The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

I fancy trying that, but the problem is, I use weights that are so small that going up one weight notch is an increase of 50%. (5kg dumbbells to 7.5kg).

I think I'm going to try it, but just not change the weight.

what do you use such light weights for??

the min i use is 15k

what do you use such light weights for??

the min i use is 15k

Because I can't lift the heavier ones, obviously. :lol:

My max 1 rep thingies are:

Fly: 15kg

Bench: 42.5kg

Curl: 32.5kg

All with pretty good form, curl was without swinging my shoulders back.

I would have though that answer would be obvious? He isn't as strong as the hulk (you) is he.

Noone told you its better to lift a comfortable weight with good form rather than a heavy weight with sloppy form?

My thoughts exactly, but if I go any heavier, I run out of energy to finish the set.

I end up feeling knackered, so I'll be rate.

I would have though that answer would be obvious? He isn't as strong as the hulk (you) is he.

Noone told you its better to lift a comfortable weight with good form rather than a heavy weight with sloppy form?

no not that obvious, i wouldnt of asked otherwise would i??? ive never met him, hell i don't even know his real name

it just seems excedingly light for someone that wants to bulk up

and my forms fine, one minute your calling me the hulk, then telling me im not lifting correctly. i wouldnt lift anything uncomfortably, theres no need and no point, i dont no my 1 rep maxes because it doesnt mean anything to me, i just do what works

Because I can't lift the heavier ones, obviously. :lol:

My max 1 rep thingies are:

Fly: 15kg

Bench: 42.5kg

Curl: 32.5kg

All with pretty good form, curl was without swinging my shoulders back.

My thoughts exactly, but if I go any heavier, I run out of energy to finish the set.

I end up feeling knackered, so I'll be rate.

Thats really the whole idea though. you should run out of energy before the end of the set, It's having the determination to work through the lapse of energy and finish the set that makes you strong.

I'm not sure what your aiming for, but for me it's all about physical strength I don't really care too much about mass as that will come. I don't aim to get big. I aim to get strong.

chuck on a bit more weight and give it your everything, don't worry if it f**ks up your routine or anything like that just give it your maximum every time for a few weeks and you'll soon see the difference.

You listed all your one rep max's..

There should be squat and deadlift there somewhere as body will only grow in proportion which means you need to work the whole body not just upper body!!! unless yur a roid freak in which case you can get away with anything..

A mate of mine has just started working out with me and he is very slim build and wants to put n size and strength and he was curling 10k ok for 3 sets ( i mean he was knackered after but no pain no gain) you should maybe get some smaller increment weight discs if the jump is too big.

At the nd of the day though nothing will work the same for two people so its all down to experimentation!!!

Thats really the whole idea though. you should run out of energy before the end of the set, It's having the determination to work through the lapse of energy and finish the set that makes you strong.

I'm not sure what your aiming for, but for me it's all about physical strength I don't really care too much about mass as that will come. I don't aim to get big. I aim to get strong.

chuck on a bit more weight and give it your everything, don't worry if it f**ks up your routine or anything like that just give it your maximum every time for a few weeks and you'll soon see the difference.

I am right at the start, i had 4 weeks on, then 2 months off due to my shoulder injury, which was affecting my riding, so i left the weights for a while so I didn't risk hurting myself too much to ride.

I do run out of energy, I end up putting full effort in, everything I can muster and then failing by the end of the third set. I am just very weak, I have done nothing before. I used to do a lot of XC and swimming, but I was built like a stick. I'm still a small build for 17, but I'm pretty sure it's all plyometric type fibres. I can explode much better than I can lift heavy weights.

Hopefully my shoulder is now fine, I havn't had any trouble for a while, so I should start to see some results from next week. I am starting again, this time taking it easy at first, trying to save my shoulder.

The smallest weight discs I have are 1.25kg. Can you get any lighter? :lol:

I am right at the start, i had 4 weeks on, then 2 months off due to my shoulder injury, which was affecting my riding, so i left the weights for a while so I didn't risk hurting myself too much to ride.

