Indoor Spot + Sidehop

walker

My sidehop, 7 pallets high, notice i am doing it the wrong way, but im not really bothered, i practice both ways and i can go equally high.

sidehop18vl.th.jpg

and this is my new winter trianing ground, its floodlit and weather proof, it isnt huge, cos of the stored wheat, tractors and a combine are also in the shed. Oh, i live on a farm as u might have guessed.

training9rm.th.jpg

Any comments appreciated

-Andrew

Edited by walk_aw

Nice sidehop, your lucky to have an indoor spot like that for winter!

I have recently learnt to sidehop to my right (Im left foot forward) and I can get higher over a bar but when it comes to walls I cant get as high as I could going to my left yet, breaking mech hangers does put me off. :turned:

Yer, i c ur point but the main reason i want it inside is cos i get home from school at 6.00pm and its cold and dark so i can still ride in the shed, pallets are lethal at this time of yr and i have a radio inside (i always ride on my own). I could ride until 2 in the morning if i wanted, but usually i hurt myself before then! lol

-Andrew

People say that going to the same side as ur lead foot is the wrong way (ie, in this pic i am hopping to the right and i am right foot forward. They say, and most pros / street riders prefer to go the opposite side to their lead foot, this is generally known to be the correct way. This is because when you lead with ur front foot it passes closer to the object, so ur more likely to catch ur foot on the way up going the wrong way.

However, i dont believe it matters, i can go equally high each way and i practise both. I can sidehop to pedal better to the right and hold it (this is important because i ride comps).

Less experienced riders are more likely to sidehop the wrong way because it feels more natural, so u hav to get yourself out of that habit to do it the correct way.

- Andrew

Gotcha. I think it's pretty useful to practice both ways. Sometimes you could be in a position where you NEED to side hop on the opposite direction.

It's a weak area for me that's for sure. It's the sort of thing where your indoor area is gonna come in real handy.

I've got to look in to finding something like that myself!