The Decision

Trolley_dude

Hi, last time i posted was in new members chat, 'Getting Started'. Well now, i've hit a bit of a predicament. To pick the ideal bike i supose is a pretty tall order for someone with limited knowledge of bikes, let alone trials bikes. Im torn between practical, or a non-practical bike. If i were to get a trials bike and then decide that i dont really have the determination to keep riding, apart from re-selling it, whats it good for? On the otherhand, i have this bike, which i've seen for sale on ebay. Its been described as fit for trials and jump. Plus it has the practical use as a road bike if necisary. Is anyone else in the same boat? If you could post some pro's and con's about riding trials, that would be great. Cheers.

Chris B)

You gotta decide what you want to do really. A decent trials bike will be rubbish for getting around on, and a trials/jump bike will be shit for trials. There is no such thing as a trials/jump bike really, it'll just be something that someone has bodged together and thought it would sell better if they sold it as a dual-purpose bike.

I would say get the trials bike. You can always sell it again like you say. But then again we are biased around here, we like trials :P In fact: Don't get the trials/jump bike. Get either a trials bike, or a jump bike, or a road bike/whatever. There isn't anything that will do everything, so just pick one thing you like and try it. Second hand bikes hold their value pretty well - You could probably buy something second hand now, use it for a year and (if you decide you don't like it) sell it for maybe only £100 less than you paid for it.

you could get a streety style stock with a few gears and a road saddle with a post. if you buy a short cage mech such as the shimano 105 or sora then you wont find to many probs. then when riding trials use the low gears and when you want to just ride around pop the saddle up and use a higher gear and off you go.

jimbo

I think im more intersted in riding mod, no offence to stock, its just i like the smaller style bikes. Probably because i've done a bit of BMX. Thanks anyway though. Buying two bikes would probably be a better idea, like manxrider says. Hey, know anywhere thats got a cheap BMX for sale? I'd be looking for sumthin around £45. Cheers.

Chris B)

I manage ok with just a mod - it depends how far you have to go really.

Where I work is about 2 miles away and my little t-poo gets me there fine - unless the weather's proper nasty or ive got an evil hangover, then i just walk.

If it were much farther than that I'd get me one of those 70quid mountainbikes from the cheapy cycle shops and use that for travelling. (i really must finish off those driving lessons)

I think it should be made clear that there is no such thing as a trials bike which you can commute with

By definition a trials has stupidly low gears, a commuter doesn't

therefore its a oxymoronic statement...

As said above, choose! if you want to do trials, do trials and then if you dont like it, sell it on. Simple as :)

I think it should be made clear that there is no such thing as a trials bike which you can commute with

By definition a trials has stupidly low gears, a commuter doesn't

therefore its a oxymoronic statement...

As said above, choose! if you want to do trials, do trials and then if you dont like it, sell it on. Simple as :)

WRONG! Have you ever heard of running working gears? It's still not going to be that practical with a low/no seat and it won't gear as high as a roadie for obvious reasons but hey...

WRONG! Have you ever heard of running working gears? It's still not going to be that practical with a low/no seat and it won't gear as high as a roadie for obvious reasons but hey...

As trolley-dude pointed out though, you can get a cheap bike for £70 that will be ten times better for commuting than a trials bike. £70 is like half a set of 'burns or a Dura Ace mech or something. Peanuts really. So for all intents and purposes, there is no point in buying a trials bike to ride to work on. It's stupid, gears or no gears (22-11 isn't particularly fast anyway).

Hey dude!

Had the same problem, but the idea was to have a freeride bike on which I can do trials when nescesary. The bigest problem was rear suspension and weight, but I managed to build what I wanted.

What you need is a light bike. Rigid, lightweight frame, probably arround 11 inches (saw a cool Orange trials frame on ebay a few days ago). I'd go for a front shock - a Marzocchi Bomber Z1/Z3, 00' model or older (bushings dont wear out on bomber shocks, and the old ones are floppy enough not to break like the new ones). Lightweight wheels, fat tyre on the rear and a fairly slick one up front. Trials bars, short stem and a 32T crank. Run a Maggy on the rear. Make sure that the frame is fairly long, and bobs your uncle.

This is my "will-do-anything-on-it" bike, rear travel up to 160mm. Weighs 14.8kg.

Duncon Akita

This is my "will-do-anything-on-it" bike, rear travel up to 160mm. Weighs 14.8kg.

Duncon Akita

You eitherk a_ have to much money

B) - are f**king stupid

or C0- don't hae clue about atrials ridingk

that'll ge fcuking buoolcoks gofr ridnging rttrrials on

average FR bike though ^_^ not beteryth ana mine though :closedeyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Building a 26" multi-purpose bike is possible - I've had two in my time; but it WILL take you longer to learn stuff and you will end up eventually converting it back to either 100% trials or 100% jump/whatever. But then if you get *seriously* into it, you'll outgrow it and buy something better anyway.

Best option is get a cheap mod, learn on it and try and keep it in good condition. Flog it if you decide you don't wanna do trials. T-Vee's and the like cost sod all these days compared to building up a multi-purpose job.

And yeah, it's a pain getting to places in a spinny gear, but you get used to it pretty quick as long as you have a seat to sit on and aren't riding on the flat all the time. I used to ride 6 miles or so into Solihull to ride on my X-Lite back in the day. It was a long way in that gear, but I got used to it.

Of course the other thing is that riding in a spinny gear makes you more tempted to ride on walls/benches/whatever on the way to where you should be meeting your mates for a ride...making you even later than you said you would be...:D

Yeah - do what Jez says. You'll be able to get a complete mod for under £200 off somebody on here easy..

As soon as you get half good, a half arsed trials bike will hold you back and you'll probably just end up going out and buying a whole new one.

I'd offer to sell you my da bomb if this post was in the FS/W thread - it's not, so obviously I can't.

(am I allowed to suggest you pm me about it though ? - better not, just to be safe like :shifty: )