Technique : Approaches

Greetings

Yesterday, I was trying to do a really sketchy backwheel which involved an uphill runup, landing on top of a mossy rock. The first few times I tried it, it f**ked me up 'cos I was effectively having to do a 2-full-stroke backwheel, 'cos I had to keep pedalling, and then flow smoothly into the actual launch, if you see what I mean? I usually do half-pedal backwheels, but I have to do 2-stroke instead. Awkward :P But yeah, basically, it just messed up my timing 'cos I couldn't work out in my head how to get the power down. In the end, I had to just do a stamp on the pedals to get it moving, then re-cock them and do the half-pedal launch. Either way, it really can mess you up.

Anyway, if you're able to do is 3 or 4 times out of 10, at least you've got the technique so it's probably more just a case of practise. Is 35" towards the upper limit of what you're doing now? If so, that'd probably explain a lot of it :)

Is 35" towards the upper limit of what you're doing now? If so, that'd probably explain a lot of it :)

Yeah it is, i was trying to teach him front taps last time we went riding and he nearly got the hang of them so he should be going higher soon.

When you do mate you'll go back to this and it'll seem so much easier.

Yeah it is, i was trying to teach him front taps last time we went riding and he nearly got the hang of them so he should be going higher soon.

On a similar note, is it only me that does like 3/4 crank turns when approaching stuff to backwheel? It always seems less awkward for me to approach the wall with my left foot down (i.e. cranks not level - I ride left foot forward, but I'm right-footed), then use the 3/4 of a crank turn it takes to get level again to supply the power (thus ending up cranks level, left foot forward). It always feels way to awkward to me to ride at something with my bad foot forward - maybe it's just habit. Or maybe it's because' I do the left-forward-but-right-footed thing - I can get more power out of a kick with my right foot...

Either way is that what I'm getting at is that you'll need less run up space to do it with a 3/4 turn than a full turn.

Just a thought. Maybe it'll feel too awkward to you to do it my way...

Cool, I was gonna say if it's towards the upper limits of your ability it'd be more likely you're gonna fail more than you make it, 'til you get it more nailed/go bigger, really. It's just learning :)

On a similar note, is it only me that does like 3/4 crank turns when approaching stuff to backwheel? It always seems less awkward for me to approach the wall with my left foot down (i.e. cranks not level - I ride left foot forward, but I'm right-footed), then use the 3/4 of a crank turn it takes to get level again to supply the power (thus ending up cranks level, left foot forward). It always feels way to awkward to me to ride at something with my bad foot forward - maybe it's just habit. Or maybe it's because' I do the left-forward-but-right-footed thing - I can get more power out of a kick with my right foot...

Either way is that what I'm getting at is that you'll need less run up space to do it with a 3/4 turn than a full turn.

Just a thought. Maybe it'll feel too awkward to you to do it my way...

Do you mean like this Jez? Sorry for the pics, but Dominate doesn't seem to actually want me to upload vids on there at all...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

But yeah, using that sorta technique? If so, yeah, works for me too, even though I keep getting told I should do a full pedal-stroke into them...

Exactly what I meant Mark. I always thought that adding the extra quarter stroke in was just lengthening my run-up, and the real power only comes from that leading-foot-down point onwards anyway...so what's the point in doing a full pedalstroke?