1 Lever 2 Brakes...

1handedluke

Hello all,

As most of you know, I ride with one standard magura HS33 05 lever running the front and rear brakes.

But I had to run just a rear brake for a while because i broke my 05 lever (snaped it in half) I tried to bleed both of them with a 04 lever but for some reason the piston in the lever didn't seem to be able to cope with the 2 brakes, It was always feeling spongey and weak, i tried to bleed it multiply times, and once in the bath aswell.

So i decided to just bleed the rear brake with the 04 lever and it works PERFECT! i can backwheel like 4-5 inchs higher now, just because the brake holds.

So lately guys i've just been riding with a rear brake and forgetting about my front, but i'm starting to find it really restrictive because i can't wheel swap and sidehop etc, basically i can't do anything which includes the front wheel. So i was thinking is there anyway i can run 2 pistons off one lever (or maybe just a bigger lever piston), and maybe get a longer leverblade, so theres more leverage!?

just wondered if you guys had any crazy ideas which might help?!?

Thanks Luke :P

So at the minute do you use a cable splitter? like one of these -Monty_Brake_Splitter.jpg somewhere along the brake line so the one lever pulls both brakes? available from here if you don't already have one link to monty oil compensator/splitter

You could use a longer lever, something like a filed down rb lever in an 04 magura body or and actual rb lever or even one of the nice cnc'd levers made by Todge and available on the freshproducts site link to fresh site i don't know if the lever is currently available to buy yet though.

Sorry i don't know anything about larger pistons or anything, but i hope it was at least some help all the same.

Right me and my Dad were talking about this in the car, (in admiration (dont take this the wrong way))

And the only way that you can get the same power in both brakes would be to effectivly run 2 levers on the left hand side, i was thinking that there may be a way that you can run 1 lever, which if adapted may be able to displace 2ce and so to run 2 cables out of 1 lever without a cable splitter.

Thoughts on this?

Looking at the pic of your bike a while ago, it probably would be better if you could get a monty hose splitter, that way you would only have one hosing going into the leaver, rather than two.

I would make it easier to bleed aswell. :P

Custom machined lever to displace two cylinders seems like a brilliant idea, although it sounds expensive to produce just a few of them. Maybe you could get government funding to produce the lever?

There is a guy on the OTN forum who also can only brake with one hand. His name is "Coppell Stereo" I think. He uses v-brakes with a lever modified to accept two cables.

what about putting two levers on one side.... as close to one another as possible? Not so sure whether it would work with maggy levers though.....

I saw it done on a guys bike in one of the NWDisorder movies, whereby he had a wheelchair bike with 4brakes (one for each wheel) on standard bars. They were hayes disc jobbies, and they fit so snugg together the levers barely had a mm underneath one-another. heres a piccy....

gallery_3155_190_14322.jpg

....if you get what i mean. OR if you are machining anything, why not do that - then machine or weld a lever together that fits into two levers ontop of one another? Mite be cheaper than machining an entire lever with two pistons - and would have the same power as two levers :)

hope that helps :P

Im actually well heart broken i cant find it

My friend used to have a lever which had 2 portals for cable brakes so you could run 2 V_brakes simply without having to bodge stuff together it was designed so you dont need to have a split for the gyro please find it and post pics!!!

I wasnt thinking about getting a lever specially made im sure someone on here could bodge it id have a go!!!

Im actually well heart broken i cant find it

My friend used to have a lever which had 2 portals for cable brakes so you could run 2 V_brakes simply without having to bodge stuff together it was designed so you dont need to have a split for the gyro please find it and post pics!!!

I wasnt thinking about getting a lever specially made im sure someone on here could bodge it id have a go!!!

leversm.jpg

Edited by JT!

This is how I used to have it set up.

lever27al.jpg

And on my old club roost i did have it split using the monty splitter, but it was on a HS11.

Looking at the pic of your bike a while ago, it probably would be better if you could get a monty hose splitter, that way you would only have one hosing going into the leaver, rather than two.

I would make it easier to bleed aswell. :turned:

Would it make it easier, because with the way when its got the hose connecting to the lever its still one complete circuit. bleeding fron the brake cylinder to the other brake cylinder, but with the monty spliter wouldn't it become like a 3 way thing with the bleed hole on the lever and the 2 holes on the brake cylinders?

Luke

EDIT: one guy in my LBS said something about trying to use a magura motorbike lever?!? Anyone know anything about magura motorbike levers?

Edited by 1handedluke

You could get two lever bodies and having them as close as possible and then machining a custom lever so it fits into two bodies and pushes two pistons etc.?

Or Do above but just use two normal leverblades and araldite/weld them together so you could pushe the top one in and both would go in?

Joe :turned:

Would it make it easier, because with the way when its got the hose connecting to the lever its still one complete circuit. bleeding fron the brake cylinder to the other brake cylinder, but with the monty spliter wouldn't it become like a 3 way thing with the bleed hole on the lever and the 2 holes on the brake cylinders?

Yeah good point.

I would be harder to bleed, but it still wouldn't be too difficult. And it should work much better.

i had a mild form of insomnia last night thinking about this, i would like to talk to some people as i think it would be easy to adapt 2 leavers into 1 brake with a bit of cutting and soldering, but would solder hold because i cant weld at all, id like to give it a try with 2 05' levers but need to get some 1st

isn't a 2 maggies, 1 lever always gonna feel a bit crap though, because of stuff like pad wear rates being different. If you could get both brakes hitting the rim at exactly the same time, then it would probably feel nice.

I kinda like the idea of have two separate brake systems (that joe elding suggested) and using one giant lever, but having two tpa's - that kinda seems like it would work.

odyessy make a bmx lever than can run two cables into in it, maybe that could come in useful.

i have been running just a back brake for the last few weeks and it hasn't been that bad, still can sidehop gap, up, gaps to front wheel and loadsa other stuff. started messing arounf with footjam stuff too (Y) was kinda fun!!

other than that running two separate brake levers on the same side (like that dude in the wheelchair) and learning to brake with your 'second' (is it the middle finger? i dunno :turned: ) could work!

mike

i had a mild form of insomnia last night thinking about this, i would like to talk to some people as i think it would be easy to adapt 2 leavers into 1 brake with a bit of cutting and soldering, but would solder hold because i cant weld at all, id like to give it a try with 2 05' levers but need to get some 1st

Solder would deffo not hold, you'd be better off using sellotape.

why not get a monty spliter and run it so it would run both brakes of the lever im sure it would work just try it or put 2 levers next to each other.

thats all i can think of or why not get used to only runnign a rear brake?

matt staples only used to run a rear brake and he could do everything on his bike

Using 2 levers with 1 blade would have the same amount of power as running 2 off one lever. Either way the pressure exhorted on the lever is split between the 2.

Yes it would, but if there was 2 pistons with both moving TPA's i could align the brakes better so all 4 are the same distance from the rim, and also with one piston sometimes the piston "maxs out" where it hits the end of the cylinder (if the brakes are to far away from the rim)

Luke