Boosters

mad_gavo

Ive had my adamant A1 frame for a good few months now and the only gripe is the rear brake feels really spongy and horible. The frame has a built in booster but i was wondering if it was still flexing and this was what was making it feel so pooh :ermm: Seems a shame though as its a really nice working brake but it has no feel so i dont trust it :closedeyes:

The setup I am using is

04 maggie normal fluid

alex DX31

Heatsink blues

If its nothing to do with a booster what else can i do to remove spongyness?

Cheers Gavin :)

just pull the brake in really hard release do it again and again and if you frame is flexing you will just be able to see it moving in and out. My Echo Control has a built in CNC booster but i run a booster - a new crossover is £10 for me and got a booster for £5 so value for money especially for crank flipping.

If its not your frame just going to be time for a re bleed

Guys, it's not always the frame flexing that causes problems - it's the bolts (if you're a 4-bolt boy) or the bosses (if you're a two bolt boy). These will either a) flex or B) twist the seatstays, AS WELL as the sideways seatstay flex (which is the only thing your built in booster will eliminate). I'd always run a rear booster regardless of frame design until someone makes a bike with 4 seatstays that you mount your brakes in between (hah, yeah right!).

Seriously though, check everything else first. Only get a booster if you can SEE the flex happening. If you can't, it's a problem with the brake itself rather than frame flex/twist.

Checked all the alignment and that seems ok. it maybe a problem with the maggie as you have to run it with the tpa basically all the way on. Otherwise the lever has an area of pull where it just wobbles and doesn't move the pistons. this happens no matter how good you try to bleed it.

i need to order some new pads so i may order a heatsink booster when i order some more pads. Just don't know whether to get blues again or splash out on some of the coust ones. are they worth the extra cash and what are the main differences? any one got any experience of them?

cheers Gavin :)

It's been some time since I had a maggy, so I may be talking bollocks, but it sounds like you need more actual fluid in the system if you have play at the lever. That's the maggy equivalent of pulling more cable through the bolt on the canti on a V-brake (which is what you'd do if you had play at the lever on a V).

Like I said, I may be talking utter shite, but that's what it sounds like from here.

It's been some time since I had a maggy, so I may be talking bollocks, but it sounds like you need more actual fluid in the system if you have play at the lever. That's the maggy equivalent of pulling more cable through the bolt on the canti on a V-brake (which is what you'd do if you had play at the lever on a V).

Like I said, I may be talking utter shite, but that's what it sounds like from here.

I can see where you are coming from cause that is what it feels like. But even if you do up one of the bleed bolts a little and try to force in a much fluid in as possible it makes no difference :rolleyes:

As for pads I think i may give the cousts a try as they may be more expensive then the blues but not much more compared to all of the other pads out :)

Think il go for a heatsink booster though as i like the look of them and im sure that all four bolt boosters will do basically the same job ;)

Damon uses an echo 4 bolt booster http://82.110.105.16/tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?id=11

I can tell you now you will never feel a stiffer branke it's awsome ;)

last i heard damon had taken his fourbolt booster off, and his brake runs amazing. I was running a heatsink, tried an RB, tried a control booster and none of them allowed me to set the brake up properly on the adamant. so i have been riding boosterless since christmas really. and its great. superb :)

so :P

Might be the way forwards to borrow a booster and see what its like. Il get a fully working maggie first and go from there. :)

last i heard damon had taken his fourbolt booster off, and his brake runs amazing. I was running a heatsink, tried an RB, tried a control booster and none of them allowed me to set the brake up properly on the adamant. so i have been riding boosterless since christmas really. and its great. superb :)

so :P

Ah right it was on the christmas ride when i felt his brak, but it really did fell good (Y)

Personally, I'd get a booster anyway, regardless of wheather the frame has one or not.

From my experience, when the brakes are applied, even if the frame doesn't flex, the brake still can. Hard to explain, but the part of the brake furthest away from the frame can move outwards, like it's twisting outwards on the seatstay.

And Im sure that letting your frame do all the work of taking the pressure from the brake, surely, can't do any good.

Also a booster generally stiffens (hehe) up the brake, improving the brake by making power transfer more efficient, and also giving a firmer feel overall at the lever.

Hope this is clearer than mud and that I've helped, Alun