Avid Ulitimate Vs Hs33's!

Camster911

Its obivously the ultimate, but i suppose its more down to personal opinion. I love my ultimate, its either on or off. No modulation, people always say that v brakes are rubbish. Get a decently setup v brake and im sure you will convert..

From Lee

PRO's

Avid ultimate - affordable easy to fix...-

Magura - best rim brake on the market -

CON's

Avid Ultimate - there a V brake-

Magura - expensive-

hmmmm not strictly true, ultimates are quite expensive, although the recent price drop does make them far more in reach for the average rider, its debateable whether maguras are the best rim brake either, i personally think they are naff pieces of cheese, others cherish them

in your pros and cons you dont justify you reasons- saying, there a v brake, means nothing as there are several reasons why a v brake is better than a magura, again others will disagree, then saying maguras being expensive-well 100quid for a pair of brakes doesnt sound bad to me? even though they do need another 50 or so spent on them to get them trials worthy(new pads, booster, possibly new mounts too...)

its more than likely you have no real experience with v brakes and are judging by others opinions, or from the 100quid bike you got from argos with the cheapest plastic v brakes known to man...seems to be a common reason as to why people dont like them

I love my ultimate, its either on or off. No modulation

thats more down to the ceramic rim lee :) if you faf with the speed dial on your lever you can get some modulation :) i found the other day somebody had faffed with the speed dial on my ultimate lever to make it easier to modulate, and the brake felt really cool in a weird way :)

Yes, his experience with a vbrake was a tektro v brake, and he moaned that it slipped when he backhopped. Just because you have had one bad experience with a sh*t vbrake, doesn't mean they all are. And paul, I hate you, you ruined my arguement! (N) not pleased! :P

From Lee

Well you missed out. By the way, replying to the top 10 post's isnt going to get you validated. And if you use the search function im sure there was a sponsor thread not long ago....

From Lee

Cool! Nice for you I've started my own now :S But anyways, getting validated isn't all for me, I'm here to have fun, and here from you what you can do! (Y)

ok? so you dont want any of the benfits of being validated, like being able to post anywhere in the forum, and being able to PM.

Its your loss..

From Lee

What's so funny with that? If I have something to say to someone who's validated I can take it by e-mail simple, and I can read the other posts anyway! So yeah it's my loss!

Its every man for them self.Yeh lots of people say v brakes are crap and they would never use them over magura's but others will swear by using them.Its down to YOU whether YOU want to use them and whether YOU think so and so is better than so and so.

I have ovation v's and i know they are a crap make but they work great for me.I spend lots of time setting them up now and then and they are absolutely fine.I havent spent a penny on them and they came standard on my da bomb,with pro max pads so it just go's to show set up means everything.And cleanliness helps too.

My brakes dont feel any worse than my mates rear magura and front magura louise disc he has on his t-mag.

What's so funny with that? If I have something to say to someone who's validated I can take it by e-mail simple, and I can read the other posts anyway! So yeah it's my loss!

To be honest mate, you do seem to come across to me as abit of a Pratt, if your happy to be in the New-Members section then good for you but arguening with someone does nothing but annoy the person who has made the Topic and everyone else on the forum for having to read through your argument to find some info. Everyone's here for the same reason so just try get along.

i run a avid 7 on the front and i must say that it is more powerful than my 05 magura hs33 even with heatsinks on a grind my avid with normal pads were more powerful.

but the avid 7 lever has gave me a blister on my index finger which does occasionally start to hurt when i ride all day

both are good brakes in my opinion as long as you no how to set them up correctly (set pads up square etc.)

hope this helps mate

cheers ric