This A Good Setup For My New Trials Bike?

steve-o1986

Hi all, :)

I haven't ridden trials in 3 years roughly, i'm gunna buy the parts i need to build my bike again in a couple of weeks, so far i had in mind:

Adamant A2 frame

Front onza hog rime - side wall drilled

front hope xc disk hub

rear onza hog

rear hope xc hub

Avid bb7 front disk brake

a magura hs33 on the rear

try-all sticky tyres

and maybe a sun race short cage rear mech

i've got all the other components i need. all this comes to about 580-600 quid. what do you guys think?

cheers

B)

Steve

Sounds like a good set up. For somone who hasnt ridden in years you sure are taking advantage of all the newer parts not going for a old school set up.

The only thing i would change is the mech i would go for a Shimano sora rear mech instead, or if you plan on locking it get the dmr tension seeker and run it single speed.

What matters is what your used to, isn't the adamant a fairly long bike, with a bb rise?

If you havn't rode in years then that might not be something your familiar with, whats really important to how the bike rides is frame, fork, bar and stem. brakes , wheel's, hubs, all do the same and work basically the same way, differant bar and stem set up will determine the feel, as will the forks(wheelbase) and frame (bb rise, chainstay length etc)

cheers guys, i used to run a fairly heavy but strong ddg shooter with halo combats, i prefer longer wheel base frames, what frame(s) would you reconmend? i'm looking forward to going for a much lighter setup. I briefly looked and the saracen M.A.D frame which i liked the size and tested it out. felt good. the Adamant A2 frame i haven't ridden but from what iv heard and seen it seems like a frame i could get on with. looking forward to spending all my time riding again, its something i love with a passion. maybe i should just buy a pre-built bike? like a t pro or something then upgrade when i get better, just an idea.

i've never ridden a single speed trials bike before, what are the advantages and dissadvantages?

steve-o B)

Edited by steve-o1986

t rex is looking pretty nice, full bike build from super cycles

"New Onza T-Rex 2005 model, Armstrong crankset,New Magura HS33, Sora mech w/Gripshift, optional mini seat included" lol, maybe i should go for a pre - built one, then upgrade when needed. any one ridden a t rex? are they any good?

steve-o B)

Yep, mate has a t-rex. Not my thing personally but if you like long bikes and don't mind weight (Not overly heavy, but heavier than most) then go for it.

I would change some of the onza componentry if you buy a full build, i.e the hubs, more importantly the rear obviously, and the bottom bracket.

Other than that it would be a decent enough bike to use to get back into trials

you mean stay away from the onza rims? what other rims should i look at then? i like the weight loss on the front rim with the drilled side walls, but i'm not fussed about the back rim. i used to ride on halo combats, what about the SAS?

steve-o B)

Alex Dx32 for the rear (Y)

Ive got the spec 2 t-rex ive modded it up now so its got different parts but the frame is great. a long wheelbase but still manageble i can still do some spins and streety stuff. It just loves the back wheel so much feels so nice easy to controll. It takes a hell of a beating too ive put 1 dent in mine and that was from landing full pelt onto a metal bench.

I used to have the new saracen m.a.d which was also a quality bit of kit, altho the parts from the t-rex build are far better.

I say get the t-rex.

ok no for a start onza have some grate conpoments part from the half fat rims

but the ronnie rims are wicked and ive just recieved a hog rim for the rear this morning :P

if you are still undecided on a frame and like longer frames may i suggest the rex as its very nice and strong ive had mine just over a year and i love the look and feel of it

also the adamant is very nice on the back wheel but im still not sure with the bb rise i keep going on my mates a1 but i cant make my mind up if its better than my rex

or if you want to have bb rise but not alot i would suggest the coust frame (new one) is nice and has 20mm bb rise so in between the adamant and onza but i do believe it is the most expensive and i ive only found 1 shop thats sells the coust and that clean bikes i believe

hope this helps you mate nice to hear people are gettin back into trials :)

Cheers for the advice guys, i've been looking into the t rex and it seems like my favourite choice now, looks cool, can take a beating, i think i might go test ride one this weekend, just to see how the frame feels. The only part i'm indecisive about now is the hog rims, any suggestions?

cheers

Steve-o B)

There isnt anything wrong with the onza rims.

Im running a rear onza hog and its spot on. Had it built up on my old hope xc hub and i havent had to touch it with a spoke key yet (had it 5 months now).

Sounds like a nice setup, i did similar to you, got back into riding and bought a longer wheelbase to what i was used to ride riding. Its improved my riding alot