Guitar, Learning

Has anyone seen my shoe?

I know exactly what you mean Mark! My fretboard knowledge is probably about as good as it's going to get, i.e. tell me where one degree of a scale is on the neck and I can play the rest of it anywhere. But knowing notes and whatever is stills low for me, and looking at key signatures i have to work it out from the cycle of fifths. It's frustrating for me and it ticks people off when you're playing in a 'big band' sort of situation.

But practice makes perfect, so I just keep trying :)

I'm getting better at chord reading now for the jazz band at college, and I think my approach to learning more complex chords (something like Ab7#11 or the like, horrible to look at!) is to work them out properly and get a fingering you can manage, or practice until you can manage one but then learn the shape so it's more instant recall. "Playing theory" as you call it is definitely hella useful!

EDIT: Also get some really good guitar playing in your music collection as a bit of encouragement. A lot of the stuff on Strange Beautiful Music by Joe Satriani is pretty achievable and damn catchy to boot, so I'd recommend that. Also anything Dream Theater, Train Of Thought being my favourite.

Edited by benno

I'll agree, he's good at what he does, but he doesn't do much. His style is SO limited I could cry. Give me Satch or Vai any day (Y) They're both just much more interesting to listen to, you could hum along to a Malmsteen song even if you'd never heard it before.

No to mention he's a twat. I've got a soundclip (I'll try and track down where the f**k I got it from) of him, to quote Yngwie:

Unleashing [the] fooking fury

at some woman.

Story goes that he was on a plane making fun of gay people. She got uppity and poured a glass of water over him. He starts calling her a "f**king bitch" and saying he's gonna punch her out and stuff. It's the funniest thing ever, just for the "fooking fury" bit...

Not to mention that he's not really doing anything new? If you look at the G3 vid where he's playing with Satch and Vai, it's basically just Satch and Vai doing really creative stuff together, and tehn Yngwie just does chromatic runs once in a while, maybe some uber fast scalar runs, that sorta stuff. It's just not great 'music', imo of course :P

Despite the fact he is the most arrogant man on the planet, I looooooooooooooove Yngwie Malmsteen, everyone has to listen to Vengeance, it could actually be the best song in the world.

lmao yngwie is great. i went and saw him live and was actually in hyserics when i realised what a complete twat he is. dont get me wrong hes phenominal on a guitar but hes such a idiot on stage, spinning his guitar about and stuff. and lets face it his songwriting skills are shite.

satch is the man for shred, followed by vai

but eric clapton rules em all

Edited by chrishayton

Ladies and gentlemen (and wankers), I present to you, Mr. Guthrie Govan. Incredibly nice guy, sounds and looks like a hobo from London, but is incredible at playing the guitar. He can do the sorta "shred" shit in a Vai-esque way, but he's also an incredibly gifted song-writer. The stuff he does with his band, The Fellowship, is nuts.

Also, fun fact: During a recent roadtrip in Britain, Yngwie stopped at a music school (I think it was BIMM). Anyway, at the same place was Guthrie Govan, who happened to be there on the day - might sometimes teach, I'm not 100%. Anyway, Yngwie invited a student to come up and "jam" with him (read: watch Yngwie shred, closeup). He invited Mr. Govan, who then dominated him. Yngwie stormed out. Gotta love fat bastards :rolleyes:

And more ;)http://www.tonemerchants.com/Guthrie_Govan..._2005_Clips.htm Specifically pay attention to Wonderful Slippery Thing, clip #6 from the NAMM show.