Braking Question

maxxtro

Im sorry on bad spelling if there is any....

I have some questions, i dont know how it is called but i want to put that on my brake pads or rims im not sure where exactly, it is in spray and it used for hair (for better hair shining) ussualy women use it. we call it "lak" (or laq). i heard that it can improve braking and the brakes then make funny sounds, i have magura hs33 raceline D with green magura pads, i heard that these pads are for wet conditions. but i woud like to boost more brake power, and to make it do some sounds :) help please! any comments and advices are welcome!

The stuff what you put on your rims is called tar.It can be found on the roads where they`ve layed it down just peel it up.If you can`t find any have a look on ebay type in a search for rim tar some will come up costing around £3.00.The best pads for running tar with ar zoo pads.But if you have a slight grind on your rims with abit of tar plaz pads will suit you down to the ground.Hope it helps.

Thanks

Deonn.

Edited by Deonn h

Some better brake pads would improve your braking performance and they squeak! ?The Plazmatic CRMs are supposed to be good but they're £18. A brake booster would also improve your brake performance as well but yet againg they are a costly solution with the Echo Team brake booster (Best one out there-ish) being £32.

Its hard to picture the PERFECT brake, my plazmatic CRM pads sometimes dont even work, and i run a grind. Its all about the set up and its vital you have a brake booster, this stops flex which gives a stiffer feeel and more power to the brake.

Koxx pads = hard compound perfect on a grind with little wear rate

Plazmatic CRM = softer compound then the Koxx pad but fantastic with a grind or Tar. VERY LITTLE wear rate.

Zoo pad = extremely soft compound useless if your going to always use them on a grind as they wear down in about 2 weeks easily, run these using Tar only IMO

also a good bleed of the brake and a decent set up will make a brake have better grab.

Some better brake pads would improve your braking performance and they squeak! ?The Plazmatic CRMs are supposed to be good but they're £18. A brake booster would also improve your brake performance as well but yet againg they are a costly solution with the Echo Team brake booster (Best one out there-ish) being £32.

i must be satisfied with the pads i already have :) , because its hard or impossible to find good magura pads in Croatia where I'm from.

my magura has a very good booster, it is an original on raceline D series neon yellow color, pretty old but good brake...

imo the best way to improve your brakes (in the wet) is to get a grind, and maby some new pads (Plazmatic CRM) or in the dry weather, if you don't want to grind your rim, tar will do the trick!

but what ever you do DO NOT PAY FOR TAR!

you can get it for free from builders, hardware stores or the road but it can some times have little stones in it if you get it from the road.

i would ask some roofers (people who re-do roofs.eg put tar on them and the gravel stuff) they should give you some for free! :)

and sorry i don't mean to be patronising (sp?) I'm just making sure u know what i am going on about.

hope i help

ollie

Edited by ollie

Tar + water = pain.

Yea tar is a water repelant so the water just hangs on top of the tar so the brake pad doesnt touch the tar or the rim 1st it compress's a layer of water which just makes your brake do jack shit it is a pain especially when you fall off something or go over the bars!

A grind a good pads is you best bet in the water, me and Rick have a £2 rule which is put a £2 between rim and pad when setting up this also ensures that your pads are set up square and wil allow for a small buckle

Getting brake pads out to you isn't a porblem, they are only small and i'm sure companys wouldn't mind sending them out of the UK. Get in touch with the guy on www.heaksinkbikes.com, he will be able to send you some out i can imagine.

Magura pads arn't really designed for trials, all magura pads are as bad as each other. Get some heaskinks, zoo, koxx bloxx. And this will significanlty increase your braking power.

Tar / grinds / boosters will make a difference, but chaging your pads is a must, as it'll have the greatest effect.

wow..thanks on advices :) , at first i didn't understand what tar is, but i learned...on croatian we call it "smola" or "katran" (Y) finding tar wasn't problem, i put some on rims and it brakes like hell, but not for a long time, later it brakes slightly weaker but still very good, better than without tar. i've take a photo of my brake: http://img414.imageshack.us/img414/2554/dsc017494cv.jpg

http://img414.imageshack.us/img414/8939/dsc017508aw.jpg

ill try to ask on heatsink.com about delivery, i hope that i won't be too expensive...