Photo Tips

F-Stop Junkie

As the pics keep flowing thick and fast, I thought I would stick up a post to try and help the quality of photos posted improve. I'll keep this updated as future points come up.

Can this be made sticky?

Camera Setup

If you have a dedicated sports mode on your camera, use it. A good action photo requires a high shutter speed to freeze the action, sports modes provide this. Forcing the flash to fire can help too as the burst of light is shorter than the shutter speed, helping to stop the rider mid-move.

Remember! When it comes to light, the human eye is a lot more sensitive than a camera, so what appears bright to you or I might mean slow shutter speeds and blurred photos.

More expensive cameras offer more control over settings manually. By all means try them, but it's easier to make things worse than better!

Angles - use of flash

When out taking photos, think of how the image looks in the frame. This is so easy now with digital. If there's a lot of spare space around the rider, get in closer - but remember this can be taken out later too!

Try experimenting with different angles. Even just kneeling instead of standing can help give an image impact. Try getting up close, laying on the ground looking up, getting up high. Anything different will always make your pictures stand out. Plus the huge advantage of digital photography is that if it doesn't work, then you delete the image and move on. Nothing lost.

I always try to get eye contact with the rider, as it adds an extra element to the picture. Unless you're trying to capture a specific obstacle, try and avoid pictures of riders from the back. It's very hard to take one that works, and I've spent years trying...

Speaking of big ups, they are the single hardest move to photography, unless it's to a rail. No angle can really do them justice.

Cropping and resizing

When you want to post pictures, or even just tidy them up for your own use, cropping is the most important step. A simple crop, keeping only what you want to show makes the picture more immediate, with a greater impact.

If you're not sure what to crop, then simply cover part of the image with your hand, and see if the picture looses anything. As a rule, large areas of sky or ground can usually be cropped...

Don't forget too, if you're posting on the web, make them small enough for screen use. try and keep to a maximum of 800 pixels wide.

You don't need high end graphics packages to do this, a great on is Irfanview. Simple to use, and free.

Use of galleries

While some people post 30 images in a single post, try and limit yourself to 5 or so of the best, then put the rest in a gallery on TF or Trials-Nation. This means that people on slower connections arn't affected by a long load time, and also that your good photos won't get lost amongst the not so good ones.

And finally...

If you want critiques of your photos, ask for them. If you're just showing off your bike, or a certain move, then fine. If you want advice on how to improve your photos, then just add that at the bottom of your post, and then other users can add their constructive criticism of the photos - as well as the subjects.

Good post chris ...

the thing is, some people just dont know how to take pics hahahah... :unsure:

Btw, Chris you forgot the basics...

"rite, now to take a photo you will need to do the following...

hold the camera with the lens pointing outwards this helps to get a pic of the move or whatever instead of holding it backwards and gettins a pic of your t-shirt.....there shud be a big round silver button, that takes the photo" (N) heheh

Edited by JoeMaher

What do you do if your didgi cam takes the pic a good 1 second after you pressed the button - apart from throwing it in the bin.

Yup, the half press trick works. Ultimatley it comes down to anticipation. The more photos you take, the more used you get to it. Newer cameras are getting better and better in this respect though.

Nice post, i used a 200 quid odd, canon compact digital camera to take these shots so its not all about the equipment :sleeping: .

benchgapcrazypics0204vl.jpg

This one was in low light so obviously the camera was flash assisted, proving how well the moving subject can be 'frozen'.

benchgapcrazypics0170qh.jpg

This one was taken fairly close in to the subject and obstacle at a low angle to add 'height' to the trick.

There not the best pics but an example of some of the reccomended techniques F-stop junkie has suggested

lets see some of yours if they are so great.

He didn't say he was a brilliant photographer though...

As quoting a previously used analogy; I might not be a director or producer of movies, but I sure know a crappy film when I see one.

Anyway, (no win) Nohpee: some reasoning would be nice, and you must have bloody high standards of photographs to be able to say that; considering nearly everyone that posts photographs on the forum is an amateur, surely it's a bit much to expect an overwhelmingly large majority of the photos posted to be of such a high calibre?

Maybe post some examples of some photos you do and don't like, with reasoning? I'm sure it would contribute nicely to the thread, as Chris posted this aiming at inspring confidence, and help people take better photos, rather than to bring people down with such pesamistic comments as your's...

If anyone's interested in any of the techniques I used to acheive any of the B+W shots I recently posted, please ask, and I'll do my best to explain here. :P

Mike.

Edited by Fatmike

Hey Jay,

liking those pics you have there but on the first one I would of cropped the right hand side of the frame and used a flash to make the rider stand out more against the dark sky.

The Fuji S5500 is a top camera and have been using it for a while now!

Have you mastered all of the features on the cam like continous shooting, first 3 frams, last 3 frames and continous shooting where it takes up to 40 photos at around 2.2 FPS. Also stuff like manual focus etc, shooting in RAW format!? Sorry not insulting your intelagence or anything, just making sure your getting full use of your cam...any questions add me to msn! :P

Rather than post images i'll just let you browse this....CLICK!

Bit of everything on there, light trails, abstracts, portraits, trials, landscapes etc! Please browse and tell me what you think, negative or positive!

Good topic Chris

Rob :- B)

Edited by Rob P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...