Gear Problems

DaiTrials

Ok, I have the new hope pro trials 2 hub on the rear and was wondering if anyone has had any gear problems, It is 6 speed, but the spacers between my cogs are 8 spd spacers. so i have an 8 spd shifter and an 8 speed mech, 8spd spacers, shouldnt it all work? but it dosnt, I really want gears cos i ride street. has anyone found a good stup for this hub yet? or can anyone tell me whats wrng with my setup? Dai

you'll have to unscrew the three little screws/file off the three little pins on the back of your cassette which will allow you to take it into pieces. choose which 4 gears out of that 6 you want to keep, slot the cogs on with one of the spacers in between each and finish off with the two loose cogs that were there before, tighten up the lockring good and tight and you're done! :)

you'll have to unscrew the three little screws/file off the three little pins on the back of your cassette which will allow you to take it into pieces. choose which 4 gears out of that 6 you want to keep, slot the cogs on with one of the spacers in between each and finish off with the two loose cogs that were there before, tighten up the lockring good and tight and you're done! :)

Ive already done that bit, lol. thats what im asking? i have made it into 6 speed with 8 speed spacing, but it dossnt work. anyone?

have you reset the limit screws on your mech properly, with no cable or chain installed, and then correctly adjusted your shifter?

you will DEFINATELY need to limit the movement of the mech, and only 6 of the positions on your shifter will be useable.

basically, pull on cable while up shifting to slacken cable fully, make sure shifter is in 8th gear (smallest cog).

now undo the cable from the mech, and use the H screw to centre the jockey wheel over the lowest cog.

Now with your hands (easiest done by removing chain, but can be done with chain on) move the mech over to the 6th cog, and adjust the L screw until you can no longer push it past the last cog.

Now reinstall chain and cable, lightly tensioning cable with shifter still in 8th.

all gears should now be just abotu perfect, and just need a test ride and tweak.

I would probably say that you haven't set you gears up properly. Check your mech hanger is straight, this may cause your gears to mess up. Set you high and low limit screws so that the mech doesn't shift past the ends of your cassette (it would piss you right off if you accidentally changed gears and got it stuck in your spokes)

Set it into first gear and shift up to second gear, adjust the barrel adjuster till it shifts into place. Change it back to first and make sure it shifts nicely. Do the same for the second gear, adjusting it as you change into third. And the same for the third.

Then it should all be working, if it isn't check your cable, something may have gone wrong there or it may just need replacing. If thats fine check your shifter unit to see if thats alright, then check your actual mech to see if its bent or if the springs are broken.

I would probably say that you haven't set you gears up properly. Check your mech hanger is straight, this may cause your gears to mess up. Set you high and low limit screws so that the mech doesn't shift past the ends of your cassette (it would piss you right off if you accidentally changed gears and got it stuck in your spokes)

Set it into first gear and shift up to second gear, adjust the barrel adjuster till it shifts into place. Change it back to first and make sure it shifts nicely. Do the same for the second gear, adjusting it as you change into third. And the same for the third.

Then it should all be working, if it isn't check your cable, something may have gone wrong there or it may just need replacing. If thats fine check your shifter unit to see if thats alright, then check your actual mech to see if its bent or if the springs are broken.

ok, this is going the wrong way. I work in a bike shop, the 6 gears are on, the ajustment screws are perfect, i got it shifting on 6 cogs. how can i put this ...... everythings in line, and it is set up perfect, in a bike stand theay all change PERFECTLY, i know what im doing ....... but ......

when i ride it they are changing really poorly, i think either the 8 spd kmc chains a bit thick, or there isnt a good line with my front cog, I was more intrested to hear if anyones had a similar problem or if anyones got a real good setup on the new hope hub, no affence, but if i cant get it to run in person, no advise in words on here is going to help, i know how it all works thanks, have done for about 10 years :P

Well thats what happens if you don't fully explain things in your first post.

So they do shift but not very smoothly? But i'm guessing once they're in their place there are no problems with it randomly shifting? If thats true i would have a guess at saying its because the kmc kool 9 speed chain isn't really designed for optimum shifting, more for being strong and fitting on a cassette should you run one. Mine used to do this on my normal hub... but it wasn't really important because you don't really change gears a lot in trials.

Just noticed this

I really want gears cos i ride street

Single speed is the way to go for street, gears are for comps. If you can't get them sorted i would recommend sticking having a go at single speed just as a testing period, i'm pretty sure you will prefer it!

as said above, look at all the basics.

mech hanger straight?

mech have excessive play?

cassette worn?

chain worn?

jocky wheels worn?

chain clean/lubed and not twisted/free of stiff links?

cassette clean?

no kinks in inner cable?

no worn/damaged sections of outer cable?

shifter not broken?

and finally are the gears set up properly? have you re-adjusted the limit screws for the smaller range of gears and have the gears been tuned properly with proper cable tension etc.

i run an 8 speed cassette with two cogs removed and three spacers in the back to space it out on a king rear hub and i have no probs whatsoever, i usually find that poor shifting is down to dirt in the cables, best thing to do is to flush out all outer cables with gt-85 and fit a new inner cable, makes loads of difference :)

If its not skipping like a fairy, there's no problem. KMC chains do shift very slowly, theyre too wide and inflexible to whip up and down like a normal chain.

All the stuff is brand new, and set up profesionally, i am a bike mechanic by trade. it seems more like its not compatible, but it should be :S its like the shifter isnt pulling the right amount of cable through. the mech dosent move the amount it should, but everything is 8spd, so why not?

its because the mech swings in an arch, so the shiffter is now not matched, try a 6 speed mech

:- other than that i dunno, oil the cables

won't be the shifter, i run a modified 8 speed cassette with only 6 cogs and i use an 8 speed xt shifter and it works fine. hows to chain line on the bike? your bb length could be too short and the chain line could be a bit off? the only other thing i can think of that it could be man!

won't be the shifter, i run a modified 8 speed cassette with only 6 cogs and i use an 8 speed xt shifter and it works fine. hows to chain line on the bike? your bb length could be too short and the chain line could be a bit off? the only other thing i can think of that it could be man!

I think you got it in one there mate, i have a 115 length bb!

I had thought of this myself already, but am really cuious about it?

One of the longest BB's ive seen is the echo at 130mm, so we get an extra 15mm, thats 7.5 on each side!

Is 7.5mm really gonna make a diffrence on my gear changing?? :S

If someone can convince me that it will then great, but im not gonna splash out around £80+ to match my nice Ti BB unless i can be sure it will get rid of my gear problem :)

at the moment shift down into 3rd gear, look at the bike from behind and you should have a straight line with the chain, if not, then measure how far over to the right the chainring needs to go to make it straight. that measurement should help you figure out how much longer your bb needs to be. probably either 122.5 or 128. the bb you have at the moment will either be 113 or 118 as you don't get 115 ;)