I Have A New Single Speed Set Up

Krisboats

I've decided that seeing as i don't use my gears anymore i would try out single speed for a while. I bought a new surly 18tooth rear cog and a fresh products tensioner, but the chain length is too long for the tensioner to tension either up or down. Now i know what you're thinking, take a link out, but i have. And it was too short to even fit round both my chainring and the rear sprocket without beeing way too tight, it was so tight i thought it would damage my freehub.

I know that putting a half link in is going to still be pointless because it will be too slack for the chain to stay on properly. Plus i would like a big fat half link chain if i was going to go with that option like one of the new bmx chains that are around £23.

Now what i would like to know is if there is anything i might be stupidly overlooking or if there are any simple solutions that won't cost a load more money.

My chain is a sram pc58 (around 3-4 months old) and my frame is a base TA26, with a truvativ 22 tooth chainring. Will replacing the chain with a kmc kool chain help the situation at all?

Exactly. Although the SRAM might have stretched. I can't believe that the fresh products tensioner doesn't have enough movement to take in the slack though, that's really shoddy. Either that or you're doing it wrong ;)

Can you stick the jockey wheel axle thing though any of the other holes, or are they the wrong size?

Right, buying a kmc chain didn't help in the slightest. I haven't tried putting the jockey wheel axle into a different hole but i guess it won't hurt to try it.

And i bought a fresh products tensioner after seeing so many sprung tensioners just break or be practically useless. Plus its a lot simpler than anything with springs and moving parts.

okay its sorted now, i splashed out on a shadow conspiracy half link chain and only used one of the links in my kmc kool k710 chain, it's done the job completely and if anything the half link looks stronger than any of the kmc links.

I'm well chuffed now the fresh products tensioner is on and sorted and feels much more solid than a sprung tensioner, the chain line feels immensely rigid when i'm gapping and hopping about.