Zona Or Gu ?

1stly:- We talking MOD or STOCK er? before you bitch ZONA is a new Compnany of The SuperCycle Group/ONZA

Gu make MOD & STOCK as do Zona

I'd say GU. I saw a GU MOD at the weeknd and was nice but could see the cheapness and mass production on it. I couldn't ride ir properlynamely to the manner of it being set up and fact the back brake was not even there...the lad broke it and cracked the mounts.

I was going to get a Zona ZIP but the huge size of them Dropouts put me off..,.kinda look cheap i thought but everything eles is minto.

Pete

Gu make MOD & STOCK as do Zona

er - dont zona just make the zip at the moment?

if you read all the other 'should i get a GU' posts you'll see it comes down to 2 things.

1 : do you want to spend £300 or £200 on a frame?

2 : do you want a bike as long as the zona?

the zona is long - long like a python. People who have them love them.

there are 2 lengths of GU - both are shorter than the zona.

I think the general concensus is that a shorter bike is better for a beginner because it's easier to get on the back wheel whereas a longer frame gives you more leverage for the big moves but is harder to get on the backwheel.

think about what you ride now, decide whether it's too long or too short or just right and then buy a frame that suits your decision best.

er - dont zona just make the zip at the moment?

if you read all the other 'should i get a GU' posts you'll see it comes down to 2 things.

1 : do you want to spend £300 or £200 on a frame?

2 : do you want a bike as long as the zona?

the zona is long - long like a python. People who have them love them.

there are 2 lengths of GU - both are shorter than the zona.

I think the general concensus is that a shorter bike is better for a beginner because it's easier to get on the back wheel whereas a longer frame gives you more leverage for the big moves but is harder to get on the backwheel.

think about what you ride now, decide whether it's too long or too short or just right and then buy a frame that suits your decision best.

Thats not true, length has nothing to do with how a bike feels on the back wheel. chain stays make a far bigger difference, as well as other factors

I have a zona and my mate has a gu. I dont like the idea of not having the bash plate unless you ride perfectly or use a strong bash ring, also the all that extra metal on the gu is just more weight, ok it may add strenth but the extra weight will surly let you down. My zona may be long but with a zoo stem would be perfect. The stays are long but this makes things like sidehopping alot easier. In my opinoin try them both see which one suits you best and decide about wether you need a bash plate or not please save yourself £85 and get a zona

hope this helps Gavyn :lol:

I have a zona and my mate has a gu. I dont like the idea of not having the bash plate unless you ride perfectly or use a strong bash ring, also the all that extra metal on the gu is just more weight, ok it may add strenth but the extra weight will surly let you down. My zona may be long but with a zoo stem would be perfect. The stays are long but this makes things like sidehopping alot easier. In my opinoin try them both see which one suits you best and decide about wether you need a bash plate or not please save yourself £85 and get a zona

Wrong, Gu ways quite a bit less than the zona. I was going to get a zona but now Im getting a GU generally because It looks nicer, It's been built by echo so it has been well tested and It's substancely light :lol:

sorry guys left it on and my brother posted it again.

ps: How do you know exactly how much a gu weighs it just says around 2 kg and looks really cheaply made to be honest i think the key difference between mod and stock is a mod has a bash plate a mod without a bash plate just isn't right (Y)

cheers gav (Y)

Wrong, Gu ways quite a bit less than the zona. I was going to get a zona but now Im getting a GU generally because It looks nicer, It's been built by echo so it has been well tested and It's substancely light (Y)

Obviously you weren't around for the Echo ES-series then? (Y)

Aaaaaaaaaanyways, the Zip's been tested extensively as well. Ryan was riding one for a hell of a long time before it was eventually released, and they don't release stuff from Supercycles unless they're really happy with it. It doesn't make much business sense to release a frame you know will break instantly, simply 'cos it's going to cost you your reputation and your money for the warranty replacements.

I wouldn't say it was substantially lighter either, and to be honest, the difference in geometries mean that they won't "feel" like they're _._lbs anyway. The weights all seem to be a little on the vague side anyway, so I wouldn't take any of them as gospel. Don't forget as well that the Zona's going to be carrying some more weight with the bashguard mounts anyway (which you could grind off if you so wished).

To the "anti-bashring" people, for the last time - think about stock riders: they just use bashrings, and they work fine. Seriously. Nothing wrong with running a bashring at all. Ever.

(Y) yeh I'm a newbie, now Im seriously stuck on which to get , but I can get a deal on the GU, which will bring it down to around £230 I think. ohh and I've got a t-pro now, if I get a GU will the only thing I need new a headset, and if so which one, I was thinking the cane creek £20 one. (Y)

As long as you've got a bashring, you should be fine. Oh, and as long as your rear Magura hose isn't really short as it is.

i dont understand why would it be too short?

The Gu and the Zona are both great bikes :D If you like long mod the zona is the right choice but if you like shorter mods the GU is the way to go.

Ive only seen one built up GU ( not including the ones from gubike.com) and it looks really nice but ive seen a few zonas and they look lush :P

Wrong, Gu ways quite a bit less than the zona. I was going to get a zona but now Im getting a GU generally because It looks nicer, It's been built by echo so it has been well tested and It's substancely light :blink:

well my mate and i have both weighed are frames on the same pair of scales

zona was 2.90kg and the gu was 2.70kg most of the extra weight would seem to be the bash mounts.

if u can call 20 grams a quite abit lighter then u must be crazy.

:S Gav

well my mate and i have both weighed are frames on the same pair of scales

zona was 2.90kg and the gu was 2.70kg most of the extra weight would seem to be the bash mounts.

if u can call 20 grams a quite abit lighter then u must be crazy.

:blink: Gav

The difference between 2.9kg and 2.7kg is 200g, not 20g.

Also, neither frame should weigh that much- did they have headsets/bash(plate/rings)s/bottom brackets in, too?

i dont understand why would it be too short?

For example: the front end on my Zona was 40mm longer than the front end on my T-Pro. That means the brake hose has to reach 40mm extra. 'cos of that, if it was really short on the T-Pro, I'd be f**ked on the Zip, unless I had my bars turned left all the time or something...