Photo People - Please Help Me

MadsP

Evening,

I'm going to buy a good SLR-D camera. something that will last long. I hate the 350D, pretty simple :P

hm, right now I'm taking pictures of everything.. with a EOS 1000 film camera. pretty much 15 years old I think.. Now I'm going to get a digital camera. I hate everything else than Canon, and the rest of my stuff is canon :P

Should I spend a the extra $$ on the new 30D? I cant afford something like the 5D..

What extra stuff would you reckon I should get when I'm buying? any "cheap" wide angle lenses to recommend me?

thanks..

/mads peter

oh btw, any good/cheap online stores from the UK that ships to Denmark?

Get the 30d, its just cooler.

Check out warehouseexpress.com, they have it for £900 body only, which would be ok as you have lenses i guess...

Whats wrong with the 350D? Im guessing most canon digi's are gunna be fairly similar.

Not too sure about Canons myself knowledge wise but the 20D is a very sought after camera. As the 30D hasn't been proven yet I'm not sure, although i'm sure Canon know EXACTLY what their doing, making it a very hard decision.

I know that the 30D has multiple exposure, meaning you can create one frame with the movement of one object like in photoshop but straight from camera, or so I hear.

If I was you i'd go for a 30D but i'm sure as new cameras are released, older ones like the 20D will be cheaper i'd imagine? or become cheaper and maybe you could spend the extra on some L glass.

The decision is yours :P

Rob has a good point.

The upgrades from 20d to 30d are only minor, things like a bigger screen and longer life of the shutter. So if you are a bit tight for cash, then get the 20d and L glass.

But the 30D will be a better investment imo.

I have a 10D and love it - the build quality is superb, maybe look for one second hand and save some money that can be spent on better lenses.

As for a cheap wide angle lens, i bought a 18-125mm Sigma lens to take with me around South America, i wanted something with a decent range of focal lengths, but cheap enough so that i wouldnt worry too much about damage. The results were pretty good considering it only cost about £150 on Ebay, but obviously not up the L-series quality. When im back at uni i will be posting some photos in the photo tread so you can see the quality for yourself, either that or look for the deviant art thread on here, there is a link to my profile in there. If you want any hi-res images to check out, let me know.

Just to contradict the previous post, don't get a second hand 10D, the 20D is a significant step forward, especially in the AF performance and burst buffer. The 10D suffers from pretty inconsistant AF performance, especially if you're using lenses slower than F2.8.

The 30D has a bigger screen, spot metering function - very handy in some circumstances - and users are reporting slightly improved AF performance over the 20D, though this hasn't been officially verified. You can also switch the motordrive speed from 3fps to 5fps if you wish.

If it was my money... I'd go with the 20D unless there is a good enough reason to spend an extra £100-£200 on the 30D. For me, the spot meter is a good enough reason, but that's not something I'd really use when shooting trials. Prices for the 30D are now sub £900, and even £800 if you look around.

If you do want a new 20D, then move quickly as stocks are being run down. Big camera shops here are jessops.com warehouseexpress.com Park Cameras and London Camera Exchange. It can often be cheaper though to try other European dealers such as http://www.technik-direkt.de or even bhphoto.com or digitalrev.com if you're willing to go outside of Europe.

As for a wide angle, it depends how big the hole in your lens range is, and how much you want to spend. The 18-125 may cover too much focal length if you have other lenses - say a 24-85. Depending on how much you want to spend, I'd consider a Tamron 17-35 for £330 or the Sigma version for £300. Going to L lenses - such as the 17-40L are going to cost upwards of £600.

What may be more suitable is going for a wide angle prime lens. I love my Sigma 20mm which you can get in a Canon fit for £250, or even a fish eye - though Sigma have just bumped up their prices on this. You may be able to pick one up for £300. You may lose a bit of convience without a zoom, but the quality is second to none. They're also especially fast, the 20mm is F1.8!

I'd definately go for a 20D, my dad has one, and it really is great. I've been reading up on the 30D and Chris has allready pointed out the main advantages, but for most people, they're isn't £200 worth of advantages.

While i am sure F-Stop Junkie has his reasons for his opinion, i must disagree. I have test driven a friends 20D, and whilst i will concede that the start up time is far superior, I have noticed no discernable difference in AF performance, even on moving objects using the AF SERVO function. As for Spot-metering, i dont believe it is truly necessary if you can use exposure lock effectively.

As for lenses, sure if you can afford it, an array of prime lenses are always going to out perform zoom lenses, but on a budget i would still recommend the zoom in my previous post.

While i am sure F-Stop Junkie has his reasons for his opinion, i must disagree. I have test driven a friends 20D, and whilst i will concede that the start up time is far superior, I have noticed no discernable difference in AF performance, even on moving objects using the AF SERVO function. As for Spot-metering, i dont believe it is truly necessary if you can use exposure lock effectively.

As for lenses, sure if you can afford it, an array of prime lenses are always going to out perform zoom lenses, but on a budget i would still recommend the zoom in my previous post.

I find my 10D can sometimes get crazy if I'm using a lens slower than F2.8. I've taken many good shots with it, but missed quite a few too. The 20D AF consists of more sensors, and is regarded generally as more accurate.

Quote from dpreview.com

All-new 9-point AF system

The EOS 20D gets an all new (not seen on any other SLR) nine point AF system which has its AF points in a diamond pattern. It's quite noticeably faster than than the EOS 10D and has better low light working range (-0.5 EV compared to 0.5 EV). Note that the center point is a 'cross type' sensor when used with lenses with a maximum aperture of F2.8 or faster.

Spot metering is useful on small areas. The 10D/20D metering centre circle covers about 9% of the image from memory. I've certainly had need for spot metering, for example in Rome when I'm after specific metering of a complex image.

If the guy owns - say - a 24-85 and 70-300, then why get a 18-125 too? It replicates far too much of the range. Why not get one lens - say a 20mm, or a 17-35 - to cover just the the wide angle aspect he needs? This will give a far better controlled distortion than an 18-125, generally have far higher max aperture, and give better images. A 20mm lens could be a useful wide angle step as an option. That's what I did when I just had a 28-75mm. I'm not suggesting that a full selection of primes is the way forward. Down that path madness lies!