Attendance On Ucas Statement

nb88

Need some advice...my form tutor was speaking to me about my attendance today and its been pretty shite so far...loads of lates when i take the morning off for free periods etc. I go to lessons, just dont register. Anyway he was saying that he cant put 'good attendance' on my statement anymore for university, but does that matter THAT much? I'm gonna start registering from now on, but do any of you know how much the universitys actually take that into hand, if you get the grades and what they want anyway.

I'm going for a foundation engineering course...

Nozzy.

Need some advice...my form tutor was speaking to me about my attendance today and its been pretty shite so far...loads of lates when i take the morning off for free periods etc. I go to lessons, just dont register. Anyway he was saying that he cant put 'good attendance' on my statement anymore for university, but does that matter THAT much? I'm gonna start registering from now on, but do any of you know how much the universitys actually take that into hand, if you get the grades and what they want anyway.

I'm going for a foundation engineering course...

Nozzy.

Erm... just put it down as good attendance? It sounds a bit like mine... im usually late for everything, my punctuality is a bit crap but the attendance itself is 100%.

You tutor doesnt sign anything anyway does he? Is there any reason he would look at the application form? Bit like shooting yourself in the foot if you put down you dont have good attendance. Sounds like scare tactics to me.

Erm... just put it down as good attendance? It sounds a bit like mine... im usually late for everything, my punctuality is a bit crap but the attendance itself is 100%.

You tutor doesnt sign anything anyway does he? Is there any reason he would look at the application form? Bit like shooting yourself in the foot if you put down you dont have good attendance. Sounds like scare tactics to me.

Nah the head of 6th form or form tutor (or someone) will normally have to add their own little shitzo to the UCAS forum where they talk about your general persona. Kinda like a reference on a job application.

And, although it's not the biggest deciding factor for the admissions tutors, I'd say they may frown upon it slightly. Why should they accept someone who doesn't bother with punctuality (and thus may not bother with all lectures, classes, seminars...) when they can accept someone who wears Big Ben on his/her wrist. I'm not having a go or anything, of course, because it's not my place to do so. I'm saying though, it might put a downer on your application depending on the type of person your admissions tutors turn out to be. They won't accept someone who won't make full use of their facilities, and stuff... if you get me.

So yeah, won't matter that much... but if you can slip your tutor some sexual favours to deter him/her from putting that on, then definitely do so.

Yeah i see....well im gonna try and be punctual from now on, no matter how annoying/stupid it is......like having 3 free periods in the morning, coming in to register, then going home and doing work :) . just have to live with it i suppose.

I dont think its that important, unless you are applying to some top notch universities were competition is strong to get in. The university will be looking for someone that demonstrates an intrest in school through turning up to classes on time. Thats only one aspect theres loads more that are more important.

I agreed with my teacher in 6th form that I was going homeon fridays early becasue I had no lessons and could they mark me in.

Dont worry about it that much.

I obviously wont put it on my personal statement, but he has to write a professional statement for me... they never say bad stuff on it, but as i dont have good attendance he cant write that, and he says universitys notice.

Just like when I was at school. Had free lessons in the morning so I turned up did my homework for that day and went to the common room to play cards.

Yeah, im predicted 1 A, 1 B, 1 C at the moment so its looking alright. I need a minimum of Cs to get into the course i wanna do.

I also have an engineering crest award which has quite a good reputation for universitys apparently...hopefully that'll 'cancel' out my lates :(

I had pretty much perfect attendance at school / 6th form, but tis much harder to be bothered to get up at uni! ive missed 2 9am lectures already :(

ahh well, all is good :D

Hhaha yep uni is a laugh.

I had to go home every weekend to work, missed my 1pm leactures every week without fail becasue I wanted to get a fast train back. I did go to the lecture, picked up the handouts and left.

I passed that subject with a very good mark.

Craming is the way forward, had 4 exams one day after the other, locked myself literally in the geography department and rebvised all night.

This was all im my most important year, the las tone and I came out with the degree I need to get as good job.

I want to go back and do it again but this time worse than beofre.

Don't you get registered in your lessons? If so, could he not word it carefully so as to say something like 'excellent attendance to lessons' rather than 'excellent attendance' overall?

Seems a weird idea to me being registered in the mornings at 6th form. The college I went to was really well structured: there was no such thing as morning and evening registration, as far as I remember we had one 'tutor group' meeting a week and that was all we were expected to turn up for outside of lectures. That and the general attitude of the lecturers really helped in making the college an effective stepping stone between school and unversity.

I think 6th forms that are attached to schools, or operate on similar principles to school, probably make things a lot harder for the pupils when they step up to university. It's a big enough gap from the type of college I went to to University, so it must be really hard for people to get into line with the University method of study having come straight from school.

Don't you get registered in your lessons? If so, could he not word it carefully so as to say something like 'excellent attendance to lessons' rather than 'excellent attendance' overall?

Seems a weird idea to me being registered in the mornings at 6th form. The college I went to was really well structured: there was no such thing as morning and evening registration, as far as I remember we had one 'tutor group' meeting a week and that was all we were expected to turn up for outside of lectures. That and the general attitude of the lecturers really helped in making the college an effective stepping stone between school and unversity.

I think 6th forms that are attached to schools, or operate on similar principles to school, probably make things a lot harder for the pupils when they step up to university. It's a big enough gap from the type of college I went to to University, so it must be really hard for people to get into line with the University method of study having come straight from school.

Yeah i agree with you there... morning and afternoon registrations are just pointless in my opinion. I dont think we used to have it at my school but we got a new principle and hes being an arse. I'll have a word with him about the attendance in lessons thing, good idea (Y)

cheers

I dont remeber being registered in lessons just morning and afternoon.

Idid IT a level and it was the most pointless lesson to turn upto, Id just play games whereas at home Id do my work. So I used to walk out past the teacher and everytime he would say if you dont turn up Ill be marking you not here, duh, I didnt really care. I got an A in it so puh.

Edited by Michael Hardman