Tips On Riding

new_to_trials

Hey,

I just got my new T-bird and i used to do 4x and downhill i can pedal kick and side hope for just if any one could give me tips one get up stuff and getting higher and how i should practice to get better.Really could you tell me how you started riding what thing did you start on to help you inprove your riding.All help will be great thanks

sam :D

I started with my local club

Pallets my friend are fan-tastic-elastic because they're strong to take the weight of a rider impact, but soft material enough to not scratch your lovely paintjob if you mess up.

As for getting up stuff, just find something you can do, then go higher. When you find yourself struggling with the next stage, go back down, and get the technique dialled again, otherwise youll be teaching yourself how not to do it

Ride as much as possible, even its its just half and hour on the curb outside your house it all helps - i still ride them and think of new ways ride them. Recently i have just been pissing about with back wheel balance and seeing how long i can balance on the back wheel without hopping and it has been really helping, just making my riding more controlled and confient :) - but yeah just ride!

maybe buy 'tricks and stunts' and/or 'mastering the art of trials' on dvd both a good instructional vids :)

You'll just develop your own way of doing stuff, which will basically be "Your style".

For upping, just remember to learn doing half-pedal stuff, not quarter-pedal. By that, I mean rolling towards the object with your BAD foot forwards, with the cranks about level. Then, just use the first quarter stroke you do to lift the front, and the last quarter stroke (that brings the cranks back round) to surge the bike up. But yeah, just learn to do little half-pedal kicks to lift the front onto stuff, then go from there :)

You'll just develop your own way of doing stuff, which will basically be "Your style".

For upping, just remember to learn doing half-pedal stuff, not quarter-pedal. By that, I mean rolling towards the object with your BAD foot forwards, with the cranks about level. Then, just use the first quarter stroke you do to lift the front, and the last quarter stroke (that brings the cranks back round) to surge the bike up. But yeah, just learn to do little half-pedal kicks to lift the front onto stuff, then go from there :)

Thanks that help me out a lot.

sam

Thanks that help me out a lot.

sam

The other advantage of pallets is that you can build them up. Start with one, when you can nail all the moves on that, add another one...then another...eventually you'll be getting up to decent heights. Same goes for gaps, you can move pallets around to make the gaps bigger and smaller. There isn't much that you can't do with 'em :) Also if you can get hold of some ratchet straps to hold 'em together that helps. And yeah, nail one height perfectly before moving on - muscle memory doesn't care if what it's doing is right or wrong, it'll remember the moves either way, so if you move up to a higher height too quickly and keep failing to get up the stuff, you're just teaching your body how to fail.

I'm doing exactly that at the moment, working up the pallets to try and get back to the state that I used to be in, nailing each height to the wall before I move onwards and upwards :) (Currently arguing with 4 pallets and annoyed that I'm so far behind where I used to be...)

yep, pallets are great :)

i think the best way to get better is to ride with others - have somebody a bit better than you, and a very good rider. that should help you a lot (Y)

also, having ridden in dh and 4x, you should have a good idea about controlling the bike. im sure you'll learn very quickly

Only downside of pallets is just that it's hard to do stuff incrementally. Like if you can sidehop 6 blue pallets (6 x 6.5" = 39"), it's a pretty big step-up to the next size, just 'cos you're adding another half a foot to it, which is pretty big in trials terms. I guess you can shim pallets to raise and lower them by an inch, but I've had well bad experiences with that :P

EDIT: Oh yeah, got this vid I made for someone else before, but it shows the whole half-pedal timing thing pretty well. Obviously I don't mean "Go out and find a 4ft wall", but just to get an idea of the timing and pedalstroke and stuff like that:

http://www.eengoedidee.nl/videoz/bike-tria..._backwheels.wmv