Making A Cassette Hub Silent, Without Raping It?

Mark W

HI ALL

Right, as some of you may be aware from my "Happy thread" post, my current raped Hazard cassette hub is beautifully, beautifully silent. It still engages, but it also still skips.

Not ideal.

So I'm being sent a replacement driver, which should theoretically be louder as it'll probably, y'know, work?

Anyways, I want to keep it quiet, but how can I quieten down my hub without making it more prone to skipping?

Anything at all?

Thanks for any help...

Mark

More liable to skip like a schoolgirl.

Finishline wet lube seems to stop noise: dead, but it sorta wears off after a while and goes all "HHHNNNNNNNNNNNNN" again.

It's just been so nice just coasting along silenty, not with some f**king hive of bees following me around by my back wheel (Y)

I've tried Mark. (Y) When i sent my hope off after it first died, it came back silent. But was packed with grease so when it skipped, it skipped massively and where it has engaged again, it has slowly over time destroyed the ratchet again. (Y)

Unless you get a stealth hub, its noisey hubs. (Y)

I've tried Mark. (Y) When i sent my hope off after it first died, it came back silent. But was packed with grease so when it skipped, it skipped massively and where it has engaged again, it has slowly over time destroyed the ratchet again. (Y)

Unless you get a stealth hub, its noisey hubs. (Y)

Mine is packed with blue grease. It's damned silent, and I don't think I've had any skipping.

Personally, I liked it before. Noisy freewheels rock!

It still is the fashion to do that Matt, if you look at - for example - bmx-forum.com (it's shit), there are quite a lot of threads asking how to make their cassette hubs louder. Either way, I wanted mine quieter.

Not gonna buy a King BMX hub (ÂŁ425?), and I can't force a Stealth hub in there, and I can't get a freewheel on there either, so I may have to possibly try Adam's idea. The Hazard doesn't have individual springs under each set of pawls; it's got a sorta big round C-shaped spring that wraps around the main body of the hub, and it works from that bending when the pawls are pushed down, so it forces itself back into it's normal shape which pushes them up again...if er you see what I mean. So it shouldn't matter *too* much if I do get grease on that part of it...

Is 80W pretty much a solid? (Y)

I'll check out how the new driver works out (when it gets here), and I may take a trip to the local car shop and see what they've got kicking around. Probably get me to try (their second attempt (Y)) and enter their "Free" Win-a-Mini competition, which costs ÂŁ5 to enter...

*Shakes fist in anger*

Ah well, I'll find a way.

You could try whacking thick sticky grease (so it doesnt shift about) between the ratchet and pawls (where they meet), but NOT on the spring(s). Then it should still engage properly, but be less noisy.

Could always try that? Since it'll work n stuff. You need something REALLY goopy, like 'Slick Honey' Lube (if you can find any), or Bullshot, etc.