Spray Painting

John planet x

Yo. Just baught some spray paints from halfords. doing 3 colours on bike. But just needed some info.

I have 3 colours. White, Black and Red. And a white primer.

I have an echo hifi, was wondering what i need to do before applying the primer.

Take off all that shiny dung etc.

Cheers

Oh and any other tips are appreciated

Edited by John planet x

Spray painting requires alot of patience and skill. From my own experiences I'd say that for the first few jobs you do will almost certainly be dissappointed with the result,.as you learn all the essentials.

I've tried spraying a variety of things and each time wished I'd not bothered looking at it from a simple time put in and the final result point of view.

My philosophy is now rather a tatty paint job than having to expend lots of time, patience and money on trying my own which will probabily end up worse!

Sorry to be so negative! If you have lots of free time and are up for a new experience, then why not?

Good luck

Steve

lol putting me off now :S

will have a think about it. Spent 10 pounds though! rofl

Also my hifi is a bit scratched n stuff. Wanted to mint it up. Thats why i was gonna do it. Got an old shitty frame lying around i might test on.

Edited by John planet x

Think to the back of your mind which garages have you smelt paint at :-

Then go there and they will do it cheap as owt :) , they just use a compression machine :S

sort of speaks for its self. i now theres loads here in mansfield.

cheers andy

I would deffo recommend you testing on another frame first!

Like mr heatsink - i too have had many experiments that have turned out super sh*t compared with my wishful thinking! After about 5 attempts i finally got the best result yet on my giant.

in my sig i've got a couple of pics of the results i tryed. the "old look" being one of my first attempts.

The mistakes i made: -

- tryed to do it quickly

- put spray paint on a shiney frame - without any seriuous sanding down

- whilst trying to spray an arkward spot (thats hard to get to) i ended up getting to much paint on the surrounding bits, therfore dripping, if that makes sense!? (i imagine the fancy headtube of a hifi might be hard to do too)

- not enough layers of laquer - means it chips off with your fingernails!

- touching the paint before the completely dry time - leaves fingerprints that dry like it, or if your way too early, obviously takes the paint off.

- that B&Q stuff that says two in one - laquer and paint al in one - doesnt work!! its crappy stuff, you do really need to lauqer it all seperatley

Few tips i might advise on: -

- Sand ever mm of paint off the frame you can, or if its a super shiney one (think the hifi is) get rid of every inch of shine. (edit: with fine sandpaper - so it will take a long time! :S) Then prime it well. I too used the stuff from b and q, it worked well when done correctly - i'd advise two coats of primer - covering everbit of the frame

- Let each layer dry well - it will take a long time - but you cant rush it!!!

- Dont be lazy, each layer must be put on as equally amount as possible in every nook and cranney

- in terms of colour coats, i did about 3 / 4, then applied the decals,

- then about 5 coats of laquer - quite hard to tell where you've put it though - as its practically see through after the first coat!

the "new look" in my sig was my latest paint job - the best yet, seems nearly as strong as the original paint job. One colour this time too - which is MUCH easier....

hope my experience helps, its completely up to you - but its always one of those "stay awake thinkig about it" ideas that you think will be amazing, but never turns out as expected!

cheers(Y)

andy

Edited by skandy32

If you take your time and follow some of the advice above you will end up with a good finish that will last.

I spent a day, on and off, at work ( Halfords) repainting a bike that had been scratched, and when I had finished the finish really was as good as new. Its just a case of taking your time and really doing things properly.