Modyfying My Rear Mech

saracen--mad

Hi i was looking at my rear mech today and wonder whether this would work.

1. cut here

pic 1

2. leaving this

pic 2

placing 2 underneath chain and use it as a chain tensioner to push the chain up (cable ties to hold up will be used)

Will this work thanks for any help

Cheers Again

Matt :P :)

Dont do it dont do it dont do it

I had one like that it just comes loose and ur forever tightening it and it just really doesnt work.

I agree with Josh.

Take off the back plate on the mech and the top jockey wheel., then put a nut on the bottom jocket wheel bolt to hold it in place, then fit chain as short as possible, then use the remainders of the mech to tension it.

The spring tension is much better than other tensioners like DMR and Surly, works great.

Yes, it will work fine. I've been running my XTR one like that for 2 years, and have had zero problems. However, I wouldn't want to run it with up tension. My chain is tight enough to allow it, but you'd have to have zipties or something pulling up on the derailleur, and that's not gonna allow for any flex when you hit the bash, or even just pedaling along, so it's gonna give you crappy, uneven tension.

I run mine pushing down on the chain. OBVIOUSLY, you aren't gonna run the derailleur locked out like you would with a normal derailleur. There won't be any spring to tension the chain, and it's just gonna come loose on you all the time. It would be like running a Singulator locked out...

To the ones that say they've had problems: what went wrong? I can't see any way for any problems to happen to mine, so maybe you guys had different setups, or tried to lock the derailleur out.

I'll post pics of mine with my most recent setup, Kool chain and 16t rear cog. I'm running just the one cog, but back when I had 5, the barrel adjuster allowed me to shift between 4 cogs with 8sp spacing with no problems. Loved it for when it was time to ride long ways.