Need Urgent Help! (Web Hosting Advice)

Dr Greenthumb

Hey all

Basically I am launching my business online as a website, my site is needing to go onto the net at some point soon but I don't have a clue about web hosting. would this site? http://www.sniffhost.net/?page=business be good for what i want?

Please help me, i don't even have a clue how too se webspace or anything :ermm:

Dan

The starter pack would probably be enough to be honest... the things you need to worry about are web space and bandwidth.

With the starter pack you get 2gb webspace. Now thats a lot of space, TF takes up less space than that, so that should be fine. If you upload a 5mp mp3, you will still have 1995mb space left.. you get the idea.

Then you have bandwdith, which means how many mb/gb worth of files you will expect to 'serve' while the site is up. So say you had a 5mb mp3 on there, and 100 people downloaded it, that would use up 500mb of bandwidth. Assuming you were allowed to use 10gb bandwith (like on the starter pack on sniffhost) you would still have 9500mb left. Another 100 people download it (another 500mb bandwidth used) and you will have 9000mb bandwidth left.. The limit is reset every month.

So unless you are planning on hosting anything apart from pages and images Id say the starter plan is fine.

While we're on the subject: Where can I get some webspace from for just storing the odd file, hosting pictures and maybe a video or something if I want to send it to someone. Nothing hardcore at all, just a little hole on the internet. Would that be possible (I'm presuming it would be), and if so how much would that cost?

While we're on the subject: Where can I get some webspace from for just storing the odd file, hosting pictures and maybe a video or something if I want to send it to someone. Nothing hardcore at all, just a little hole on the internet. Would that be possible (I'm presuming it would be), and if so how much would that cost?

Sniffhost? Anywhere really.

Would this be any good? Linky

I'm not really sure about all this hosting milarky.

See above..

Sniffhost? Anywhere really.

See above..

With sniffhost I upload my image file then i open it thats all fine ect but when i click right mouse propties all the image loacations are the same so i can't change them in dreamweaver if u get me?

Anyidears ?

:(

Sam

Errr not really to be honest... expand a little but take your time..

Lol okey well.

I have an account with this sniffhost I login and go on file manager, I can upload and view images fine but my problem come arround now.

As you can see in the pic below of the elemement propties of bouth the images the same (on the location bit) soo when i get on dreamweaver and try and change the "scr" box for the image location I can only use one and it only displays one if i try and put bouth in ....

Dunno if that made it any clearer :( ?

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by samthebiker

Lol okey well.

I have an account with this sniffhost I login and go on file manager, I can upload and view images fine but my problem come arround now.

As you can see in the pic below of the elemement propties of bouth the images the same (on the location bit) soo when i get on dreamweaver and try and change the "scr" box for the image location I can only use one and it only displays one if i try and put bouth in ....

IPB Image

IPB Image

If your uploading the html file into the same location as the images, you need to delete the ges/ bit from the src bit in dreamweaver.. so it just reads "Play Half Red.JPG"

sorry to be asking a question in your thread but it's related n better than making a new topic, well, what exactly is disk space. The hosting i am looking at has 20MB disk space and 1 Gig Bandwidth, i a complete internet spud so i don't really know the terms-at all. So it is like what you said at the start Tom? or whoever said it. Nice one.(It's a photography website so obviously will have loads of fairly large size photos, will this deal be sufficient?)

Edited by minitrialer

sorry to be asking a question in your thread but it's related n better than making a new topic, well, what exactly is disk space. The hosting i am looking at has 20MB disk space and 1 Gig Bandwidth, i a complete internet spud so i don't really know the terms-at all. So it is like what you said at the start Tom? or whoever said it. Nice one.(It's a photography website so obviously will have loads of fairly large size photos, will this deal be sufficient?)

Er, 20mb? As in, 20mb. It's not really hard to understand to be honest. It's how much disk space you are allowed. 20mb is like 4 or 5 "fairly large" photo's. That's without a site or anything else.

hey posting on behalf of samthebiker.

That hasn't worked tom, any other suggestions? :S

cheers

If you did exactly what I said, uploaded the html page into the same directory as the images, and then viewed the page through a browser it will work.... alternativly get someone who knows HTML to build your site, always a good starting point...

Lol okey well.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Good ol' notepad (Y):nerd:

Also: I cant understand what your problem is sam :ermm:

Jason

Edited by Jason

If you did exactly what I said, uploaded the html page into the same directory as the images, and then viewed the page through a browser it will work.... alternativly get someone who knows HTML to build your site, always a good starting point...

Good ol' notepad (Y):nerd:

I hope that wasn't a proper suggestion.

100% website construction in Notepad suckkkksss!

Yeah get somone who knows about html etc to do it.

I said before, but you can view my work at frontalmedia.co.uk

Textpad then :P

Sounds geeky but its by far the best way... actually know what you're doing. Geocities Site Builder -> Front Page -> Dreamweaver -> Notepad.. ;)

Haha hmph!

I think notepad or whatever's okay but I still prefer dreamweaver 8. It highlights any coding errors which you could make etc.

Links pages together much quicker, finds text ,if you're using split, really quick. I like it lots :)

But yeah. Lots of professional web designers use notepad. Then again lots use Dreamweaver, and as you can guess. Like 0.0001% use Frontpage I'm guessin'?

Learn how to do stuff through tutorials and asking people. Danny from here, and Simon etc have really taught and motivated me into website design and construction and I can build sites which are pretty nice, fairly fast which makes me smile.

Even though I am up until 4pm talkin to Dan :(

Why's Danny in Dublin anyway? :P