I do run out of energy, I end up putting full effort in, everything I can muster and then failing by the end of the third set. I am just very weak, I have done nothing before. I used to do a lot of XC and swimming, but I was built like a stick. I'm still a small build for 17, but I'm pretty sure it's all plyometric type fibres. I can explode much better than I can lift heavy weights.

Hopefully my shoulder is now fine, I havn't had any trouble for a while, so I should start to see some results from next week. I am starting again, this time taking it easy at first, trying to save my shoulder.

The smallest weight discs I have are 1.25kg. Can you get any lighter? :lol:

tee hee

fly 1 rep max?!

list your 1 rep max for squat, deadlift and bench... others are pretty unimportant.

squats, benchpresses and deadlifts are proven to build you like a f**king tank, forget the isolation stuff, maybe just do a couple exercises but make sure you focus on the building blocks of mass.

Hmmm. What a lot of shit I was chatting last night.

I'd bin to the pub. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I don't have enough weight to test my 1 rep max for deadlift. I did 20 reps at 52.5kg with no pauses, but then I gave up as it was too easy, but my bar isn't long enough to get any more weight on.

Edited by Muel

fly 1 rep max?!

list your 1 rep max for squat, deadlift and bench... others are pretty unimportant.

squats, benchpresses and deadlifts are proven to build you like a f**king tank, forget the isolation stuff, maybe just do a couple exercises but make sure you focus on the building blocks of mass.

i second that!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all...

Errrm well i just started going to the gym as of early last week - all is going well...

However when i first started naturally i pushed myself as hard as i could and felt the effects of it the next day, aching all over and feeling that i've torn into my muscles. Even over the last week i've felt my stamina constantly improve and im able to push harder and for longer which is nice.

But, last night for instance, i pushed myself so hard that i could barely move afterwards and couldnt finish my reps (which im told your supposed to do) yet i feel no aching at all today, not the slightest bit.....? Im just wondering why that is?

I do a load of cardio on the treadmills, cycling and rowing machines, then some resistance work outs followed by a set of weights and some push ups, to finish off with a swim in the pool. I would of thought the more i push myself the more i would feel it the next day?

As far as i am aware if i dont ache the next day - then i havent done it properly...? Any advice...?

Cheers.

Hello to all...

Errrm well i just started going to the gym as of early last week - all is going well...

However when i first started naturally i pushed myself as hard as i could and felt the effects of it the next day, aching all over and feeling that i've torn into my muscles. Even over the last week i've felt my stamina constantly improve and im able to push harder and for longer which is nice.

But, last night for instance, i pushed myself so hard that i could barely move afterwards and couldnt finish my reps (which im told your supposed to do) yet i feel no aching at all today, not the slightest bit.....? Im just wondering why that is?

I do a load of cardio on the treadmills, cycling and rowing machines, then some resistance work outs followed by a set of weights and some push ups, to finish off with a swim in the pool. I would of thought the more i push myself the more i would feel it the next day?

As far as i am aware if i dont ache the next day - then i havent done it properly...? Any advice...?

Cheers.

Train seperate body parts different days so you get a more intence workout , back biceps , shoulders traps , chest triceps.Less

cardio if you want to bulk then do more when you want to tone the muscle

Edited by Deonn h

Reading back through your workout, sounds like you might have been trying to do too much at once. Rest and recovery is important as working out, you want to stimulate the muscle so it thinks it needs to cvhange, not annihilate it!

Do a weights session and maybe a run, but work harder on the weights. If i do just chest and triceps, i can barely stand up and leave the gym afterwards... wouldnt be able to hack all that afterwards and id say im extremely fit.

Yeah i did wonder that....

I always start off on the treadmill though to get myself warmed up and always have to finish with a nice relaxing swim - perhaps i can cut down some of the stuff inbetween. I normally last about 2 hours before im completely screwed from start to finish. I'll give it a go and see how it turns out. I was just concerned that i wasnt aching but if thats because im getting used to it then thats all ok with me :)

Cheers for the advice... (Y)