Brake Cable Outer ...

Endohopper

I realise that V-Brakes aren't terribly popular , but I have a question for those who do run them at the rear .

Can I achieve better performance by interrupting the outer at the cable stops , or simply running full length outer from lever to noodle ?

I'm guessing the stops are there for a reason , but I could simply secure the whole thing to the hose guides . I'll be running XT levers and arms with decent cable . Will it make any difference either way ? :P

i run full outers now, when i had my base i ran with the stops and it felt crap in comparison, but that was with those crappy avid flakjacket cables, with linear slicks im sure it would be tonnes better.

with my new base im gonna run full cable and perhaps some middleburn cable oilers cos im lazy and cant be bothered to pull it all apart to relube the cable once in a while :P

maguras? why (Y)

Yeah, learn from the mistakes of virtually every top class trials rider, ever :wub: Just look at htem all running V-brakes, after being spanked viciously for using MAguras :D

Before anyone acts like a complete twat*, I'm joking :)

*Not directed at Paul.

he he, i dont mind mark, each to their own i guess-i just personally cant see why on earth everyone likes what i can only see as an inferior brake to v brakes (by that i dont mean they are the worst brakes ever-but vs have the edge over them)-but im sure the majority are opposed (Y)

im not overly fussed what people run-if it works for them, then great :)

Fair enough.

Going back to the original post: with a compressionless outer like a Linear Slic, cable routing doesn't *really* mean all that much. With stops, my Flak JAcket was awesome. Without stops, my Slic is pretty awesome. Just get a good cable (look to the BMX world (Y)).

I hate tomm , But i have to agree full outer is as crap as you can get. Run it through the stops :wub:

how comes? (Y) :)

When i had to wait for magura to fix/replace my front brake lever, i got my V-brake off the rear of my jump bike (was really shit and spongey as f**k) then i put it on the front of my T-mag (at the time :) ) and it felt AMAZING! the power flew me over the bars at one point, but the spongeyness was still there slightly :P

BTW, this was a full outer cable :D

When i had to wait for magura to fix/replace my front brake lever, i got my V-brake off the rear of my jump bike (was really shit and spongey as f**k) then i put it on the front of my T-mag (at the time :P ) and it felt AMAZING! the power flew me over the bars at one point, but the spongeyness was still there slightly :D

BTW, this was a full outer cable :wub:

20" wheels, thats why.

When i had to wait for magura to fix/replace my front brake lever, i got my V-brake off the rear of my jump bike (was really shit and spongey as f**k) then i put it on the front of my T-mag (at the time :) ) and it felt AMAZING! the power flew me over the bars at one point, but the spongeyness was still there slightly :D

BTW, this was a full outer cable :wub:

Did you shorten the cable by anychance? The shorter the cable the better the brake will feel. Which is why front v's always work better than rears :P