Welded Acs

nafan

My mate is after a welded lockring freewheel and he was wondering if the welded ACS on tartybikes has just a welded lockring or whether the actual pawls are welded...

Basically is it a normal acs but welded tight?

He couldn't get through to the guys at tartybikes earlier, so I thought I'd ask you guys (Y)

Cheers in advance,

Nathan :)

My mate is after a welded lockring freewheel and he was wondering if the welded ACS on tartybikes has just a welded lockring or whether the actual pawls are welded...

Basically is it a normal acs but welded tight?

He couldn't get through to the guys at tartybikes earlier, so I thought I'd ask you guys (Y)

Cheers in advance,

Nathan :)

Just the lockring is welded on.. Stops it coming loose while riding (Y) Downside it stops you getting into the internals...

Craig....!

Looking at the one from selectbikes now so we can order it online, how do you actually put on the freewheel as it says on selectbikes that it is ground down :S Confusing...

Nathan (Y)

Yes the Pawls on the side where the tool goes to take it off is ground away!

So the only way to get her off it to somehow get inside the freewheel its self, Dismantel it, and get the two flat spots in a vice and swing onit!!

Or just get and angle grinder and cut just over 3/4 of the way through and hit it with and hamer and a chizel (Y)

The freewheels are good though... Last a good while when welded and dont need alot of maintence! Just spray some GT45 inside every few months (Y)

Craig....!

Not too true, mine hasnt skipped once since i welded it back in april....

Did you clean it out etc before you welded it though ?

As after you cleaned it out you problie but in some thin line lube not the thicker stuff they put in which would help.

Don't buy a welded one just buy a normal ACS and locktite the lock ring never did me or the people i ride with any harm and the people i know who have it locktited ive not heard it skip for a long while.

Sam

Edited by Swize

Did you clean it out etc before you welded it though ?

Yeah but i put in some UBER thick molly grease back in, and half the bearings on one side :P

Was just going round to my GF's house before, and its soudning a little bit gritty, so maybe sounds like im needing a new FF lol

Or maybe just drop some lube in the slit lol

How do you open a freewheel *loves fidling with mechanical fun bits* (i have issues with tinkering, and get the feeling i will be quoted and put in a signature >_< )

Yup, same :P

Just get a old one you don't care about and play with it, take off the lockring off and get some news paper lift up the base and let all the bearings and pawls fall out (theres two layers top and bottom) then clean it and play around with how to put it back together from absolute scratch then you will know the insides and outsides of a ACS claw ;) .

But basically put back in the bottom layer of bearings then the base with the teeth on it, then the springs, then the pawls, then the top layer then the lockring and you are done.

Yeah but i put in some UBER thick molly grease back in, Was just going round to my GF's house before, and shes sounding a little bit gritty, Or maybe just drop some lube in her slit lol

You just made me have to modify that post a little bit, it was perfect, you don't mix ''drop some lube in the slit'' and ''goin round my GF's house'' in the same sentence ;):P (No nastyness intended)

Just spray some GT45 inside every few months (Y)

jesus holy mother of f**king god noooooo!!!

this is why bike mechanics hate people who think they know what they're doing but actually dont!

do not ever put gt85 in your acs claw, gt85 will displace the grease and leave behind a tiny amount if teflon, fine if thats what you want but its not the way to look after your claw. the grease is in there for a reason so leave it in there!!!