Problem When Rding

c.kezer

when i ride my chain clunks when i ether gap or put some pressure on it. i was thinking that it might be because the teeth have rounded off on my freewheel not sure though because i have run two types of chain and this has only started when i bought the new chain. has any one got any ideas.

chris

Maybe your chain is too long, check the length.

It is lol, I don't know whats wrong with his chain, it used to be fine when he had a KMC but he got a new one and it keeps snappin' etc, it's just a really bad chain and it's too long for the chain stays and the wheel can't go out any further. Real big problem

Mat

It is most likely that you have a new chain and worn cogs/sprockets/freewheel or what ever. This means that they are not meshing correctly therefore you should buy new cogs. (Y)

yep too right the cogs and freewheel are more worn than the cahin the best thing is now to get a new sprocket chain and freewheel or get your old chain back on

hmmmm, which KMC is it?

the thin one?

If it is, then if you take the whole chain off, and look at your rear fixed sprocket, and its all mashed, then the chain isnt going onto your sprocket properly, and its just slipping round, get the wider chain (Y)

(its happened to me a few times...)

i cant shorten it because the wheel wont move back any more and if i try tension it the pad are brakeing on the tyre dont no what to do.

chris

you could move thw wheel as far forward as you can and take a single link out of the chain, but i had the same problem with my bike before, it turned out that the freewheel was slipping, so i replaced it with an ACS Freewheel, that was about 5 months ago and it's been fine since. if the problem happens again possibly try getting your mits on an ENO freewheel, they're the most reliable freewheels on the market, but will set you back about 80 big ones

The reason it slipps is because you've got a small chainring you get a lot of torque which puts a lot of pressure on the freewheel and can cause the teeth to slightly round off and they won't lock into position properly when you pedal suddenly, causing your cranks to spin effortlessly and sending you knee into your stem at hight speeds resulting in a hell of a lot of pain and a day or two of funn walking. talking from past experiences ^_^

Good luck getting the problem sorted anyway mate!

Mike!!!

i have tried moveing the wheel forward to take a link out but it dose go back far enough so i am clueless

i have a biger chain now and i had a smaller one before.

chris

Hmmm, what size cogs have you got?

18T on the front? and 12T on the back?

Ifso, then im clueless about the size of the chain, cause it should work :S

Have you checked to see if there any stif links in the chain?

yeah that could be the cause of it all, take your chain off, get some petrol in the bottom of an icecream tub, completley submurge the chain in the petrol, and leave it overnight, then take it out, move every link around, then dry it off completley, and grease it up again, i'd use a high melting point engine grease.

also if there is even a tiny buckle in your chainring or freewheel, it'll createa tight spot, when the chain goes over it, this could also be the cause of your problem!

Mike!!!

Did you put the chain on yourself? if you did chances are you have a stiff link, where the pin is in at a funny thing, just move you chain and find it, push the chain outwards as hard as you can using both thumbs and do the same other side untill it loosens up move the pin if its not right e.t.c. because ^^^^ sounds effort