm, but it was quite a good short term fix for the noise of the graphics cooler.

Wasn't me. Not sure if that'll work with a 9800, especially one that overheats and artefacts at stock speeds in the heat of my room, I don't fancy slowing the fan down!

And I'm not gonna cut a hole in the side of my lovely shuttle Danny :rolleyes:

Have you considered getting one of those shuttle replacement tops with the meshed sides tomm?

Can't be arsed spending any more money on it to be honest. It works ok, but if the weather's hot I have to whip the case off to prevent the thing overheating. Anywayt, I have recently decided I want a Laptop, but they're so f**king expensive.