Car Audio Help!

Richie

Right Lads, ladies.

Just finished my boot build all built just needs to be coverd with leather, anway i'm wanting a 12" sub and a amp and 2 6x9's with a seperate amp to power them, but i'm not too sure how i go about using two amps i have 1 white and 1 red cable out of my headunit so how do i plug two into there if you get me or is there another way?

Thanks Alot.

Richie.

Right Lads, ladies.

Just finished my boot build all built just needs to be coverd with leather, anway i'm wanting a 12" sub and a amp and 2 6x9's with a seperate amp to power them, but i'm not too sure how i go about using two amps i have 1 white and 1 red cable out of my headunit so how do i plug two into there if you get me or is there another way?

Thanks Alot.

Richie.

what you have is left and right (Stereo) but only 1 channel, now i would imagine u should either have 2 sets in wire for or 1 set in a jack form

u should either get a graphic equaliser (sp) and split the audio into seperate Hz and send the high freuencys to one amp and low to another OR get one amp with a bypass and send one set of frequency's to the amp its using and the rest to another

the cheapest is the set up without the eaquiliser, it is easy and quick and best bet is to get a 4 channel amp which does the lot, it has left and right in a range of frequencys and u can send low to anything u want and high to anything u want, so low to a subm high to a set of 6*9's

i had an american legacy cheap thing which ran a sub and 6*9's, very cost effective

let us no if u need more help

As you only have 1 set of outputs from the HU, you will need to split them. this can be done a number of ways.

1) put cables into one amp wiht an input and an output, and use another cable to go from the outputs from that amp to the inputs of the next. go in the 6x9 amp first, then out to the sub amp.

2) split the cables with splitters, and run straight into the two amps.

3) get very high tech and expensive with an equaliser- not worth it if you HU only has one output! you will not make full use of it.

set the amps up so the sub amp is on a low pass filter, if adjustable set it to your liking- experiment. set the 6x9 amp to either full pass, or highpass.

Agreed (Y)

Running a sub as well as 6*9's :S

Nice front speakers + Sub = :)

Im also a bit confused, you have just finished a boot install but you havent got the sub or amps sorted yet?

Lol, Shhhhhh I'll post pics in a few weeks once its all trimmed and everythings in

Nice White leather on order :D

yea but you would need the dimensions of your sub to make the build just because they are 12inch they arent all the same, have u made a hole for the amp to be bolted in cos ud need the amp before building it surely unless its bolted on the ack of it or somat. i agree with tic, front speakers and sub all the way (Y)

And also, each sub or speaker to be fair requires a different enclosure dependant on its output and frequency range

i had a program that u input all the details and gives u an Exact measurements to make the perfect box for it, including how long the port's should be

i agree with tic, front speakers and sub all the way (Y)

Sorry couldnt quote in an edit

i dont like the sound of that, i heard mongs in his car it was nice but u miss a lot of mid range with that

u do get crystal clear sound and big bass but for heavy guitar sequences u miss the feel

go for some 8'' subs aswell Or some Vibe QB69's, they r the shizzle

IPB Image

And also, each sub or speaker to be fair requires a different enclosure dependant on its output and frequency range

i dont like the sound of that, i heard mongs in his car it was nice but u miss a lot of mid range with that

u do get crystal clear sound and big bass but for heavy guitar sequences u miss the feel

Having 6*9's on a parcel shelf and a sub in the boot doesnt really make having seperate enclosures for each type of speaker very easy. Unless you spend time sorting out the different enclosures you would have the sub moving the air in the boot and the 6*9's trying to move the same air.

I dont see how you can "miss a lot of midrange" by running just a sub and pair of front speakers. You have the sub in the boot to deal with the low frequency, the mids for mid and tweaters for the high in the front of the car. Bass is non directional anyway so it doesnt matter where the sub is really.

Admittedly one of the easiest places to mount speakers in a car is on the parcel shelf, this is really the only location in a car that allows reasonable stereo sound with the speakers being a more equal distance from both the passenger and the driver. Having the speakers in the back of the car make the image/soundstage unnaturally behind the listener, where are the band when you go to a gig?, where is the sound coming from when you watch TV? etc...

Having the speakers in the back also messes up any sort of stereo effect for the rear passengers as they would most probably have a speaker directly behind their head.

I know it is personal preference really but thats my opinion (Y)

I may be really dense here, but why dont you get a 4-6 channel amp?

The Kicker amp I have in my car is able to run my 12" Sub, my 2 rear 6x9s and my 2 front 13s.

All that in a mini :S
then its either wired up HORRIBLY wrong, or its a 5/6 channel amp
You use 2 channels for the 13's, 2 channels for the 6*9's and bridge two channels to the sub. So yeah it would theoretically become a 5 channel amp, I think andy was meaning why not get either a 4 or 6 channel amp, stop trying to be awkward Nick :P

Even with a single multichannel amp, you will probably need multiple feeds into it, so you will need to split the wires.

My kenwood 4chan amp has 2 sets of inputs, and one set of outputs. Works great in the van as the HU has 3 sets of outputs, so the balance/fader/equalisation(limited) can all be changed at the HU - its a good quality pioneer.

i had a program that u input all the details and gives u an Exact measurements to make the perfect box for it, including how long the port's should be

Sorry couldnt quote in an edit

IPB Image

Hehe just got a pair of them, could you reccomend a decent amp to pair them up to? was thinking like 1kw as theyre 200 w each and i'll be running a medium sized sub eventually too.

Cheers Caleb

what channel would my hu need to be to supply them or would it not matter as i'll be running the speakers off the ap and amp into hu ?

Edit: Also for my front door speakers should i run the standard 6.5" dia sized ones or can you get/make a template for a better sized speaker etc? like a mate told me?

Edited by Caleb

By the sounds of it there are some rather horrible sounding installs goig on here! Especially the mini :sick:

My fiesta has stadard 13cm front comps, and to use after market you need adapters, which ive doe. So 13cm comps are the biggest you can go with without dremmel-ing the doors. Ie. not the best for mid bass. But ive got a good set of speakers so makes the best of a bad situation. Thats the reason my system is a little weak in the mid regions. But to be honest, thats where most peoples systems fall down.

If you want the best possible sounding system, imo, it has to be 3 way comps up front, all running active and a nice 12in sub tuned for tightness. The tweeters getting 50wrms and the mids getting about 75wrms up front and 200/300w sub is more than enough unless you are competing at something.

My mate has a mx5, and these have 8in!!!!! standard comps. Ultimate mid bass!

Edited by JTM

How about this package will that just plug into the red and white input?

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/p...ts_id/1320.html

No.

Are you on about the right and left outputs on the back of the head unit?

The package you linked to would really need a minimum of two preouts on the headunit. You could run one phono lead to the amp for the sub and then split a second phono lead to the channels for the front speakers and 6*9's.

However to get full use of the front and rear fade between the door speakers and the 6*9's you would want three preouts on the headunit and also need three phono leads running to the amp inputs.

I think you need to do some serious research into car audio, it doesnt sound like you understand what what you need or even what you are trying to achieve.

Tic is right.

It is possible ot use that linked setup on your HU, but it will be hard to setup, and you wont be able to adjust the bass level, or the fader at the HU, it will all have to be done at the amp.

If you don't understand basic electrics/electronics theres a ggod chance you could wire something in wrongly, and that will damage your equipment, or possibly even start a fire!

really, stick with a simple set up, and get a better HU before you go for any major stuff.