The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

benched 100kg for 6 reps with a spotter, little help on the last rep. quite pleased.

**PEOPLE TAKING PROTEIN***

go get your tests done for Uric Acid levels in your blood.

i got mine done this week, it should be between 2 and 3 and mine were 6.6.... maximum you can have is 7.

doctor said im lucky i havent got gout yet!!! no more protein shakes for me, she told me it destroyed my liver, and if i continue i will get gout very very very soon!

be careful, im one of the people who thought protein was natural and all that crap! its not, it f**ks your insides up and kills your liver, i cant stress how bad this protein is. eat well and stop taking supplements.

and get your blood tests done for uric acid.

and look up "Gout" and see if you fancy risking getting it because of some f***ing stupid protein shake.

please get your tests done if you take it regularly. might be the best thing you done all your life.

thats my story for this week.

Any suggestions at all?

To be honest I'm with Dr Nick here... the best (only?) way to properly work the muscles used for trials, in a way that will make them better for trials riding (not just make them bigger), is to ride trials. This thread is mainly for people going to the gym to bulk up, which is bad for trials. What you need to do is explosive power training, which gyms really can't provide...

The weather's nice. Get outside and ride instead of wanting to stay inside with a bunch of sweaty guys looking at each other!

Disclaimer: I'm not really one to talk- I didn't do PE past the compulsory stage at school and have never stepped foot inside a gym or worked out... however, with the help of a frankly f****d up metabolism, that hasn't stopped me being quite a muscly springy b*****d just from riding.

benched 100kg for 6 reps with a spotter, little help on the last rep. quite pleased.

i got mine done this week, it should be between 2 and 3 and mine were 6.6.... maximum you can have is 7.

doctor said im lucky i havent got gout yet!!! no more protein shakes for me, she told me it destroyed my liver, and if i continue i will get gout very very very soon!

be careful, im one of the people who thought protein was natural and all that crap! its not, it f**ks your insides up and kills your liver, i cant stress how bad this protein is. eat well and stop taking supplements.

and look up "Gout" and see if you fancy risking getting it because of some f***ing stupid protein shake.

please get your tests done if you take it regularly. might be the best thing you done all your life.

yea, it doesnt do an awful lot just taking 1 after a real hard training session once a week. or when you aint got time to have a meal before going out. but relying on them as some people do for 200g a day of protein, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, is bad news. basically messes with your liver and kidneys (think how hard it is to clean a protein shaker after an hour or so of it sitting there, and how it stains the sink, think of that blocking up all the little pores, passages, capillaries etc, in the organs that have to deal with it.

just out of curiousity, how much protein where you taking a day?

on the steroid front too..... my mate has been on the steroids on the quiet for the last 8 months,we all suspected he had been, but hes admitted it now, hes been to the doctors with cramp and tightness in his chest, and has been getting pins and needles all down his right side. apparently in an effort to get big and ripped, he was chuckin down ephedrine,caffeine, tribulus, creatine, and on oral roids. ended up with him in hospital, hes had ECG's and all that crap, hes lost the pins and needle, but is still getting tightness in his chest, and his blood pressure was apparently through the roof due to the eph and caffeine.

• 3 months later...

Thats why they advise you to drink SILLY amount of water to flush it through. How much protine have you been taking and how much water have you been drinking out of interest.

protien WONT f**k you up, aslong as you work it all off. Doctors told me!

protein wont.

protein shakes on the other hand can.

or maybe they wont, but several people (including a couple of sports nutritionists, and a doctor) have said otherwise.

the doctor pretty much made it out to be devil juice.

and all the others have said dont start substituting it for real protein all that often, add it as a supplement to it occasionally or as a fill in when you get caught short without chicken in the house.

from what i can gather the main thing is the filtration of it through your organs. as i said before, think about when you leave protein in the shaker for a couple of hours just sitting there, or think about when you wash it out, then leave the water in the washing up bowl, itll stain and stick to the plastic fairly easy. so it will supposedly have a tendancy to do the same to your insides, and clog up the pores and capillaries inside your kidneys/liver/intestine.

dont think hitting it once a week is going to kill you. but i know of people who literally survive on the stuff(hell i did for a time) but i know people taking like 7 50 gram shakes spread at 2 hour intervals across the day, equalling 350g of protein intake per day.

Jeeeese, didnt even think this thread was still alive :Slol

Well, i can now say, im a cat funt now :( havnt worked out at all for almost 2 years... not had time with working 7 till 7 5 days a week...

Still ride on sundays and the occasional saturday though... lol, work hard through the day aswell... so thats acting as my exercise lol

I haven't done any weights all summer, I just ride my bike all the time, so I've kept thinking I don't want to be sore when I'm riding, because it makes things a lot harder.

Once I'm back to college, it's back to the weights aswell haha.

The important thing to remember is that protein shakes are a supplement. Under no circumstances should you be relying on them so heavily as for them to be your only source of protein, that's not what they're about. Most bodybuilders will take at least one shake per day (sometimes more on training days) and have been doing so for years. There are some people who suggest that excessive use of protein powders may be harmful to the kidneys. I stress some as I believe they are a minority and most believe them to be completely safe. In any case you should be drinking lots of water throughout the day anyway which will take the load off and help maintain healthy kidneys (kind of like a flushing them out kind of thing).

from what i can gather the main thing is the filtration of it through your organs. as i said before, think about when you leave protein in the shaker for a couple of hours just sitting there, or think about when you wash it out, then leave the water in the washing up bowl, itll stain and stick to the plastic fairly easy. so it will supposedly have a tendancy to do the same to your insides, and clog up the pores and capillaries inside your kidneys/liver/intestine.

I'm not too keen on your reasoning about what happens to protein left in the shaker for a few hours. Yes it does cake onto the sides, but then so do loads of other foods (hell Weetabix practically turns to concrete if you leave it on the side of a bowl for a few hours but I don't hear anyone screaming about what effect eating two of those at breakfast every morning does to the kidneys). What happens to food left in open air isn't necessarily what happens to food once it's in your digestive system.

I've heard so much shit about body building, how much of it is actually true? I tend to just stick the the basics. Workout hard, eat tuna/cheese on toast afterwards.

You're typing this at the end of a 25 page thread about body building...

Have a read .

You're typing this at the end of a 25 page thread about body building...

Have a read .

I've half read some of it. :giggle:

I'm far too lazy to read 25 pages of stuff, I don't do weights much any more anyway so I don't know why I wrote it in the first place.

Or just go onto a bodybuilding website , half of the stuff on here is bullshit to be honest.

as is half the stuff on any bodybuilding website, as is half the stuff anywhere with bodybuilding/weight training.

because past the basics, a feck load of it is finding what works for you, some people build muscle incredibly well on reasonably low levels of protein, others dont, some people can handle excessive protein shakes/steroids/extended periods on creatine, others cant (much in the same way some of us can handle drink and drugs better than others), some people can train 6 days a week and get better results than training twice a week, some people are the other way round.