Apprenticeships

Joel

go get some A-levels joelio..... then go to uni!

i know lots of people are going to say you dont need A-levels to get on in life, and its true, you dont.

but if you go to uni and get a degree in something specific, which leads onto a set career, your made for life....

plus, uni IS without doubt, THE best thing you will EVER do..........

don't do an apprenticeship, i was going to, but very glad i didn't

trust college life is the best thing in the world, i love it so signing up for another year, just to waste time, but the girls, dam bo trust me....

go to college, get with as many girls as you can there, tis a hard life :-

Uni and college arent the best things you can do, from a profesional veiw.

Example.

I went from School to college, done 2 year City And Guild 3830 Motor vehicle mechanics, got an Appretiship with Ford, Now got Ford Masters Level 1 and NVQ level 3.

Also have a secure job, and the right qualifications and experience to go anywhere in the trade.

Friend, went to college same time, done 3 year B-tec national Diploma motor vehcile mechanics.

Extra year of B-tec. No real trade expreience, so cant get a job in the trade. Now he has been working at halfords for 3 years in bike hut, as he wasted too much time getting a good qualification that is useless.

No one would give him a Mechanics job because he had no experience, but had good grade.

So it goes to show, appretiships are good, as you will have all the right experience and qualifications to get a good job in that trade.

And before you say "he will get a job because of B-tec" He got so bored of trying and failing due to the same "no experience" reason, he has given up, and is still at halfords.

Just remember, you may go to Uni, get the best grades, but you arent garunteed a Job anywhere after.

Appretiships garuntee you a secure job at the end, aswell as a salary while you train, not the £12k + debt you get from Uni

Just remember, you may go to Uni, get the best grades, but you arent garunteed a Job anywhere after.

i didnt mean they were the best things from a professional point of veiw! but more from a personal aspect! i have matured SO much sinse comming to uni, i have been allowed to become my own person, and i feel a massive part of that is due to moving away from home.

i also said a specific type uni degree.....

if you do an english degree, there are no set jobs to go into, just a wide range you COULD do....

im doing a civil engineering degree, and unless i change my mind, i WILL be a civil engineer.....

also, if i choose to do a placement year in the 3rd year, i am almost garunteed a job when i graduate.... giving me much the same security as an apprenteship :)

Example.

I went from School to college, done 2 year City And Guild 3830 Motor vehicle mechanics, got an Appretiship with Ford, Now got Ford Masters Level 1 and NVQ level 3.

Also have a secure job, and the right qualifications and experience to go anywhere in the trade.

Friend, went to college same time, done 3 year B-tec national Diploma motor vehcile mechanics.

Extra year of B-tec. No real trade expreience, so cant get a job in the trade. Now he has been working at halfords for 3 years in bike hut, as he wasted too much time getting a good qualification that is useless.

No one would give him a Mechanics job because he had no experience, but had good grade.

So it goes to show, appretiships are good, as you will have all the right experience and qualifications to get a good job in that trade.

And before you say "he will get a job because of B-tec" He got so bored of trying and failing due to the same "no experience" reason, he has given up, and is still at halfords.

Appretiships garuntee you a secure job at the end, aswell as a salary while you train, not the £12k + debt you get from Uni

if your talking mechanic apprenticeships the theres a major differnce between like you were and i am to what your friend did.

im in my 3rd year at a ford main dealer and go to ford college every 2 months for a 2 week block.

i know people who do 4 days a week in a shitty back street garage and 1 day at college.

so form my point of view the apprenticeship i am on is so much better as i am gaining experience on ONE specific mfr as well as basic knowledge of everythign else.

1. Is it too late to apply for an apprenticeship? Think you have to get them in before september so either way too late or v early atm

2. Are they good?In which way? you will learn a hell of a lot and will proabbly make a few friends

3. Which one is better, Mechcanics or Constrution?What do you like? both of them would be pretty nasty in winter i imagine

4. Is the pay good? To start with no but the way i see it, you get £0-£30 at college and like £80 -£130 for first year apprentice ship's per week. and learn more on the job than at a college where the instructors havent worked in the trade for like 20 years.

Please answer these question if you do one.

Joel.

whoever said its too late is wrong, you can join whenever you like, but the closer to september the better, or you may miss a few College sessions, or have to wait until the new year enrols before you start going.

Bucky you are in the exact same situation as me, Ford dealer trained.

You with remit? arent they just the biggest pricks going..............I hate them

Example.

Its a case of being able to work out the volume of a jam jar but not knowing how to take the lid off.

Where you say which i better it depends what you like dont it...

Do you like mechanics?

As for construction which aspect? theres...

Bricklaying

Roofing

Carpentry

Joinery

electircal

Plumbing

ground work

Painting and decorating

Plastering

Glazing

The list continues!

Edited by wayneone

I did an apprenticeship in Telecommunications with BT, it all depends weather you are sure that you want to do that for the rest of your life. To be honest had a good time through my apprenticeship, and employers have said to me that the qualifications can be seen as the equivilant to a degree! but its all upto you, neither is worse or better.

As mentioned above, a large part will depend on whether you are sure you know what you want to do as a career in the future.

If you do an apprenticeship lasting several years, when you finish you'll only really be qualified to do whatever it is you trained for. If on the other hand you did a more general degree, there are a huge wealth of opportunities in many different career paths that will be open to you.

For example I graduate in the summer from a mechanical engineering degree, and I'm basically qualified to apply to a huge range of different careers. For example, I've now got an engineering/management position with Severn Trent, while other friends on similar courses are going for pure engineering jobs, and one guy even getting a place on a sales & marketing scheme.

If you're sure you know what you want as a career (and the fact that you've listed mechanic or construction, two wildly different disciplines suggests to me you don't) then by all means go for an apprenticehip. If on the other hand you don't know for sure what you want to do, then picking a more general way of continuing in education may be a better bet to help keep your options open.

Thanks for all the help (Y) At the moment i am think of going to college then do a level 3 apprenticeship. Also at the moment i want to do construction because i like to make UK trials or BMX parks or both.

Joel.

Bucky you are in the exact same situation as me, Ford dealer trained.

You with remit? arent they just the biggest pricks going..............I hate them

yeah im in my third year of college block training.

yeah i hate those f**kers they are so useless.

messed up my key skills certificates when changing colleges(f**k knows why they changed from newcastle to blackpool) so wasted 2 years and having to re do them when i should be concentrating on passing all the ford modules.

btw canyou remember what your wages was in your thrid year??? just out of intrest as mine differs from other apprentices in ford garages near me so wonderign what yours is like down there.

cheers

bucky.

anyways yeah go for which ever you want to do for the rest of your life.